The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
t45

Taurus 605 357mag for CCW?

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the Taurus Mod 605 SS 2"? I like the size and cost of it and think it might be a good CCW but dont much about it.
Old December 17, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
bigghoss

I had one and it was not good. I sold mine for a ruger sp101. slightly heavier but worth it. the cylinder pin would get stuck on mine and I took a round file to it. some people use a drill press but it's a common problem. the fit on the taurus wasn't great either. get a ruger or smith and save yourself some money in the long run.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3
ATW525

I had a 650, which is the concealed hammer DAO version of the 605. Never had any problems with it, and found it to be controllable with moderately loaded magnums. The wife has it now, and it still works as good as ever.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:04 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Taurus wheel guns...

I'd think a Taurus 605 .357magnum should fit your needs well.
Finding a decent concealment holster may be a bit hard but many good brands are on the US market; Bianchi, Don Hume, Milt Sparks, Galco, etc.

I owned a new Taurus Protector .357magnum(total Ti) in the mid 2000s.
I had a CC license at the time & used a DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster.

For carry loads, I'd suggest a +P or +P+ .38spl backed up by some .357magnum rounds(125gr JHP or 110gr JHP).
A CorBon/Glaser Safety Slug, Hornady Critical Defense or Magsafe round in .357magnum could do it too.
With any snub, recoil, muzzle flash & noise can be big problems.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
dallascj

I have a Taurus 605 3" and I love it. I added a Hogue Monogrip to mine as the recoil from magnum loads was pretty painful, to me, with the factory grips. I ordered a Texas Heritage IWB holster from Tucker Gunleather, but haven't received it yet.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:38 PM   #6
dalegribble

i have a 605, great little gun, good ccw piece. it is a little harsh with magnum loads. i prefer to shoot 38's but love the ability to shoot both 357's and 38's thru it.
Old December 18, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
Finding a decent concealment holster may be a bit hard but many good brands are on the US market; Bianchi, Don Hume, Milt Sparks, Galco, etc.
Anything for a j-frame smith should work, as long as it will accommodate a .357 length cylinder. No problem with leather, but there's a lot more closely molded kydex for .38s than .357s.

Quote:
i have a 605, great little gun, good ccw piece. it is a little harsh with magnum loads.
My experience is exactly the same.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 18, 2010, 05:22 PM   #8
badge851

Re: Taurus 605 357mag for CCW?

The Taurus® 605 is an EXCELLENT CHOICE for a concealed carry revolver. I have the Mdl 605SS2 and it's my EDCG. Taurus® revolvers are very good guns, I know as I have 7 of them, and, I'm purchasing my 8th after the New Year. Taurus® is the only manufacturer that gives a lifetime warranty on their guns, EVEN IF YOU BUY IT USED. Colt® doesn't, Ruger® doesn't, S&W® doesn't; only Taurus®. This is what I use for my carry load...............

Buffalo Bore® 38 Special+P 158gr LSWCHPGC

For far more information go
HERE
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old December 18, 2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Laker

I have a Taurus 605SS2. It is my EDC, and has been for quite some time. It has also seen it's fair share of range time. It's accurate, reliable, and I trust it completely. I've changed the grips to Hogues, and carry it in a Don Hume JIT. It's on my belt as I type.
Old December 18, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10
bdb benzino

I had a blued 605 and it was a nice gun, accurate and well built. I also have a 905 9mm snub that is a little tighter in lockup, so the 905 stayed and 605 got traded. From my experience doing research when I bought my 605, most owners have very positive things to say about it, and it seems to be one of Taurus better pistols. Good luck!
Old December 23, 2010, 04:12 PM   #11
hootey

Taurus 605

Have a 605 that I shot the fire out of. I love it! For a snubby it will surprise you how accurate it is. Only thing to be careful about, is Muzzle Blast. Mine is Magna-Ported, this makes it very controllable with full power mags. The flip side is how loud the report is and the muzzle blast. Both are amazing. I hope I never have to use it without hearing protection, I garon'tee some hearing loss if I ever do. Other than that, a great weapon!
Old December 23, 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Webleymkv

Taurus does not have as good a reputation for quality control and customer service as S&W or Ruger. That being said, I've not personally experienced any QC issues with Taurus that would prevent me from buying another. My problem with Taurus is that the resale value of their products is, well, abysmal. If you decide that you'd rather have something else, you'll come much closer to getting your money back out of a Ruger or S&W.

If you get a good one (thoroughly inspecting the gun before buying it should illuminate 99% of potential issues) and if you don't plan on selling it, then a Taurus 605 would make a servicable CC gun. It is basically the Taurus version of the S&W M60 although the trigger and finish probably won't be as good as a S&W. Most holster designed for a S&W M60 should fit a Taurus 605
Old December 23, 2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Taurus® is the only manufacturer that gives a lifetime warranty on their guns, EVEN IF YOU BUY IT USED
Depending on the age of the used Taurus you buy of course. I believe any made before 1984 are not covered under the lifetime warranty.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Taurus after my NIB M85 siezed up solid with less than 250 rounds through it. Their lifetime warranty work is pretty hit or miss too. I no longer own a Taurus and won't buy another.

With that said, I'm sure you can get a good Taurus. From what I've seen, a good one can be very good but if you get a bad one, you'll likely have a very bad one.

I'd suggest looking close at a Ruger or used S&W before I put my money down on any other gun. You'll pay more for a Ruger or a S&W, but you'll notice the difference.

And for the record, Ruger doesn't warranty their guns at all but they have an outstanding reputation for customer service. It's one thing to talk about your lifetime warranty and it's another thing to actually stand behind your product.

You'll get all kinds of opinions on here, good and bad. Certainly do your own research and look at a lot of different guns before you plunk down your cash.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 23, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:58 AM   #14
8shot357

Quote:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Taurus after my NIB M85 siezed up solid with less than 250 rounds through it. Their lifetime warranty work is pretty hit or miss too. I no longer own a Taurus and won't buy another.
"I see" said the blind man.

Been there! At least S&W and Ruger pays ($$$$) shipping for repairs.