The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Tex S

Too hot for reloading

I am currently set up to reload in my garage. The only problem is I live in North Texas and in a few months temperatures will be exceeding 110 degrees in my work area. I have already made arrangements to stash my powders and other heat sensitive stuff in the house.

Does anybody else run into the same problem with excessive heat? How do you deal with it? I have thought about fans but I know they will not do well with my scales. I have also contemplated dropping an A/C duct into the garage, but I know this would cost me a fortune in energy usage.

I am running out of ideas. I do not want to shut production down for the summer, but I also know that there is no way to bear the Texas heat inside my garage.

Any ideas???

Last edited by Tex S; May 3, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old May 3, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
JCS1

Too hot for reloading.

You might try moving to Alaska. They don't have that problem.
I miss my wife but my aim is getting better.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Tex S

Thanks JC, but I was looking for a less evasive alternative.

Not a bad idea though... Hmmmmmm...
Old May 3, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
capbuster

I load in my basement and being in the heart of Dixie we do have our hot days. You might opt for the use of a good fan and either turn it off when you use your scale or build a three sided box for your scale to keep the air flow off it while you take advantage of the cooling breeze. take care.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
D. Manley

Maybe it's possible to drop in a window (or, thru-wall) A/C unit. Only energy costs is when it's running. I have a 30'X33' stand-alone boat house/shop with a wall dividing it down the middle. I use 1 through-wall A/C unit on each side (with heating elements too) and it works nicely for me.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
bigautomatic

Sounds like you are running out of options. Start pulling that press handle now while its still cool. Or, load at night.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Steviewonder1

Hot to Reload

I just moved all of my reloading stuff to a Locked Storage facility using one of their small conditioned air lockers. Very nice behind 2 electric gates and the lock on the door. Used Home Boxes to get the stuff in plus the table. All is well near enough to the house.....
Old May 3, 2009, 10:45 PM   #8
feets

Loading at night won't do it. We have the fortune of 90+ degree nights. it doesn't cool off at night in the summer.
I have the luxury of reloading in an otherwise unused room. We don't have basements in DFW.

Insulate the garage as best you can. Be sure to get solar fans and other stuff to vent the hot air out of the attic. That will help reduce the really high temps in the garage.
Toss in a window unit A/C but be sure to have it connected to a light inside the house. That way you can tell if you left the A/C on when you're done.
You have to plan ahead to cool off the garage before you load.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:29 PM   #9
gb_in_ga

Quote:
I am currently set up to reload in my garage. The only problem is I live in North Texas and in a few months temperatures will be exceeding 110 degrees in my work area. I have already made arrangements to stash my powders and other heat sensitive stuff in the house.
I'm also in North Texas, just a bit to the east of you. Yes, I know about the heat. We moved here a couple of years ago, and ended up getting a somewhat larger house than we had planned on. It turns out that I've got my own room for "my" use. Inside. In the A/C. I keep my reloading bench sparse and compact because I've got to use the room for the rest of my activities, too, but it means that I'm not concerned about how hot it gets in the summer.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:30 PM   #10
Tex S

I think the widow unit sounds like the best idea. Its brick all the way around my garage so half in half out is not possible. I think I can probably route the hot air it makes through a duct and run it through the ceiling.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Does anybody else run into the same problem with excessive heat? How do you deal with it?
Reload in the air conditioned house.

If you have a mega-setup, this may not be practical. But I used C clamps to clamp my press to the kitchen table (or another suitable surface.) Ditto the powder measure. Its a little slower, having to set up and tear down the press and stuff between sessions, but its faster than waiting until fall.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:53 PM   #12
Swampghost

I don't reload now, but do work in the garage and have a little 5,000 BTU unit stuffed into a window. It keeps a one car garage on the north side of the house quite tolerable in the heat of the summer.

!!!! Tying into your home system is illegal here due to the potential for CO (carbon monoxide) from car exhaust to migrate back into the home. There's no way that a car will ever be in MY garage but you have to consider the next buyer and what can happen in the future. I'm a contractor.

I see a window-shaker in your future. Figure out how many sq. ft. and head for the local box store.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:03 AM   #13
feets

I also have my press bolted to a piece of 2x4 and c-clamped to an old desk.

Maybe that's an option for you?
Old May 4, 2009, 07:20 AM   #14
xsquidgator

Cheapest, quickest thing is a big fan. Even moving hot air around helps. I'm in central FL and it's gotten pretty darned hot here too, maybe not quite as much but I have the same problem. I have a side door from the garage to my backyard and having the garage door up and the fan moving air in through the car entry and out the side door seems to help a lot. I'm considering putting sliding screen doors over my garage doors to keep the bugs out since that's a problem too.

Just stack a few items like boxes or what-have-you on 2 or 3 sides around your scale to keep air movement from affecting the reading.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:45 AM   #15
MDB

I am also in the same situation. I load from October untill the "Texas Heat" arrives. My ammo boxes are full and I am almost out of brass. I am ready.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:44 AM   #16
jmorris

When I started reloading I had to use the garage now that I own my own home I reload inside. I have a dedicated room for reloading but if you (or the Mrs.) can't do that you might look into a black and decker workmate portable bench so you can load cool and sleep well under the same roof.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:10 PM   #17
James R. Burke

I live in Michigan and load in the basement. The heat is always o.k. here but I watch for the humidity. If it gets to high I will just wait to another day.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:18 PM   #18
SemperFly

Heat

Portable a/c unit might work for you too, depending upon your space size. Can be pushed out of the way, not a lot of excessive movements like you get from big fans, and less work to install.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:22 PM   #19
Russ5924

What is wrong with reloading in the house????
Old May 5, 2009, 06:33 PM   #20
fishin4bogey

You can get "window" units that mount into a wall. Here in South Florida a lot of duplexes have them. Knock out appropriate size opening, insert A/C unit, wire to 220v and enjoy!
Old May 5, 2009, 06:40 PM   #21
howlnmad

to hot?

The kitchen counter makes a fantastic reloading bench. There is room to mount everything you could ever need. I'm sure the missus will be okay that. Won't she?
Old May 6, 2009, 10:09 AM   #22
AlaskaMike

Quote:
You might try moving to Alaska. They don't have that problem.
I dunno, we've been having a heat wave up here--it got up into the high 60's last weekend here in Anchorage. If it keeps up I'm not sure what we'll do.

Mike
Old May 6, 2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Nate1778

Quote:
I load in my basement and being in the heart of Dixie we do have our hot days.

Problem is Texans don't know what a basement is, your going to have to define this term. I have been blown away by this every time I visit Texas. Just south of the tornado capitol of the country and you guys don't have one basement..........
Old May 6, 2009, 04:47 PM   #24
goldfacade

A/C your garage. Thats what I am in the process of doing. You would be surprised at the technology that is out there now. My garage door has an R factor of 10, some blanket insulation on the wall-R-14, some drywall or OSB, a mini-split A/C system, and there you have it; a wife who is real mad that you spent that kind of money so you could be cool while you reload
Old May 6, 2009, 06:51 PM   #25
TJG0781

air

Hey Tex S
I'm in the same boat. I live in Forth Worth and I'm set up in my Morgan building on the side of the house. I'm thinking of getting one of those small floor mount A/C units I saw at Walmart last summer. As I recall they were under $100.00.
Good luck