The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Dillon 55b Progressive reloader descrepancy

The reloader seats bullets from .001 - 004" deeper when using it as a single stage press then it does when using it progressively (cartridge in all 4 stations).
Anyone else experience this proglem and do you have an explanation?
Old February 26, 2009, 07:16 AM   #2
cgaengineer

I would say .001-.004 would be really hard to measure...most of the time I see OAL between .001-.020 depending on the type and quality of bullet. Since the seater die is most likely seating on the ogive of the bullet, OAL may vary a bit...especially in a hollow point.
Old February 26, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
dlb435

I had ordered a shell plate from Dillon and got a bad one. They replaced it ASAP. If your shell plate is a little too thight, it will hold the edge of the case a bit high. With seating in stage #3 and resize in stage #1, this would cause a little variation in seating. Also check that you have the shell plate adjusted properly. Refere to the manual or call Dillon.
Old February 26, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Lilswede1

I called Dillon

(Shoulda done it first thing). After describing problem the expert just said "is that all, boy that a good machine".
Upward pressure will vary with how hard the case is to resize and the die holder plate is not an "exact metal to metal fit" so thus the variance in seating depth.
I am anal about OAL and freebore so I will make a shim for the die holder plate and see it it will tighten up a bit.
Anyone else have suggestions - would gladly look at them.
Old February 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #5
PCJim

Lil, the variance you are providing is minimal, unless you are looking for match grade ammo. If you are wanting match grade ammo, you should consider a single stage "O" press. Even then, you will most likely still have some COL variance due to manufacturing variances in bullets as aforementioned.

Other ideas.... You could simply operate your 550b always as a progressive or always as a single stage. There also may be some seating dies that work better than what you are currently using. Maybe some other members can make some recommendations.
Old February 26, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
Dillon 55b Progressive reloader descrepancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reloader seats bullets from .001 - 004" deeper when using it as a single stage press then it does when using it progressively (cartridge in all 4 stations).
Anyone else experience this proglem and do you have an explanation?
You've answered your own question. Having cases in all stations provides a different balance to the shellplate/toolhead relationship than just one case in the seating station. If you want to run it that way and the difference bothers you, just adjust the seating die a tad to compensate. Truth is, the difference you quote is insignificant anyway especially when, using calipers to measure.
Old February 26, 2009, 01:25 PM   #7
cgaengineer

If I only had .001 - .004 variation I would be as happy as a pig in [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! I aint seen it...even with match ammo.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
30Cal

Insignificant and I'd be surprised if you could see the affects on a target using a machine rested match rifle.
Old February 26, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Shoney

Lil
Are you using a coparator to measure OAL, or measuring from the tip of the bullet? If you are using the tip for OAL, the its like measuring @#%! in the wind. The tips of bullets will vary greatly, while measurements from the ojive will be more consistent.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 28, 2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Lilswede1

This may sound anal BUT===

I use several different methods of measurement. First I have a dummy fireformed round with a slit in the neck. I chamber this and then use calipers to measure tip to base. Then I take that bullet and use the Hornady (Stoney) OAL guage. I haven't been able to purchase the Comparator yet (everyone out of stock) so I use the RCBS Precision Mic Guage to ogive depth.
I then load the round using the same bullet and measure both the OAL (tip to base) and ogive depth after loading.
The Sierra Blitzking has been the more accurate. .001 - 004" variance.
Noslers are also very good.
Vmax, you gotta pay attention to Lot #'s. .030" + from one lot to another.
The confirguation of the bullet is even visually different.
Tomorrow I will go to the shooting range and see if all this tells me anything.
I'm an owner/operator of a self loading log truck in NW Washington and work has been REALLY slow (non-existent) - I have time to mess with this stuff and it keeps me from going nuts worrying about work.
Old February 28, 2009, 12:18 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Lil from what I have heard from friends with 550's that is normal.
Quote:
If I only had .001 - .004 variation I would be as happy as a pig in [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! I aint seen it...even with match ammo.
Just curious what type of press and dies you are using? I use a cheap Lee classic turret with Lee dies and have never been off more than .003 measuring from base to tip. That is with three pistol calibers and 223 for my AR.
Rusty
Old February 28, 2009, 02:27 PM   #12
cgaengineer

I am using Hornady and RCBS dies only on a Hornady LNL AP Press. For benchrest rifle I am using a RCBS Single Stage.

OAL depends greatly on quality of bullets, but for Rainiers I have seen very large differences, with MATCH rifle ammo its alot less.
Old February 28, 2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Semper Paratus

Now a small variation in LOA or oal based on whether the shell plate is full or not should be expected. You can feel it in nothing but the difference in force, on the handle required to cycle the machine, more force with a full shell plate (more force means more flex). If consistant oal is that important ensure that you are doing everything consistently. Set up with a full shell plate or only a single casing in the seating position and work from there. .001 to .004" is nothing to get tweaked up about.

Some of the experts, especially in the Highpower realm load with "accurized" 550s. I can categorically say that I am not a good enough shooter to note that kind of improvement. My .223 loads out of my Model 70 light weight shoot right around 1" at 100 loaded on my 550B. They have been responsible for the demise of a large number of fat ground hogs ranging from 15 yards to 270 long steps down hill (I'm 6'4" tall so I make that to be about 300 yds) with most taken from 150 to 200 yards. Accurate enough for my purposes ? Yes Could they be better? Possibly but it would probably take a better outfit and shooter to realize it.