The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1
figjam

Powder

Hello from a newbie reloader
I am getting started on reloading 9mm and would like to know what powder is prefered by those in the know any advice is very welcomed thanx
Old July 31, 2008, 09:16 PM   #2
welder05

I used Red Dot for 9 mm. Worked fine maybe not the first choice but I had a lot on hand as I also reload for 45 acp. 1 lbs. will last you a long time.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
Hello from a newbie reloader
I am getting started on reloading 9mm and would like to know what powder is prefered by those in the know any advice is very welcomed thanx
Lots of good powders. My suggestion (FWIW) is to acquire at least one good load manual or more, if possible. You can also visit the websites of the various powder manufacturers (Alliant, Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR, Accurate, Vithavuori, Ramshot, etc.) and download their on-line data versions. Each will offer powder/bullet combinations that will perform acceptable in most calibers/bullet types.

That out of the way, everyone has their favorites and I have mine. In 9MM, WSF and Silhouette are favorites. I also like Vithavuori N-330 and 3-N-37 but the VV powders are a bit pricey. Power Pistol and HS-6 have huge followings (with good reason) but shooting indoors most of the time my preference goes toward those with less flash and muzzle blast. You'll probably get a lot of suggestions for Titegroup as well. I find it accurate enough but I just don't care for the "feel" and if it's not running at higher pressures, doesn't seem to burn cleanly. As I said, lots of powders...if all I had was WSF or Silhouette (either of them), I'd not miss the others.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4
zxcvbob

My 9mm BHP likes maximum loads of either Green Dot or Bullseye.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Smaug

Well, there are a lot of factors.

I like Bullseye, but partly because it works well for all non-magnum pistol loads. I use it for light loads in magnum revolvers and all loads for non magnum. It isn't feasible to have the ideal powder for every caliber, once you have more than a couple to load for. As someone else said, a pound bottle of powder goes a long way for non magnum pistol cartridges. While you're getting through that pound, you can experiment with different bullets and charges. By the time you're through it, you'll have a very good idea of how that powder works. Next time, try something else that someone else really likes. (if you can get it) After a couple times, you'll notice that some are cleaner, some are more economical (need less charge for the loads, such as Clays) etc.

Another factor is what you can buy locally. I don't buy powder or primers online, as I don't like getting hit with the huge HazMat fee just for the small quantities of powder & primers I buy. Locally, I can only get Hodgdon and Alliant powders, so that played a part too.

I believe Unique is about the most versatile handgun powder, but I thought it was too dirty.

So my recommendation is to:

a) See what you can get locally

b) Buy the Lyman reloading manual (the least biased and most wide-ranging data) and the free manuals from the powder manufacturers that can be obtained locally for you. If you have reloading equipment, you probably already have that mfr's reloading book. Find the online data for the bullets you'll be using. When you put this all together, you'll know where to go next.

If you just want a flat-out recommendation, I like Bullseye for fast-burning pistol calibers. (9mm, 45 ACP)

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 31, 2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Loader9

I like AA5 or HS-6 in a 9mm. These powders also work well in 38 Super, 40SW and 45 ACP. I also load Unique but it has more felt recoil than these. Unique has a sharp recoil whereas the others are more of a push.
Old August 2, 2008, 06:04 PM   #7
458winshooter

9mm powders

Blue dot,winchester-231,Hs-6,AA-7,Bullseye,are all good choises.231 may be one to consider as it burns cleaner.I personally use Unique for all my 9mm loads.I will caution you though, it is very dirty and you had better plan on alot more cleanings if you use it.That said Unique gives top or near best velocities in all weights of bullets for the 9mm.
Old August 2, 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
joneb

Do you reload for other handgun cartridges ? If so what powders do you have on hand ? 9mm Luger is one of the last cartridges I would reload for, so if I did I would try a powder I already have, like Bullseye, W-231, AA#5, or HS-6.
Old August 2, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
doug66

I would buy a lb. of Herco.
Old August 2, 2008, 11:00 PM   #10
bluetopper

Power Pistol, American Select, Universal.
Old August 3, 2008, 12:23 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Winchester 231.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 3, 2008, 06:32 AM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

W231/HP-38 and HS-6 are my "go to" powders for 9mm.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Threefeathers

I have 2K of 9mm stored and have used all of the above.
I won't use Bullseye any more for the same reason Col Jeff Cooper wouldn't use it, it is too fine and is too easy to get a double load. The good Colonel put it in his column several times.
That said my absolutely favorite powder for 9mm is PB. This has been around since WW2 when it was used by the military for pistol bullets and it is as good now as it ever was.
Old August 3, 2008, 12:00 PM   #14
strait shooter

AA#5
Old August 3, 2008, 03:10 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

only one?

Alliant Power Pistol.

Why?

Because it is versatile under bullets weights ranging from 115g to 151g;
because it meters easily;
because it burns cleanly, enough so that many rds may be fired before action-stopping fouling occurs;
because it is economical in cost and charge weights;
because it offers demonstrated accuracy (current popular Bullseye discipline 9x19 choice);
because it is 'safe', in that it is difficult to over-charge a case without it being noticeable;
because it is readily available;
because data is readily available, widespread, and current;
because it can safely generate high velocities;
because it works.

More than one?
Add 3N37 and HS6 and Silhouette and W231.

This advice is not lightly considered; it is most carefully considered.

Me? I use mostly WAP; man I still gotta lotta WAP.
Old August 3, 2008, 03:36 PM   #16
enstorm

Power Pistol for the "self defense" load in 147 g bullet and American Select for accuracy loads in the 125 g. I like the Montana Gold fmj with the American Select. Power Pistol is also a great powder for .40 in 180 g. weight.