The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 4, 2007, 02:52 PM   #1
cdoc42

Silencer, anyone?

Does anyone know why silencers are illegal? The most obvious answer is to aid law enforcement in indentifying the location of a current shooter. But surely most crimes involving weapons have been committed before the police arrive on the scene.

Given the well-known hazards to hearing associated with continuous handgun and rifle use, it seems to me silencers would be a health care item on every gun enthusiast's list.
Old March 4, 2007, 02:56 PM   #2
sanson

I would like a quieter report just to not offend neighbors
Old March 4, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
mxwelch

Quote:
Does anyone know why silencers are illegal? The most obvious answer is to aid law enforcement in indentifying the location of a current shooter. But surely most crimes involving weapons have been committed before the police arrive on the scene.

Given the well-known hazards to hearing associated with continuous handgun and rifle use, it seems to me silencers would be a health care item on every gun enthusiast's list.
They're not illegal to own (in most states) they're regulated. I've never heard of a reason for regulation is for identifying the location of a shooter and I would laugh at the idea that it would help reduce crime. The main reason I understand they're regulated is because of poaching.

I agree with the second part. Once you lose hearing it doesn't return. I love shooting suppressed and I plan on threading just about everything I own.
Old March 4, 2007, 04:48 PM   #4
VUPDblue

Silencers were added to GCA 1934 because of fears of poaching durring the depression years. They were never removed as an NFA item and are still not illegal, just regulated.

As a side note: Damn, they are fun !
Old March 5, 2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Legion2600

Damn fun indeed! Nothing like the downrange thud of a 230 gr. hunk of metal slamming into something. Or the look of confusion a noisey crow gets when he looks around and sees his buddies suddenly rolling over on the ground. It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. LOL.
Old March 5, 2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Crosshair

Yea they were originaly added because of fears of poaching. Like many governemnt programs, they were never taken off as they should have been.
Old March 5, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
p99guy

It is odd that as controlling as a lot of European governments are, the suppressor is just looked upon as a polite thing to have, and one that prevent hearing loss (safety equipment) if it werent for the politics of it here OSHA would be screaming up and down for them.

The local outdoor range, would throw you out for having one(even though you have your tax stamp)...but would tell you to get your car fixed if you pulled up without a muffler(go figure)...the local indoor ranges are fine with suppressor use.....its Fudd factor in action.
Old March 5, 2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Oz_Shadow

I can see one downfall of them. If you had a weak load, I would think it would be less noticable as you would have to focus solely on the recoil. 2 in the barrel probably would not be much fun.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Maser

Yeah, silencers are truly fun. Now if only we could create a device to silence the sound of the sonic crack.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:46 PM   #10
VUPDblue

there is one. Backstop....
Old March 19, 2007, 02:02 AM   #11
waverunner0726

Hey, does anyone know if there's a silencer that will fit a ruger P-89 (9mm)?
Old March 19, 2007, 09:37 AM   #12
gdm

Sound suppressors are not illegal to own.They arent cheap but they are legal after you go through all the hoops ,wait and pay the tax for them.I am considering adding one to my makerov but not sure if the performance would outweigh the cost and paperwork as I dont shoot it that much but it would definatly be an improvement in fun and hearing.

They should be non regulated,cost much less and should be a requirement at ranges.Millions of ears would thank you.