The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2024, 03:58 PM   #1
Krieghoff K80

Who Are The World’s Top Shotgun Engravers?

Shotguns engraved by world’s top shotgun engravers are highly coveted and those guns bring a financial premium when they are sold, but the top 5 engraver’s shotguns rarely trade - and are often hard to find. When it comes to ranking the world’s best shotgun engravers, from any objective criteria, the top Krieghoff engraver is G. Stoegner (aka G. Stogner). G. Stoegner, with 7 Krieghoff “Guns of the Year,” far more than any other engraver, has graced their guns, with deep detailed engraving, with little in the way of precious metal ‘frills’ - just pure classic deep engraving.
What makes the G.Stoegner (aka G. Stogner) even more special and rare is that I understand that Stoegner is no longer working due to old age, so the market for G. Stoegner guns has become increasingly more scarce, collectible and more expensive. My understanding is that #2 on the list is Jana Schilling (who is also about to stop or has already stopped working) and then down the line from there, including 3. Goeser, 4. Reich, 4. Nonn (tie), and 5. Creative Arts. These are the ”names” to own.

Who are your favorite Gun Engravers? Please share names and photos?
Old March 13, 2024, 04:00 PM   #2
stuckinthe60s

therry duguet, va.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 13, 2024, 04:03 PM   #3
Krieghoff K80

Cool, I just checked out his work online. He is in Charlottesville which is near me. I would love to check it out in person. Thank you!!
Old March 27, 2024, 04:15 PM   #4
tmlynch

My daughter is in jeweler school in TN right now. She mentioned how she was looking forward to having a session with Jason Marchiafava (www.jfava.com), because his engraving is amazing.

She is correct; it is amazing. His gallery includes shotguns.

I don't know if he is "known" in gun circles, but if I had a bunch of money to throw at engraving a gun, I'd want to talk to him.
Old March 27, 2024, 04:19 PM   #5
tmlynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
therry duguet, va.
His work is awesome.
Old March 27, 2024, 10:27 PM   #6
FITASC

Fracassi - father and daughter
Torcolli
Perdersoli
Ken Hunt
Creative Arts

And a host of many others
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2024, 10:30 PM   #7
FITASC

Fracassi engraved this knife for Fabbri - makers of the best shotguns

Here's another:
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 4, 2024, 09:46 AM   #8
Ricklin

If one were to see only the engraving, I would think photograph. Stunning.

Tags
g. stoegner , jana schilling , krieghoff , shotgun engravers