The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 13, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Darker Loaf

.22 LR Kit Gun: SP 101 chopped to a snub

The idea is to have a .22 LR kit gun: something small that works reliably, but is fun enough to plink with. I have a 4.4" 22/45 Lite with a VQ accurizing kit installed by VQ, so I have a decent long range plinker in .22 LR. My idea was to chop a 4" SP 101 to the length of 2.25" SP 101 .357 Snubbie, and get trigger work done.

Who would be best to go to for this type of custom work? I looked at Gemini Custom, but would love suggestions.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Want a kit gun?

Buy a S&W model 63 and be done with it.

Willie

Old December 13, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Darker Loaf

Point taken, a Model 63 is super close to what I want, but with a little too much barrel. But what I want is more like a 317, but made of steel. I thought about getting a Ruger LCR 22, that's pretty close to fitting the bill as well. I'm not sure the LCR 22 or the 317 are "me-proof" or not. It has been suggested to me that 317 won't last 1000's of rounds and daily carry.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
jabraun98

The lcr in .38 is a great gun! I imagine it will still be great in .22! The trigger on the one I shot was great!
Jabraun
Old December 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
Who would be best to go to for this type of custom work?
I would go to my local gun smith. It might help us if you let us know where you live.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
PetahW

SP-101's are Waaaaaay too heavy for making into a Kit Gun, and chopping the barrel won't make them much lighter.

Since 4" SP-101's are in somewhat of a demand, I'd sell it & buy a S&W 351PD .22Mag

Old December 13, 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Venom1956

Honestly I think he just likes building up guns. He does it every time. We must Humor him! Also any good smith in WI would be what he is looking for.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 13, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Want a kit gun?

Buy a S&W model 63 and be done with it.

Willie
It would fall apart, with any real use.
Have you seen the trash they've been putting on the market for the last 10-15 years? It's worthless.

He's talking about real revolvers, here.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

^^^ buy a new one? You must be joking.

My 30 year old one lives in my fishing tackle box and has had thousands of rounds put thru it. Good as new, scotchbrite pad scrub anually and you would think its a safe queen.

"Real Revolver"? This is one.

Best,

Willie

Old December 13, 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Obambulate

Stainless steel kit gun? You might consider the NAA Black Widow, Earl, or Sheriff. They are made from very hard stainless steel, weigh less than 10-oz, and carry quite easily. Various models have barrels of 2", 2.5", 3", 4", and even 6".

The quality is excellent, customer service is speedy and reliable, with lifetime warranty and the price is right at under $300 for the .22lr or .22 Magnum version, and a little over $300 for the combo version with both cylinders.

They are capable of good accuracy, but do require some experimentation and practice. The larger versions like those listed above are easier to shoot accurately than the smaller models designed for deep concealment.

The Magnums offer a pretty good deterrent against 2-legged varmints and medium-sized 4-legged predators like dogs and coyotes. There is snake shot available in both LR and Magnum. The LR cylinder makes for cheap practice and plinking.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Darker Loaf

You're right about the chopping not making them much lighter, true. They start out at 30 oz. It'd be hard to catch up with the weight of the 351PD at what 11 oz. I've lusted after that gun, too. I like .22M and don't mind the ammunition price for it. Like a cheap 9mm. How does it shoot and handle?

I waver between .22 LR and .22 WMR. Also, I've thought of the LCR 22.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:00 AM   #12
tubeshooter

Having a steel cylinder installed into a S&W model 317 would probably be closer to what you are looking for. They have done this for some people before.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Darker Loaf

tubeshooter: So Smith and Wesson would be the people to ask? Their performance center? Or does somebody sell cylinders of for guns?
Old December 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Darker Loaf

Obamulate, on the Earl/Black Widow, NAA, I've been intrigued, but the bottom line for me buying guns is that even though I may buy them for a secondary purpose (CC, back-packing, kit gun, car gun, etc...), I buy my guns to shoot.

If it's not a super fun gun to shoot, I won't like it. I've held NAA micro revolvers before and they just don't seem like they'd be fun to shoot, since they aren't comfortable to hold. Though, I'm sure they are capable of some decent accuracy.

I've stayed away from complete mouse guns or two-finger guns. I own and carry a Kahr K9 Elite, since I can fit all of my fingers, just barely on the gun.

I think you and I were bs-ing in a different thread. I'd like a .22 mag in LCR or even just an LCR. A Smith with a steel cylinder would be cool, too. I just have a desire to have a small, almost tiny .22, that will run reliably. To me, that's a reason to own a revolver. Otherwise, I don't really have much of a reason to, save higher pressures and more ft-lbs of energy.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:04 PM   #15
psyfly

I missed any comment on what's wrong with the S&W 317?

Mine has a really awful trigger, but I think that can be fixed...

W
Old December 15, 2012, 07:26 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Many of the guns folks are talking about (including the OP) would be great if the idea of a kit gun is carry a lot, shoot very little. But, while there is no real definition of a kit gun, generally they are thought to be "smallish" and fairly light guns (not to be confused with SMALL and UBER LIGHT) with enough barrel, accuracy and umph to pot a rabbit, snake, grouse, etc. Most shooters couldn't do that beyond spittin distance with many of the guns metioned.

The OP already has a better kit gun than many of the guns mentioned including his chopped SP idea. His current gun may indeed be one of the best kit guns to comes down the pike for that matter. Heck, because of minimal weight savings the 4" SP makes more sense than a snub version.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; December 15, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #17
tubeshooter

Darker Loaf: Yes, S&W has done this for myself and others. There will be a cost associated with it.

I suppose you could try to get a cylinder from a S&W model 63 and have a gunsmith install it. Just letting S&W do it would be less trouble and probably a better bet. I am happy with the result, the gun is easier for me to shoot now and the steel cylinder will be tougher than an aluminum one would ever be.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing...
Old December 16, 2012, 12:53 AM   #18
Win73

Quote:
I missed any comment on what's wrong with the S&W 317?

Mine has a really awful trigger, but I think that can be fixed...
So far I have found nothing wrong with my 317-1. It is a joy to carry. Whenever I am out and about, whether hunting, riding my 4 wheeler, cutting fallen trees off the fence, changing out memory sticks and batteries in my game cameras, or just strolling in the woods, it is on my hip. It is so light that I don't even feel it being there. It never interferes with anything I do. So far I have killed multiple snakes and a possum with it. Now the only time I use my Ruger Mk II is at the range. And I took the LR cylinder out of my Single Six and only use it with the magnum cylinder.

And the trigger on my 317 isn't that bad.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:02 AM   #19
TennJed

athe Ruger LCR in 22lr is the gun you are looking for IMHO. My is absurdly fun to shoot. Perfect size for a "kit" too
Old December 16, 2012, 02:10 AM   #20
weblance

Taurus makes a 2" all steel(stainless or blue) Model 94. Sure beats the hell out of chopping an SP101 in half, plus if it gets dropped in the river or falls out of my holster and down a ravine, it wont make me sick, like my 317 or SP101 would.

Old December 16, 2012, 03:02 AM   #21
9mm

+2 Taurus 94's.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:26 AM   #22
rep1954

Plenty of these OM Ruger Bearcats floating around that are still good shooters. With the alloy frames and trigger gaurds they are light weight and I cant say that I've had any trouble trying to carry it on myself or in any pack type items. This one is still a great shooter after more than fifty years.

Last edited by rep1954; December 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #23
Obambulate

I have the LCR-22 and would probably pack that along on the trail, since it is light and weatherproof. The Black Widow is always with me as well. Neither is a traditional kit gun.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #24
tubeshooter

For the record, I think either a Bearcat (especially like that handsome alloy one posted), LCR-22 or or snub-nosed Taurus 94 would fit the bill very well without a lot of customization, chopping and whatnot. Those last 3 suggestions are pretty good IMHO.

A new S&W J-frame .22 will work too, but will cost more.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #25
weblance

I want to make another comment about my Taurus 94. It has adjustable sights, which you really want on a Kit Gun. The LCR and Bearcat have fixed sights. My SP101-22 has a square top fiber optic sight with a square notch rear sight. My 317 has a rounded top fiber optic front sight and a V notch rear. The 317 sight combo is very difficult for me to make an accurate shot with. The SP101 is much better. If you truly are going to use a snub over something with a 3 or 4" barrel, the Taurus has an advantage over the Bearcat and LCR-22 because of the adjustable sights. You also want a revolver that you can shoot Single Action, and the LCR-22 is DAO.