The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
ragwd

.45 reload OAL

Thanks for looking. I am new to reloading and have been lurking here and asking questions over the past few weeks. I did buy and read several times "abc's of reloading" and reading everything I can find on the internet. I read all the literature that came with the equipment, So I reloaded my first 25 rounds today. I used Sellior Belliot once fired, that I shot and saved because I thought I would reload someday, I used Federal primers that recessed any where from .003 to .007, I used 230 grains ball FMJ, and charged with 4.9 grains of Hodgdon HP-38, to a over all length 1.257 to 1.260. I compared to some store bought rounds that I have and they were very close in weight and oal. My first attempt so I only loaded 25 rounds and will try these and if these work I will maybe bump up the powder to 5.1 grains. I will be looking for my most accurate, when that is established I will then load a few hundred at a time. The possible questionable primer depth variation has given me second thoughts and the overall length. Am I on the right path here or does someone see some glaring mistake, its a bit scary shooting my first reload so a few responses might help.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The only problem I see is that you are doubting your reloads . You are fine with everything else. Primers being recessed is ok. As far as being recessed .007"...I wouldn't think that would be a problem, but I could be wrong. FYI. Modern Reloading has a start load at 4.2 and max at 5.3. I would have DEFINATELY started at the starting load and worked up. But that's me...Good luck!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 8, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
joneb

In my limited experience with S&B brass is that primer seating can be difficult, if the primer is not fully seated the round may not fire on the first strike, this can be unnerving do to the possible hang-fire
I check a loaded round in the barrel to ensure the cartridge will headspace on the case mouth if not I will shorten the COL, I do this with a dummy round. I make a couple of these so I can manually cycle them in through action, I also check for bullet set back, by letting the slide fly on a dummy from the mag.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
ragwd

Thanks Coyote hunter, I will shoot them one day this week. So if I never post here again.........but if I do I will tell ya what happened.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
ragwd

Jib, I did have some trouble with one S&B shell, it tore a primer three tries, I finally just tossed it. I did measure the width of the federal primers and some pocket depth of the S&B's and the differences was in the .003 to .007 range, so i felt as I was getting them seated. My first attempt so I am second guessing myself, a friend that has alot of reloading experience was supposed to come over but didn't make it, we talked on the phone but thats not like actually having someone with experience there.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

yeah...and jibjab had a great point I forgot to mention about checking headspace by removing your barrel. If it doesn't seat flush, then there is a problem. If it is sticking out too far, either your brass is too long (rare) or your bullet is not seated deep enough and is resting on the rifling. This is also a great way to check you taper crimp. If it slides in AND out easily, you are good to go. Let us know how they shoot!!! Don't forget the safety glasses!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 9, 2009, 10:16 AM   #7
ragwd

Coyoye and Jib,
I tried the reloads in my Kimber barrel, and they sit just as the factory loads do.
The first one is a factory load

Second is my reload

I am hoping that the pictures show they sit exactly to the same depth in the barrel because in real life they do. Is this you were suggesting ? Again I do appreciate the feed back. They also slide in and out easy like the factory loads.

Last edited by ragwd; February 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added comment
Old February 9, 2009, 12:37 PM   #8
joneb

ragwd, that looks good.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...3&d=1232308690
The far left image shows a case that is to short, most of my brass is around .889-.893"

Last edited by joneb; February 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old February 10, 2009, 02:41 AM   #9
ragwd

Thanks JibJab, nice graphic. I feel good about the OAL and the way they chamber, but now I am thinking maybe I should reload another 25 at a lower charge as Coyotehunter suggested. I know that the Hodgdon web page said between 4.2 and 5.2 but on the bottle of powder it suggested 5.6 and I was thinking to start out 10% less than the 5.6. Thats why I started at 4.9. Guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to reload some at 4.5 and try those first. Again thanks for the help CoyoteHunter an JibJab.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:12 PM   #10
ragwd

I am reopening this old thread to update. I took IllinoisCoyoteHunter advice and before I tried my 4.9 grain, I went back to the reload table and loaded 25 of 4.2 grains and 25 of 4.5 grains. So this was in once fired S and B 45acp cartridges using Federal primers and fmj rn 230 and Hodgdon HP-38 and shot through a Glock 21sf. Now this was my frst time shooting my own reloads so I was pretty nervous to say the least and starting with the 4.2 grains made feel a bit better. Well the 4.2 felt like a 38 special and wasn't strong enough to fully rack and left a stove pipe with every shot. Was surprisingly accurate problably the best of the three for accuracy. The 4.5 felt a bit snappier but not what I was use to with factory ammo. I shot bowling pins and 25 yds target and was accurate or at least what I call accurate. The 4.9 felt almost as snappy as factory but not quite and accuracy was acceptable. So I want to thank everyone who has put up with my newbie question, I am officially started reloading. I will try different powders and primers and bullets to work up a load for the different pistols and then branch off to 9mm and 380 before going on to rifles. So I am sure that I will have more questions.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Flipper 56

I'm new to the reloading game myself. I have been using 5.5 gr Universal, a Hornady 230 FMJ and OAL of 1.254. I inadvertently put quite a bit of a crimp on the one batch of 50 cartridges and they certainly make a heck of a crack on the way out of my Colt 1911 series 80. A more experienced friend of mine gave the go - ahead. It is both an instantaneously gratifying and an exhilarating experience making your own. Good Luck