The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
kv501

Need help w/9mm on a 550B

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help--

Here is my question...I am going to be getting into reloading 9mm, and I would like to possibly use the Lee 3 die carbide set. I have heard good things about it and the price is right. Previously I have always used Dillon dies because I have been too chicken to try another brand--I'm over it.

At the moment I load .357, .44 and 45ACP, all with Dillon dies. The 9MM will be for my brother who is on a tight budget, so there are a couple of things I am wondering about before I buy them:

1. I am not interested in the FCD, so the three die carbide set would be fine because (I think) the 9MM Dillon conversion kit will have my expander plug and I will still be able to use my current powder die. Am I correct?

2. How bad will I fight case alignment? Dillon dies are radiused for this purpose, are the other companies as well? If not, how much of a pain will it be?

I know that some people will post responses telling me to buy the Dillons, but I guess I'd rather hear answers to my questions from people who've used other dies besides Dillon's in a 550. Any other help is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

NEH
Old February 28, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Sam06

I would get the Dillon dies for it. They are made for the press and the progressive operation of the 550B. Thats just my .02 but I am sure there are some guys that will tell you different. I used Lee Carbide dies in my 550B for 41Mag and it was a PITB to make them work. Even when I did get them working good it was still not as smooth as with the Dillon dies.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
jtravisbayne

Go With Lee

I load 9mm on a 550B and I tossed the Dillon dies in favor of Lee because Dillon's sizing die was giving me a "Coke Bottle" affect on my finished rounds. I have had zero issues with case alignment when using the Lee dies. I would suggest going with the 4 die set. The factory crimp die is worth the extra $7 (MidwayUSA price). I do not use the powder/flair die from the Lee set, but rather, stick with Dillon's setup.

Also, your press is set up for a 4 die set. The Lee 3 die set seats and crimps in the same die. The Lee 4 die set has separate seating and crimp dies just like the Dillon set. Both the Lee 3 and 4 die sets have the powder through / expander die, which as I mentioned, I do not use in favor of the Dillon setup.

Travis

Last edited by jtravisbayne; February 28, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added 2nd Paragraph
Old February 28, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
armedandsafe

I use the 500 and the Lee dies work just fine. I buy mine from LeePrecision, as it gives me a chance to browse through their site and drool on my keyboard.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."