The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
oryx

38 velocities from snub nose 357

I just worked up two different .38 loads for my 340PD to find something a little more "pleasurable" to practice with than .357 loads.

The load data for a speer 125GD over 6.1 grains of power pistol should produce approximately 986 fps from a 6" barrel (according to Speer #13). My snub nose is 1 7/8". my velocities averaged 728 fps. Does 250 fps loss seem appropriate or excessive? I know the barrel is very short -just not sure what to expect.

The other load chronographed was a 158gr Hornady XTP over 4.6 grains of power pistol - these averaged 599 fps and according to the Hornady manual should have produced approximately 625 fps out of a 4" test barrel. These velocities were only 25 fps slower than expected.

What gives? Why such varying results?
Old February 24, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2
warnerwh

oops!

Last edited by warnerwh; February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
warnerwh

Your velocity looks normal. In general you lose about 50fps for every inch less. In your case it's closer to 60fps but there's many factors to consider. You have nothing to be concerned about on this first load.

Did you get the load for the Hornady bullet in the second load from the Speer manual? Did it specifically state that XTP bullet? One 158gr bullet may not act like another bullet the same weight . Other things that can affect the variation such as the powder burning rate, barrel/cylinder gap, primer or a combination. What you're seeing I think is normal.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
TEDDY

loads

I am asking a question as it puzzels me.why XTP bullets??your running in lead bullet ranges and driving a jaguar.in other words why use an expensive bullet that may not expand at that velocity.
Try 2.8 of bullseye with 148 gr wc or swc.its very accurate and mild.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:49 PM   #5
kraigwy

Here is an ideal (sorry for the poopie pictures)

Both rounds were fired out of my 642 into a phone book. The jacketed round on the left is a BlackHills 125 Grn HP 38 +P. The round of the right is my cast 150 grn SWC (Lyman 358477) pushed by 4.5 grns of 231. The bullet was cast with range lead.

As you can see the HP Black Hills didnt open up. The 150 gn SWC mushroomed pretty good.

Nope its not a scientific test but makes me think I'll stick to my SWC bullets. If they dont open they still work.

JMHO not a recommendation to anyone.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
oryx

Thanks for the responses.

Wanerwh - The load information for the speer bullet is from the speer manual. The load info for the Hornady load is from the Hornady Manual. I guess I really never considered the velocity loss until it was chronographed. At that point I certainly understood that there was going to be some vlocity lost, but one load lost 250 ft on average and the other lost only 25 fps on average when compared against the test data. There are tons of factors to consider like you mentioned though.

TEDDY - I guess I really always used jacketed bullets except for my 45 colt. Not sure why, but that's what I chose for a self defense bullet when carrying a different .45ACP. I just got the 340 PD and these are the first loads that I have tried. I wan't going for 625 fps for for expansion - because all I am looking for is a mild load to practice with. Your point of an expensive bullet is completely valid though - especially for practice. When I carry the gun It is loaded with full house 357. I think I will try some lead loads for practice.

Kraigwy - thanks for the pictures. It does give me the idea to do a test of the 357 loads into a couple of different mediums. .357 is what I will be carrying for defense and is the load that expansion is important on. The rest of the loads I am working on are prety much all practice loads to get used to shooting a snub nose. This Air-light .357 with full power loads feels like a an M-80 going off in your hand - but the light weight compact nature of the gun is a dream to carry. I figure that if the time ever comes to using it self defense, the last thing I will worry about is a stinging hand.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old February 28, 2009, 03:09 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

help is as far away as your Speer manual

Read pages 443/444......