The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2005, 07:15 PM   #1
Boomerdog

What Is Best Buy For Me

Went 44 mag. revolver.

Want to reload now. Basically exactly what do I need to buy
To do this.
I did reloads at a friends house years ago and I need a refresher course. What would be the best way to go / to buy/ what kind ect. . Best costs ect. Can you buy the reloader complete? ect.
Old March 18, 2005, 07:38 PM   #2
smokin54

First thing to buy is 2 manuals and read them front to back , A rockchucker Kit I hear is pretty complete and I know the press is good .
Old March 18, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
cheygriz

Good advice!

Get the Lyman reloading manual first. IMHO, it's the best for beginners.

Redding, Lyman, RCBS and several others make kits that contain everything you need to start. The manuals also give you a good check list of items that you will need.

One of the MOST IMPORTANT items that you need however, isn't in most kits.

That item is a set of scale sheck weights! Whatever, you buy, make sure that you have check weights to check the accuracy of your scale.
Old March 20, 2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Throckmorton

I also HIGHLY reccomend the Lyman book.
You'll need at a minimum:
press,like the Lee challenger or their newer cast iron one.
dies,carbide..and I like to crimp in a seperate operation,so the Lee FCD die is a good idea.(factory crimp die)
tumbler and media for cleaning your brass,and Fltiz addative.
a good scale,not Lee,imho.
check weights.. especially for top-end loads.
loading blocks to hold the brass as you process it.
Most folks prefer a hand priming tool over the press's unit,ymmv
a powder measure.not Lee,imho.
the self-discipline to TRIPLE check your powder throws and NOT push the envelope on powder charges.
safety glasses!
Old March 20, 2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Kayser

I just got into the reloading game, and here's what I recommend (I'm doing 45 ACP at the moment)

- Lee Challenger press. Cheap, and perfectly good for a beginner
- RCBS 502 scale
- Lee auto-prime (the hand-held job)
- Starrett caliper set (Do -not- skimp on this piece of equipment. Get a good one right up front)
- Redding powder trickler
- Kinetic bullet puller (one of the sturdy plastic ones where you can see inside)
- A cheapo powder funnel
- Any one of the "case care" kits which come with the primer pocket tool, chamfer tool, and sizing lube/pad.
- Frankford Arsenal case tumbler (optional, but recommended)
- 10# bag of treated corn cob tumbler media
- A couple of those colored plastic round holders.
- The 2 volume Hornady reloading manuals.
- Any of the "get into reloading" beginner books.

Stuff that I bought, but I wish I hadn't (no real need for them at first)

- Forster case trimmer. A very nice tool, but as a beginning reloader (especially pistol) it's simpler to just toss oversized brass than add another step to the process for a beginner.

- Redding powder measure. Another nice tool, but as a beginner you'll be -far- more comfortable measuring each charge individually.

Throw in a jug of powder and some bullets for whatever you're loading, and you could probably set this up for around $500. I highly recommend www.midwayusa.com
Old March 20, 2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Kayser

Oh right - don't forget your reloading dies. I went with the snazzy 4 die Lee set for 45 ACP.
Old March 20, 2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

My two go-to manuals are the Lyman and the Hornady.

The rest I pull out as counterchecks or for powders not covered in Lyman/Hornady.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Kayser is extravagant.

I loaded a lot of revolver ammo without a caliper. Still do. Proper revolver bullets have crimp grooves or cannelures, if you don't get stuck with plated junk. Crimp there and OAL is automatic. I use an old plastic Sears vernier caliper for OAL of autopistol calibers. One of the Communist Chinese dial jobs will be more convenient and accurate enough for 1/4 the money. On the other hand I have a real Starrett micrometer for important measurements.

You don't need case lube capability for a straight pistol round loaded in carbide dies.

The volume of pistol ammo most of us go through, weighing all powder charges is a real drag. Apply the cost of the trickler to a measure. Get a cartridge block so you can row up 50 charged cases and shine a light in each one to see that it has one and only one powder charge before seating bullets.