The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Need new 70 gr varmit bullet........

Since Hornady decided to stop making the 70 gr SXSP and my supply is about exhausted, I need to work on finding a new bullet for my load.

I was loading the 70 gr SXSP into Winchester cases over a Winchester primer and 43 grs of IMR 4350. This is/was a very accurate load for my Remington 700BDL in .243 Winchester. From the bench it would group 5 shots all nearly in the same hole 1 inch high at 100 yrds and dead on at 200.

I'm looking at the 65gr Hornady V-Max, the 70gr Sierra Blitzking and the Nosler 70gr spitzer.
Has anyone got a comment on any of the three? I need one of these to perform the same as the SXSP did in the "absolutly no ricochet" department,
and as good or better on the accuracy part.
Thanks
Old April 9, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
mrawesome22

My .243Win loves the 75gr VMAX and a healthy does of IMR4064.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:47 PM   #3
rwilson452

I think highly of the Sierra BlitzKing. Sadly I can't comment on the "absolutely no ricochet" component as it has never been a issue. The bullet is rather thin skinned and blows up in a woodchuck. The woodchuck blows up too but that is another story. I have only shot one song dog with it and it was, well, messy. I have no idea of what became of the bullet. The back stop for that shot was hardwood woods with heavy undergrowth, no sense even looking for it.

Quote:
Since Hornady decided to stop making the 70 gr SXSP and my supply is about exhausted, I need to work on finding a new bullet for my load.

I was loading the 70 gr SXSP into Winchester cases over a Winchester primer and 43 grs of IMR 4350. This is/was a very accurate load for my Remington 700BDL in .243 Winchester. From the bench it would group 5 shots all nearly in the same hole 1 inch high at 100 yrds and dead on at 200.

I'm looking at the 65gr Hornady V-Max, the 70gr Sierra Blitzking and the Nosler 70gr spitzer.
Has anyone got a comment on any of the three? I need one of these to perform the same as the SXSP did in the "absolutly no ricochet" department,
and as good or better on the accuracy part.
Thanks
Old April 10, 2008, 09:46 AM   #4
E.J.W.

Thanks for the input.

rwilson,
My reason for mentioning "no ricochet" is that the farms here in Western New York are on the small side and I hunt on a lot of farmers land (with full permission of course) I sometimes have to move my self so the line of fire beyond the target (woodchuck) is clear of farm equipment left in the field, the farmer working another field in the distance and or farmers livestock.

mrawesome,
Do you know how high your 75gr hits at 100 to be dead on at 200?

Thanks again for the replies and good shootin'
E.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
rwilson452

I usually sight in for max PBR but assuming a velocity of 3475 FPS you would be 1.6 high at 100 to be on at 200.

My loads and your loads might have a different muzzle velocity but that should be a good ball park number.

Last edited by rwilson452; April 10, 2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add info
Old April 10, 2008, 08:14 PM   #6
mrawesome22

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics/ba...calculator.php This is a good tool for calculating trajectory.

I use a 300yd zero, but a 200 yard zero with my load would hit almost exactly 1" high at 100yd.