The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2013, 01:16 PM   #26
jonnyc

"My conclusion for myself and advise to others would still be, as a general rule, not to run anybodys FMJ in your fine bolt action hunting rifle. Stick to premium hunting ammo."

Your choice, but no need to at all.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:20 AM   #27
Bart B.

Someone needs to send Lapua a letter telling them their fine FMJ match bullets will ruin fine match grade barrels. Mayby they'll stop selling them.

Most bullet making companies use the same jacket material for both FMJ sporting bullets and precision hollow point match bullets. How in the dickens will one effect any barrel differently than the other?

What about all those FMJ match grade pistol bullets shot winning matches and setting records? Who's gonna tell those folks the bullets they use are bad for their match grade barrels?

If anyone feels FMJ's are bad for any barrel, that's fine, you can't go to jail for what you're thinking. But such belief's fly in the face of reality. This is one of many myths in the shooting sports. But some folks cannot reason away from it; too bad for them, but such is life.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 15, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:23 PM   #28
MJN77

Can you safely use .308 hunting ammo in a M1A rifle? I have heard yes and no.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:37 PM   #29
oryx

Jehu,
Some of the finest bullets that are made have a full metal jacket (FMJ - which is actually a copper jacket, maybe you equate "metal with steel?). The fact that copper covers the tip of the bullet has absolutely zero effect on the rifling that it never touches. Thus it will not harm even the finest hunting rifle. As a matter of
fact, some of the finest hunting rifles fire a completely solid copper projectile.
The difference in FMJ bullet construction will have an impact on terminal ballistics compared to a PMJ (softpoint, ballistic tip, HP, etc.) - meaning it will most likely not expand as quickly or as much and probably have more penetration in game.
Differences in jacket thickness do vary but that cannot be determined by the designation of FMJ alone. Even the thickest or hardest will not substantially wear your bore more than one just a bit softer as Bart has tried to explain. I don't personally know Bart, but I have read a lot of what he writes .... He knows what he speaks of. Also, the construction of the bullet will make no difference to a fine rifle regardless of the action; whether bolt action, semi-auto, pump, break open or other.

There is already a lot of mis information here in this post, but we don't need to recommend the idea that a FMJ bullet is not suitable for for fine fire arms based off of what seems to be a poor interpretation of information.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:39 AM   #30
jonnyc

MJN77, your question is patly related to this discussion. Springfield recommends using only milsurp 7.62x51, but that is only due to the design of the rifle and the usual components of military ammo. The M1A has an inertial firing-pin and the manufacturer doesn't want to get sued if the softer, more sensitive primer of a commercial round goes off when the round is chambered. Military ammo can have thicker primer cups to better withstand MG use. You find the same firing-pin design in AKs, ARs, SKSs, but only the SKS seems to share the same concern.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:59 AM   #31
jehu

Oryx, I did not give any misinformation on this thread, in fact I have learned a thing or two about FMJ variations. As Rainbowdeamond pointed out older FMJ and some from other countries have coatings and additives that could be damaging to a firearm so for me I don't want to take the risk. You and Bart evidently know which FMJ is clean and what is not ,so shoot it in what ever firearm you want. I still see no need to shoot FMJ in my fine bolt action HUNTING rifle.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #32
oryx

I didn't mean to imply that you were responsible for the misinformation, but rather speaking in general about that.

I have been reloading for almost 20 years and still learn every day
Old March 17, 2013, 02:22 PM   #33
FALPhil

I have been out of the country for the last 2 weeks, or I would have jumped all over this thread.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:32 PM   #34
oryx

This thread or one like it will be back in another week or two ......stay tuned!:
Old March 17, 2013, 07:52 PM   #35
jonnyc

Anyone have a good "Dead Horse" pic?
Those usually appear by now.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Ludwig Von Mises

Only if you reload does it matter, military loadings -mm, sry dont have number keys right now- are in thicker cases therefore require less powder for optimal operating pressure. as for production ammo, between me and my roommate, we've put a few thousand of both CBC brazilian milsurp ammo as well as regular hornady and american eagle hunting ammo and it really doesn't make a difference except the occasional hot one you get in a brick of milsurp. fyi, i have a vepr, he has an older surp built m1a