The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
cavemapper

making my own choke

i have been trying to make a choke that will shoot the Remington skeet 9's. i have tried many of times but nothing has worked. if someone knows what kind of constriction and/or how much taper i should be using any help would be very much appreciated.

sorry but I'm not using this choke for hunting, its for a shooting match. they shoot at 4x4 cards at 25 yards. i know i can buy a choke but i dont want to spend $50 or so for something thats not guaranteed, and shooting matches is the only time this choke is going to be used. ive made my own chokes before so i know whats involved in making a choke.

Last edited by cavemapper; March 18, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:57 PM   #2
mikenbarb

I think it would be a better choice to invest in a good Briley skeet choked tube. They pattern excellant and dont break the bank.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Ruger4570

My lifelong fried and hunting partner used to own a shop that made choke tubes for one of the major suppliers. Trust me, it will be far easier to simply buy one than try to make one of your own. There were many stages of machining and so forth and in substancial quantities he mad a few buck at it. He finally got out of doing it as he could make a lot more money making other things.