The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2005, 08:17 PM   #1
jim276

shake rattle and roll

I recently bought a used Astra a-75 .45 from a friend. I like the gun and for the money think it is a good gun. The question I have is that the slide to frame fit is loose and the gun rattles a bit. The gun shoots well but the rattling annoys me.I dont have a lot of money to spend, the reason I got the Astra in the first place, is there any way to fix this without any major investment. Also anyboody have any tips for tuning the gun for better performance that I might be able to do on my own. shaky Astra A-75
Old February 10, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

re-ASTRA

Sir:
If that Astra shoots well I'd leave it alone; use some GOOD lube on rails and I'd forget a "slide to frame job.
Old February 10, 2005, 01:20 PM   #3
hawken50

jim
i have an a75 in 40s&w. awsome gun for the money. mine rattles slightly untill i put a loaded mag in it. maybe yours is the same? also may i recommend some skateboard grip tape for those hard plastic grips. the gun will feel like it's glued to your hand.

Last edited by hawken50; February 10, 2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old February 10, 2005, 03:57 PM   #4
yorec

Rattles, eh? Aluminum or steel frame? My steel frame A75 is tight - no rattle at all. Shoots great, reliable, accurate. If yours does too - no worry. If not I'd have it checked by a gunsmith - might do so anyway just to be sure...
Old February 11, 2005, 08:20 AM   #5
jim276

thanks for the replies

Thank you for responding; Hawken my Astra is the same way, it rattles more empty, when I put in a full mag it does decrease significantly. The grips are a little ruff, I saw some nice hogue rubber grips with finger grooves for Sig 220/225, anybody know if they will fit the Astra A75?

Yorec, mine is also steel, and it does shoot very well. Except for the fact that it is a little heavy it is an excellent ccw. I'm glad to hear that almost every post that I have read where people either ,currently owned an Astra or owned one in the past, seemed to love them. I was a little concerned after I bought it because I didn't know much about the gun or company.

thanks again-jim

Last edited by jim276; February 11, 2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old February 12, 2005, 02:07 AM   #6
yorec

Steel, huh? I doubt then that the frame is worn enough to cause the rattle. Probably not a worry - expecially if it shoots great and is reliable! - if not a gunsmith check would be in order.

Astra is a good company with some real history behind 'em - wish they'd come up with more stuff and become a mainstay like Taurus has.