The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 06:42 AM   #1
kozzmo1

New gun buyer need help! Glock 19 Vs Sig p226!

Need help! Sig p226 or Glock 17 both 9mm
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this! I am a first time buyer, i just turned 21 and i want a handgun. My dad owns plenty of guns and i have shot before, but im in college and want something cheap to shoot that is reliable and very accurate. I am a target shooter and would eventually like to be able to point and shoot, which i heard is what the glocks are good at doing but im sure can be done with any gun with practice. So here are my questions..p.s. im leaning more towards the Sig p226 at the moment. This is not for carry or defence, simply target and range/look pretty.
1)Glock or Sig?
2)New or Used?
3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen?
4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless)
5)Which is more accurate?
6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons?
Old April 5, 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
chadio

1)Glock or Sig? For me, SIG Sauer
2)New or Used? You will likely save money on a used P226 but not much on a used G19
3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen? Because of my background, I shoot much better groups with the P226
4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless) Older W. German one, paid $465 for it
5)Which is more accurate? In my hands, the P226, but there are Glock shooters that group well with the G19
6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons? Can't answer that

Remember, you are comparing apples and squirrels here - a polymer framed striker fired compact vs. an all metal hammer fired full size combat pistol.

When I fired a G19, my groups weren't as good, I'd have to get used to the trigger, the sights, the grip angle etc. The P226 just works better for me personally.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
kozzmo1

I've heard that the older w Germany ones work much better. But I'm more of a new gun kinda person. I wanna know what the guns been through and take good care of it and keep it in very good condition I don't wanna have to look at gun that has been treated poorly. Are the newer sigs being made of lesser quality? I've read on another post that they've been cutting things at the sig factory here in America in order to make more profit and the quality of their guns have gone down. True or false though? I heard it on the Internet and no one has verified it and I haven't looked anything up about that yet either
Old April 5, 2013, 07:34 AM   #4
cbennettx

Both are great weapons, but honestly, they are totally different. From frame material, trigger, one is striker fired, one has de-cocker, etc. You really need to shoot them to see which fits you better. The grip will feel different, so try them out. Also decide if you want a SA/DA or SA.

I've owned and shot almost everything under the sun. In the end, all of my primary pistols are Sigs; 220, 226, and 228. Personally, I like the older Sigs better. I'm not saying they are better, but they are more desirable; for most people. The German/West German Sigs are second to none in almost every aspect. I like the way they are built, proof marks, etc. Plus, I've never had one malfunction of any kind with mine. The 'newest' Sig I have is '05; everything else is 1990 or older.

My EDC is one of my 228's. With the Sig and the Glock, both will provide solid reliability, toughness, and battle tested performance. You can find a used German 226 around $500-$650; depending on condition. You get an excellent pistol for that price point. Good luck with your choice. Here are my favorites.

Last edited by cbennettx; April 5, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5
TailGator

I think you would be best served by considering what features you want, and let those answers decide for you which pistol to choose. A big difference is the safety. Thumb safeties have pros (an extra step in firing makes some people feel safer) and cons (if you need it in a hurry for defense and you don't remember the safety, how safe does the safety make you?) so it is up for you to decide. Weight has pros and cons, too - more weight is bad when you are lugging it around on your hip and good when it is absorbing recoil.

Since you say that you are only interested in range and target use, and have no defensive purposes in mind, it seems to me that the Sig is the better choice. The polymer frame, lack of thumb safety, and trigger action of the Glock are designed for defensive use and carry.

As for new vs used, a used Sig was suggested earlier as a potential savings on a pistol that holds up very well and can be purchased used in good condition. Your reply seemed to indicate that you don't want to buy used, so if your decision is made on that front I won't belabor it, but when I was in college my budget was tight and a good used pistol would have been a welcome savings. Of course, back then people wound their watches, food was cooked with direct heat instead of microwaves, and computers were big machines that had a room and cooling system of their own.

Sigs are fine pistols. I think there are some other brands that you haven't brought up that are similarly well made but lower in price (Beretta comes to mind in that regard, for example) but with the exception of the Mosquito, you seldom hear any serious complaints about design, materials, or workmanship with Sigs. But although the design and purpose are rather different, and they had some introduction problems with Generation 4 pistols, Glocks are really pretty well made and reliable, too.

I have one of each and have no complaints, although in the interest of full disclosure I will add that my Glock was purchased before the Gen 4 problems.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
BillyJack3

For your purpose, if it were me, I'd choose Sig. Also, I don't have any problems going with a certified pre-owned Sig. They are top notch. This is a 1997 Sig 226 that I picked up about 10 years ago. It's been perfectly reliable with any ammo that I shoved down the pipe. After about 9 years, it was shooting slightly low and to the left. Beautiful thing with Sig is the Sig Service Plan. For $150, I sent it to Sig, they did a detailed cleaning, look over, replaced the springs and also upgraded it to night sights. It came back punching ragged holes in the dead center of the target. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Old April 5, 2013, 10:37 AM   #7
mayosligo

Both are good but I like the feel of the Sig.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, kozzmo1!

If possiblre, get to a range that rents both, and shoot both. We here at TFL can offer opinions until the cows come home, & some of us, like me, like to do just that. What none of us can tell you, though, is how either of those pistols feel to you. Does it feel good in your hand? Do you like the way it points? Do you like the trigger? Only you can answer those.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:56 AM   #9
RC20

If you want cheap and accurate you are in for pure disappointment, doesn't exit.

Probably the least expensive would be the Sig SP2022. Its not truly a target pistol, but then nothing short of a 1911 or a DA revolver fills that requirement. It is relatively low cost to most semi autos (some exceptions have started to get a bit less expensive). 4 inch barrel so not true target but what I would call a mid frame that with some effort carry concealed, makes a fine home defense gun and I enjoy target shooting with it as its accurate (by semi auto standards, I saw Sweeney test 1911s and thought they were great with 3.5 inch hand rested groups, my 41 magnum will shoot 1 1/4 sand bag rested groups so accurate is relative.

Of your choices as contradictory as they are the 226 would be it.

You do not state what guns your dad has, which you have shot and which ones seem to suit you.

Personally I have no use for the glocks and the like with the strikers and not safety (S&W MP with safety yes).

The Sig safety is like a double action revolver in the heavy pull in double action mode (which it should be in unless you are on the firing line at a range or something has gone bump in the night and you think its serious you can cock the Sig and be in Single action mode like a revolver would be)

Essentially the strikers have no true safety (interlocks in various places) but their take is 1. don't; touch the trigger (hard to not do if you need to shoot) 2. carry in a specific holster as its the best insurance that something doesn't do item 1 and 3. PR calling git the glock safe trigger. It has a slightly higher trigger pull than single action in a DA semi auto. It had a lot of "glock leg" and glock butt incidents (and continue ) due to the light trigger and someone having their finger on it or getting caught on something. Certainly not a good thing.

Someone has stated that glock are a proven battle gun. To the best of my knowledge they are not as the Austrians don't fight anyone (I could be wrong). If any action its extremely limited and only the US, Australia, GB, France and Canada have had really heavy combat experience in resent years.

Last edited by RC20; April 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
It had a lot of "glock leg" and glock butt incidents (and continue ) due to the light trigger and someone having their finger on it or getting caught on something. Certainly not a good thing.
No one can prove that those accidents wouldn't have happened with any other type of pistol, even DA/SA, as we don't know the full details.

If you don't like Glocks fair enough. But to keep labeling them as unsafe seems a tad silly.

Quote:
Someone has stated that glock are a proven battle gun. To the best of my knowledge they are not as the Austrians don't fight anyone (I could be wrong). If any action its extremely limited and only the US, Australia, GB, France and Canada have had really heavy combat experience in resent years.
Luckily Austria is far from the only country that uses Glock.

Both are fine options. Get to a range, they're both pretty common, and see what is best for you.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 5, 2013, 02:14 PM   #11
+1k ammo

If you are not too concerned with the cost, I would go 226.

However, this is just my opinion because I do not have a Sig yet.

But I do have a g17 gen 4 brand new and I really like it. Shoots great and well is a glock. The think I don't like about it is the trigger. It's ok, but not great. I think it will get a little better the more I shoot as it only has 100 rounds.

So the reason I would suggest the MK25 is that is on my list also. Something about an all steel hammer fired gun that is used in certain military circles is something that goes toward it. I have looked at at the LGS but have not bought yet.

Good luck and go with the one your gut tells you first, because you will be getting the other one soon enough!
Old April 5, 2013, 02:42 PM   #12
odugrad

As someone else has mentioned, very different handguns.

But if I'm choosing, I'm going with the Sig 226. I have a 226 with night sights and my wife and I both have the MK 25. They've been great and very accurate. I would trust my life to them.

I would also check out the XDm if you're looking at Glock. The XDm is an outstanding gun.

Last edited by odugrad; April 5, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:46 PM   #13
loose_holster_dan

1)Glock or Sig? Sig
2)New or Used? Either
3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen? too many reasons to list
4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless) doesn't matter. all are great. i personally like the models with the short reset trigger
5)Which is more accurate? by design - toss up. in practice - sig
6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons? too many to list
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 5, 2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

1)Glock or Sig? Either..Personal preference.

2)New or Used? Either.

3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen? I have both but carry the G19

4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless) It's the e2 which is now "standard". I have night sights and changed the e2 grips to normal ones.

5)Which is more accurate? They're both very accurate. Depends on you.

6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons? Self defense in me says no, because it seriously isn't. The gun enthusiast in me says, sure.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:06 PM   #15
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
I would also check out the XDm if you're looking at Glock. The XDm is an outstanding gun.
+1 on this. i think the xdm is superior to the glock.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 5, 2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
+1 on this. i think the xdm is superior to the glock.

No Dan! It isn't, lol. Maybe in the short run. But finding parts for it aren't as easy as the M&P and Glock.

I've seen a few of them choke up with that little roll pin they have on top of the slide.

In TFA here in Miami. I've seen that. Once on the range. No no no...It's a pretty cool range gun.

I think for SD he should get the 19. I've carried the P226 and I love it. But I don't know..it's not as carry user friendly IWB. I carried it for a year till I woke up. o.O

EDIT: Oh and forgot to add. That grip safety...? Really XD? Really? -__- I'm not even going to start on that.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; April 5, 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grip safety
Old April 5, 2013, 03:54 PM   #17
odugrad

I don't see why anyone complains about the grip safety on the XDm. It doesn't interfere in any way with operating the gun-you don't even notice it. I would imagine anyone with a complaint about the grip safety hasn't shot the gun.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
I don't see why anyone complains about the grip safety on the XDm. It doesn't interfere in any way with operating the gun-you don't even notice it. I would imagine anyone with a complaint about the grip safety hasn't shot the gun.
That's cute lol.

I've had 2.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #19

Constantine, what's cute is that if you've owned 2 XDms and also own a 226, you never noticed that the XD/XDm definitely has a superior locking system that they actually borrowed from the SIG/Sauer P-22X series. And when you're talking about an XDm, there's also the conventionally rifled Match grade barrel. Anyone that has an issue with the grip safety is considering form over function, which is bass ackwards.

OP, definitely look at an XDm before you buy a Glock. Glock doesn't even bother with relieving their ejection ports and with late Gen 3 and Gen4 Glocks, nobody's had as many malfunction issues lately. Especially brass to the face issues where a relieved ejection port would definitely help. And the comment made about fewer accessories/parts availability for the XD/XDm is totally false. All you have to do is check XD Talk for the number of excellent vendors that advertise there, including Powder River Precision. With the edition of one of their trigger kits and since the XD/XDm is truly single action, you can tune an XD/XDm trigger to where no Glock need tread. After that, if you're not getting excellent accuracy, it's you and not the pistol.

The only advantage the G19 would have over the P-226 is portability. Since you don't plan to carry, I'd definitely go with the P-226 and I own one. If you can find a CPO, certified pre-owned 226, there's a good chance you can still get a German manufactured 226. With my best handloads, the best accuracy I ever had was when shooting the P-226. Anyone that would try to convince that a Glock is capable of the same level of accuracy is pulling your leg.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:24 PM   #20
kozzmo1

Sorry guys I actually meant g17 not 19! Thank you for all your replies though! it's helping me decide a lot! What's the XD gun you guys are talking about?
Old April 5, 2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, that changes things somewhat. . .

Springfield Armory makes the XD line of pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php
Old April 5, 2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Well, that changes things somewhat. . .

Springfield Armory makes the XD line of pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php
Lol well that escalated quickly.

I got rid of my XD's. My friend still has his. He only shoots about once a year though.

It's a Croatian design that Springfield adopted and changed a little.

17 vs 226...both full size. That is a little different.

What about an M&P 9?
Old April 5, 2013, 06:27 PM   #23

kozzmo, I'm talking about the XDm 4.5 in 9mm that's nearly identical in size but a little trimmer in the slide than the G17, but if you wanted something that might be even better for target/competitive shooting, you could consider the XDm 5.25 Competition model shown at the link Spats provided.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:51 PM   #24
rickmelear

Ones a Benz and ones a Toyota, they both go bang all the time. I have several of each, if I could only have one it would be a 226 in 9mm. Just my choice.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:03 AM   #25
zaxbad

If you want cheap and accurate you are in for pure disappointment, doesn't exit.

rock island armory or s.a.m. 1911s are 400-500 and will hit a man sized target at 125 yards every time thats cheap for a 1911 and accurate for any true handgun

Tags
glock 19 , need help , new buyer , range shooting , sig sauer p226