The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 3, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
jew1028

Illinois foid card help

I have a foid card and recently moved. I switched my address for my foid card online but I haven't sent in for a new card yet. Can I still purchase a firearm even though my address on my foid card is different than my license?
Old May 3, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
skimbell

I think as long as your FOID is valid, you're alright with the change of address until your updated FOID arrives. It's supposed to be in your hands within 60 days by law but this is Illinois.
BTW, make sure you hold on to your current FOID. My state representative tells me that it doesn't look good for the GA getting a Concealed Carry Bill passed by the deadline. If that's the case, Illinois will go to a Constitutional Carry state with your FOID card being your permit to carry whatever you want, wherever you want, however you want.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Last edited by skimbell; May 3, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
output

You will be fine. People move all the time. If the gun shop you are buying from has any questions they can call and confirm with the ISP. Per my understanding, you are only required to notify the ISP of your change of residence (within 21days) not apply for a new card. See below.

Quote:
(430 ILCS 65/13.2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.2)
Sec. 13.2. The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card. It is the obligation of the holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Whenever any person moves from the residence address named on his or her card, the person shall within 21 calendar days thereafter notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of his or her old and new residence addresses and the card number held by him or her. Any person whose legal name has changed from the name on the card that he or she has been previously issued must apply for a corrected card within 30 calendar days after the change. The cost for a corrected card shall be $5 which shall be deposited into the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund.
(Source: P.A. 97-1131, eff. 1-1-13.)
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...n%2BCard%2BAct.

If you are still concerned you should call the ISP FOID Section and ask them directly. The number is 217-782-7980

Best of luck.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Garycw

Illinois foid card help

I've one question. What is a FOID card? Is this for all Illinois or just around Chicago ? I don't mean to ask a dumb question, but I live in free state that I suppose I take for granted sometimes.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Mike38

Quote:
I've one question. What is a FOID card? Is this for all Illinois or just around Chicago ? I don't mean to ask a dumb question, but I live in free state that I suppose I take for granted sometimes.
F.O.I.D. is Firearms Owner’s Identification card. Required for all residents of Illinois that own guns or want to buy ammo. Illinois is not the only state in the Union that requires a FOID.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
rlc323

The FOID program and the Illinois background check (FTIP) are administered by the Illinois State Police. The latest stats show an all time record amount of applications for January, and a February monthly record. All you need to know is here:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/
Old May 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7
godot

I had a change of address and was told that as long as I reported it, and it was in the computer, I didn't have to worry about getting a new card. I'm pretty anal about this stuff and your old card should be fine. They don't seem to have provisions to accept a new photo and do whatever Voodoo is necessary to create a new physical document.

Let me know if this proves not to be the case.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
K_Mac

I've lived in Illinois my entire adult life, and have never been asked by anyone if my address was current on my FOID card. As long as you take care of the change of address notification only an over-zealous knot-head would make any kind of issue about it. The trouble is we do have a few of those running loose...you just have to deal with them as they come.

Fill out your paper work with your current address and enjoy your purchases.