The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
peeshooter

Need suggestions for shotgun sights

I have a Mossberg 590 that I want to put sights on. My thoughts are I would like to put a post and ring sight on. I have seen kinda what I want on some gunshows but not had any luck finding what I've seen.

Please provide you opinions pros, cons and suggestions of brands, styles etc...

Thanks as always
Old March 26, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Ghost Ring® Sight Kit - Model 500®/590® Conversion Kit includes the Rear Sight and Front Sight and Base for non-ribbed barrels (gunsmithing required)., , SKU 95300

http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/comm...&category=SIGH
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 26, 2010, 03:00 PM   #3
oneounceload

What are you using the shotgun for?
Old March 26, 2010, 11:21 PM   #4
peeshooter

"What are you using your shotgun for?"...Re: To shoot stuff. Will shotguns do my taxes, that would be awsome! I hate doing my taxes. When I start doing my taxes, I want to shoot stuff! Does your shotgun do taxes? If so i will buy it! All of my guns pretty much do one thing... shoot things. I tried training it to get the paper, but no luck.

Last edited by peeshooter; March 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Oneounce is trying to help you. A shotgun is a pointing gun. Generally when shooting at targets or game one is looking over the barrel and the target. Sights are used when using slugloads for larger game or when hunting turkey as a extra full choke is used.
Usually a front bead and maybe a smaller middle bead will work for most aplications. If you were to talk to trap or skeet shooters many will tell you they don't even look at the bead, just the target.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
colostomyclown

somebody school this mall ninja
Old March 27, 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
oneounceload

sorry - naivete is one thing, acting like an immature teenager gets you no where with me - try not to shoot your foot off as bad as your mouth and have some fun
Old March 27, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
colostomyclown

hahaha. /owned
Old March 27, 2010, 08:05 PM   #9
zippy13

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt — Abraham Lincoln
Old March 27, 2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Hank15

We know you are using the shotgun to shoot things, we were wondering what specific application(s) you had in mind. It's difficult to tell whether you are trying to be witty or sardonic over the internet, so try not to do that next time.

For most applications, a front bead will do.

For clay sports, you don't really need any sights because you are supposed to be looking at the target. The bead just serves as a point of reference.

For tactical applications, i.e. home defense, well....a front bead will also do.

For the price of a good ghost ring sight + installation, you might as well buy a shotgun that come with a ghost ring sight. Or buy a barrel that comes with rifle sights.

If you really want to add new sights on your shotgun, I would recommend truglo, hiviz, or XS sights. If you have the extra cash, send it to Robar, Vang Comp, or Wilson Combat.

My experience with aftermarket sights is that they serve better as training tools.

When I first bought my Wingmaster I had difficulty shooting with both eyes open and figuring out if I have shouldered the gun properly, so I bought a hiviz fiber optic front sight. After a few trips to the fields, I decided that it hindered me more than it aided me, so I took it off. It did help me though, so to me, the $18 was well spent.

If you are planning to use this gun, a pattern board and an assortment of shells will serve you better in the long run. If you just want it for mall ninja looks, ATI products will be just fine, as long as you don't use them.

Your results may vary from mine. Good luck and safe shooting.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:12 PM   #11
colostomyclown

But teh video gamezzz sez i needz a laser scopez!
Old March 27, 2010, 08:13 PM   #12
oneounceload

Hank - you have the patience of Job - bless you
Old March 27, 2010, 08:51 PM   #13
shortwave

I don`t understand what's going on with some of the people on TFL. Just came off of "semi-auto" forum and read a guy asking a question. He got a smart a%$^ response from another guy thats apparently new to TFL. The wiseguy has posted all of 4 times.
Peeshooter, you've just got smart with one of the most knowledgeable shotgunner's here on TFL. There's reason's for his question.
Its apparent you don't know that there's different sight applications thats best for what you want to do with your shotgun.
Its also apparent that you'll probably not get to many questions answered being a smart a#$# here on TFL.
Care to start over?
Old March 27, 2010, 11:23 PM   #14
peeshooter

It kills me when you ask a specific question, someone goes into a philosophical debate on what you need or don't need. I thought we were getting into one of those.

I would understand the question if i said i had a Remington LT 20 1100 upland bird gun that i wanted to put sights on. I should not assume that one would see that if i had a 590 that I wasn't hunting with it. Maybe I was quick to judge, my apologies. I thought it was a funny answer to a vague question.

Sorry about my smart ass answer. Although, again, i thought it was funny.

I want the simulate the sight consitency between the M-4 and the shotgun in transition. Also thinking about getting into matches where distant targets are present or for simply versatility. I want the option and the opportunity to try it and determine if i like it or not.

Last edited by peeshooter; March 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old March 28, 2010, 01:13 AM   #15
RGR3/75

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_traklock.asp these are what i have and they're the best i've seen. i don't mean to destroy your chi but honestly, unless you're doing a 3 gun or plan on breaking down a bank, i wouldn't worry about it. shotgun is an area weapon man. if you just so happen to find yourself in the situation where you have to transition from your main gat to a shotgun, you'll be shooting with both eyes open (closed in some cases) pointing right at their chest. if anything, i would suggest buying just a tritium front sight. even those tru glow sights will do. it'll just be easier to acquire your target than a bead.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:43 AM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
I want the simulate the sight consitency between the M-4 and the shotgun in transition. Also thinking about getting into matches where distant targets are present or for simply versatility. I want the option and the opportunity to try it and determine if i like it or not.
NOW you're being mission-specific and you should be able to get mission-specific answers
Old March 28, 2010, 10:16 AM   #17
colostomyclown

AiRSoFt MiSsIoNz FTW
Old March 28, 2010, 11:05 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
It kills me when you ask a specific question
Quote:
"What are you using your shotgun for?"...Re: To shoot stuff. All of my guns pretty much do one thing... shoot things.
Pretty much the opposite of Specific, don'tcha think?... But glad folks were able to cipher and get some specifics to what you need...

As for sights, I know when I pick up a shotgun I am holding a different weapon in my hands and all the nuances of rifle/handgun action are replaced with those of the shotgun and all the various ammo variants I will use. I prefer a brass bead but no bead is my second choice.
Brent
Old March 28, 2010, 11:34 AM   #19
noyes

Last edited by noyes; March 30, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old March 28, 2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Apparently nobody paid attention to what shotgun the sight was being requested for. I based my recommendation on that with the assumption that he didn't buy that particular model gun for duck or pheasant hunting.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
I based my recommendation on that with the assumption that he didn't buy that particular model gun for duck or pheasant hunting
...and your assumption is most likely correct...

Although my brother-n-law, which has never hunted in his life and knows nothing about firearms, showed up at my house with his brand new/never fired 590 the night before deer shotgun season and asked "what stand he was going to be placed on in the morning".. Ya just never know!

For HD, I prefer bead or nothing as the business at hand wouldn't require sights on a shotgun. Would be more `point` shooting. This question isn't about what I prefer sooo...

Old Grump is probably on track to what peeshooter's describing.
Old March 29, 2010, 02:00 AM   #22
Hank15

Thanks oneounce .

Quote:
I don't know much about your M4, but I am assuming it has ghost ring sights as well. That being said, the sights on your M4 will likely be much smaller than most ghost ring sights found on shotguns.

I would suggest you replace both sights with similarly sized ghost ring sights for the best consistency.

http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html

http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

I think the two above should make the perfect pair.

However, since you are thinking about competition in the future, I would recommend you try out other people's gear first. Some people shoot better with a red dot sight, some people shoot better with iron sights, you never know.

Good luck and safe shooting.