The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 15, 2014, 11:07 AM   #26
michaelcj

As others have stated for "practical" shooting 50 to 100 yards with open sights.

HOWEVER………

A yearly event with my best friend and his three sons for the last decade or so..

We have a cabin on 80 acres adjacent to natn'l forest land and have a "range" set up that will extend to 300yards, on the flat, and up to about 600 from the ridge.

10" X 3/4" steel gong [and empty 1lb propane cans]

300 is about the max with the various receiver/tang sights on the various .22s.

at 600 it takes A LOT of kentucky windage/hold over and spotting.

Fun but not a lot of practical application.

Funny thing is when the boy were 6 to 10 years old Mike and I always rang the gong with impunity and the boy were real excited when they got a "ding".

Now days Mike and I can't see the gong and the boys [18 to 23] grin, chuckle and ring away.

MJ
Old June 15, 2014, 11:14 AM   #27
Unlicensed Dremel

Oh yeah - it can git er dun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sykplMjpUTM (300 and 400 yards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMun6pVDBzs (600 yards - takes about 4.5 seconds before you hear the hit on steel)
Old June 15, 2014, 11:26 AM   #28
michaelcj

Fun stuff Dremel…

Our battery: Win mdl 69, Rem 518, couple of Win 52, and my 121 year old 1890 pump in .22WRF. all receiver or tang sights.
No prone as you can't see over the intervening sagebrush.

Usually off of a rest or sitting knee support.

My buddy Mike still impresses us all with fairly regular hits with his Rem 518 and receiver sight OFFHAND!

He's a better man than I Gunga Din!

MJ
Old June 16, 2014, 05:43 PM   #29
SerenityNetworks

ttarp, you didn't mention your intended application (hunting, bench, etc.), so I'm going to assume your just looking at general shooting skills.

For that, I would say 90% of my shooting is within 50 yards and more than half of that is at 25 yards. I practice towards two end goals. (1) Hunting. (2) Practice so that at some point I can shoot silhouette competition and not embarass myself.

I only returned to riflery a few years ago. I relearned the fundamentals getting my Rifleman patch. Now I'm just working at getting better. I like offhand shooting with the .22, so for small game I'm (right now) limited to about 25 or 30 yards, although I'll go to 60 or so if I can use a support.

I'm guessing about 75% of my shooting is offhand, with the other 25% being split between sitting and prone.

I find anything between 25 and 50 yards is good practice for fundamentals. After 50 yards other conditions start to become a significant influence and while (very) important, if I'm practicing fundamentals then I want to eliminate wind, etc. from the equation and focus on technique.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:32 AM   #30
jrothWA

For my 77/22 ihave both the

100yds & 50yds setting written down on scope.

I used the 50 for small game hunting and the 100 for woodchucks.

With iron sights consider a good 50yd setting.

With an old single-shot Marlin, I sighted in for 25yds, with the original Marlin scope and using CCI "Quiet Report" or SK sub-sonic ammo for squirrels.
Old July 15, 2014, 01:33 PM   #31
Erno86

About 25 to 200 yards. Besides pinecones, I like to shoot small metallic targets with a 22...preferably up near a dirt backstop --- so you can get instant sight recognition on your misses --- which is much easier to eye with a scoped rifle.

--- George Orwell