The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Stargazer

Reloading for 45 LC with a BlackHawk...?

I am fixing to dive off into reloadig for 45 LC. I prefer to use jacketed bullets to prevent leading so what sizes and weights of 45 LC jacketed bullets and loads would you recommend?

What for: loads for practice and loads for hunting.

Thanks all...!

M70 Web Page
Old July 22, 2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Ammo Junky

for pratice, I like rem 185 jhp over 8.0gr hp38, taper crimped
good luke

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 22, 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Linear Thinker

Blackhawk is much stronger than most 45 Colt revolvers, and can be loaded to nearly 44 Mag pressures. Most loading manuals have a special section for Blackhawk and Contender 45 Colt loads.

Personally, I don't, as I have both a Blackhawk and a nice old 1894 Colt SAA which I also shoot. It would turn to shrapnel if I fired it with a Blackhawk load by accident. So, I keep all my 45C loads mild.

I stopped using exposed lead bullets some years ago, after having been diagnosed with elevated lead levels. Nowadays, I use 200gr copper plated SWCs for plinking (same as in 45ACP), and 250gr plated Berry flat noses for silhouettes.

Trail Boss has been my preferred powder lately, 6gr for 200gr bullets - a mild load. For 250gr I use 9.8gr of Unique, also a relatively mild load.
LT
Old July 22, 2007, 05:06 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Look to the reloading manuals. Hornady has some pretty hot loads, Speer a little more conservative. Don't discount the hard cast lead bullets. I shoot Oregon Trail 250 gr with no leading at all in my Blackhawk, running 1260 fps over 20 gr of H110.
Old July 22, 2007, 08:44 PM   #5
stinger

Quote:
nearly 44 Mag pressures
Please don't!!!

It can reach 44mag PERFORMANCE, but not pressure.
Old July 22, 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Linear Thinker

Stinger - right you are, I take back my "nearly 44 Mag pressures" statement. I have met folks at silhouette matches who would run their 45C SBHs at 44 Mag pressures, but I can't condone it. If you must, just buy a Freedom 454. Guns are cheap, compared to digging out metal shards out of your face.
LT
Old July 22, 2007, 09:43 PM   #7
KW-Bane

I also say don't leave out the "leads".

250 gr. Oregon Trails has never given me leading probs, and 325 gr. LBT's are excellent for "hot load" hunting rnds.

Of course 250 gr. Hornady XTP's are excellent for both practice and hunting.

All these bullets work very well in my Ruger New Model Blackhawk.

For .45 colt light to medium range loads:

NOTE: Always work your way up to the max grs. load.

** These loads are in Hodgdons reloading data **

Cast 250 gr. LRNFP w/ starting load @ 6.0 grs. W231 gives approx 795 fps... max load @ 7.2 grs. gives approx 920 fps. C.O.L. 1.600"
preasures are under 14000 CUP.

XTP 250 gr. w/ starting load @ 6.5 grs. W231 gives approx 692 fps...
max load @ 7.3 gives approx 797 fps. C.O.L. 1.595"
preasures are @ 14000 CUP and under. (Jacketed bullets give more preasure due to the copper jkt make it tougher to get down the barrel)

For the hunting loads, it would be in your best intrest to do lots of research on this so you can make good decisions on whats best for your gun and what you feel is safe!

Good luck!!
Old July 22, 2007, 09:43 PM   #8
gandog56

I just load 'em up in my Taurus Raging Bull .454.
Old July 25, 2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Daniel BOON

12 gr of blu dot

over a 250gr hard cast, your shape of bullet. I load these in my smith 45 colt; a 45 colt at about 1,000fps is a slo moving fright train. works for me.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Castaway

45 Colts can be loaded to 44 Mag velocities in a Black Hawk, but keep the pressure to a max of 80% of the 44. Loading to the same pressure is foolish. The 45 has less metal in the cylinders and to approach 44 mag pressure is courting with danger.
Old July 31, 2007, 02:22 AM   #11
Paul B.

Do a google search for John Linebaugh. He has load data that has been pressure tested that will make a Ruger Blackhawk sing. I've used them in my Old Model Blackhawk and a fairly new Ruger Bisley and those loads rock.
The loads were pressure tested by the H.P. White Laboratory and pronounced safe. The OM Blackhawk is semi-retired these days and the Bisley gets to be the gun of choice when hiking in our nearby mountains which just happen to have a very healthy population of Black bears and Mountain Lions. His loads are not to be used in Smith & Wesson or Colt revolvers or any of the Colt clones. They're only for use in either the Ruber blackhawks, Redhawks and Super Redhawks if you have one of those in .45 LC.
Paul B.
Old August 7, 2007, 09:17 AM   #12
WhitSpurzon

In my 45 Colt Blackhawk I've had good luck with AA#5 & SR 4756 (fills the case better) at Max Colt loads.

I've had better luck using heavier bullets using Blackhawk & Contender data.

The only jacketed bullet I've tried is the 250 XTP. Excellent accuracy and ww296 spits it out at 1205 fps.

A vast majority of my shooting is done with lead bullets out of this gun. I probably shoot 500-1000 rounds per year with it. Very rarely do I get any leading.
Old August 7, 2007, 06:29 PM   #13
subierex

I don't have a Blackhawk [yet ], but do load 45 Colt for my EMF Hartford 1892 rifle (my favorite gun). I load it in three flavors:

Plinking: 200 gr lead RNFP (from Kempf) over 6.0-6.5gr Titegroup. Very economical and can load even lighter than this for "Cowboy" loads.

Mid range: 250gr lead RNFP (local supplier) over 8.5gr of Unique. No leading, even out of a 24" barrel and enough whump to notice a difference over the plinking load.

Hot: 250gr Hornady XTP over ****gr of H110. Punishing and will absolutely de-molecularize a milk jug full of water. Won't give the powder load other than to say that it is at or below starting loads published specifically FOR the Blackhawk. Even at that it's a shoulder killer using my 8-pound, steel-buttplate 1892 (my bruised shoulder, two weeks later, can attest). I can't imagine shooting it out of a handgun.

All disclaimers apply, do not use these loads without verifying them using quality published load books, etc, etc.

P.s. My loads are out of Lee's reloading manual, latest edition.