The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2007, 03:19 PM   #1
darko

Is Lyman compatable with RCBS?

Hey folks,
Firstly, I do not know squat about handloading as will be evident by this post. That said, I am hoping to start loading by years end (fingers crossed) and had a question about a kit I had seen at Sportsmans Warehouse earlier today. It was a Lymans- deluxe kit (sorry I don't recall the exact name) and it basically came with everything, including powder scale, case trimmer, etc. for $279. The only thing it did not have was the die's. I looked around the isle and found no Lyman dies at all, just RCBS. I asked the associate about this and it was his belief that the RCBS die's were compatable (ible/able?) with the Lymans press. Is this correct??

28:06:42:12
Old August 3, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
cdrt

Yep, in general all dies are the same thread size when you're talking about regular presses like Lyman, RCBS, etc. I think it 7/8 x 14 or something like that. Some presses use different die threads, like the Dillon Square Deal and old Star Machine Works reloaders.

I use Lyman, Redding and RCBS dies with my RCBS Junior.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old August 3, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
crowbeaner

I have dies from 4 or 5 mfgs. and they include Lyman and many RCBS. They all screw into my RCBS single stage press and work fine. Many reloaders will tout their choice of dies and some precision sets can be quite pricey; I use what I bought many years ago and no problems yet. As a fact I use Lyman dies to load all my .243 ammo, and RCBS to load 6mm Rem. Same press and shell holder, bullets and powders, just different color die boxes. Enjoy the research and buy the best deals you can find; everything is going up so don't wait too long. If you spot used dies at a gunshop you may save enough over the cost of new to get more than one set. As long as the dies aren't busted or rusted, they are serviceable. Enjoy. CB
Old August 3, 2007, 08:57 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Yes any press with 7/8 x 14 will use any brand dies. Most shell holders are also interchangeable. You will find that a lot of people use Lee pistol dies because they are great dies at a good price and they come with the shell holder. Most other brands make you buy that seperate. darko what calibers are you planning on reloading?
Rusty
Old August 3, 2007, 09:22 PM   #5
MADISON

Is Lyman compatable with RCBS?

YES!
Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and all the other reloading "equipment" makers are enterchangable with each other.
Old August 3, 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
intruder

The dies can be used in different presses just watch the shell holder different press have different shell holder design. Get the shell holder for your press