The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2010, 09:50 AM   #1
01mikep

What 870 mag extention flush with 28in barrel?

This is my first post on this forum and I would first like to start off with a question that I cannot find an answer to.

I have a 870 super mag that has sat for the last five years since I bought it new and never put a shell in the mag. I bought it as a hunting arm, but I always take a familiar 20ga 870 (shot it since I was 13 and I'm over 30 now) when I go out.

My question is, on this 870 super mag I would like to put a magazine extention that would end as close to flush as possible with the 28 inch barrel. I know this is kind of an odd size. I have measured the distance from the barrel nut face to the barrel tip and that is a hair over 16 inches.

The shotgun is the parkarized finish and would like to find a metal extention that is as close to that finish as I can.

Thank you
Old July 24, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
noyes

some info

http://www.cpwsa.com/tube_specs.htm

http://www.briley.com/remington87010...nsiontube.aspx

and the hole in the cap is for (dis )-assembly so the spring doesn't fly away or get kinked

Last edited by noyes; July 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 24, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
01mikep

This may sound ignorent, but when the advertisers description reads +4, +5, +7, etc, does this describe the total held in the tube or only the amount that the extention will provide.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

That's the problem.
Different sellers describe them differently.
Some state the total number of rounds the tube will hold, some state the number of rounds the tube ADDS to the gun, and some state it as the number of rounds in the tube and the chamber.

So, you will see sellers listing as example a tube as a +2 shot, a 6 shot, or a 6+1. All three are the same extension.

For a 28" barrel, you can also buy the excellent Choate extension.
It comes in blued or parkerized, with a new long spring, a heavy-duty magazine follower, and the barrel clamp and sling swivels.
Buy from Midway, Brownell's, or direct from Choate.

I "think" the Choate extension for a 28" barrel holds a total of 10 rounds in the tube.
NOTE: If you use 3 1/2" shells the capacity will be reduced due to the longer length.

http://www.riflestock.com/

Last edited by Dfariswheel; July 24, 2010 at 05:56 PM.