The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
elkman06

Hornaday flex tip

To any w/ experience w/ the Leverevolution loads. I see that Hornaday is offering the flex tip in a 160gr bullet, .308 cal. It appears to have a slight boattail. Since I really like Hornaday bullets this looks really interesting for a possible middle of the road 30/06 round.
Question: Does anyone have much experience w/ this bullet in terms of expansion and accuracy?
Also, could there be any issues w/ this pushing up to about 3k speed?
Thoughts?
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 3, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have not tried these myself, but you can call Hornady and ask to talk to a technician. You'll enjoy their phone system message, anyway.

Most bullets have a nominal range of velocities for expansion, and if this is intended for .30-30, it may prefer something a little slower than the .308 velocities. On the other hand, if it is also intended for the .307 Winchester, then you're in good shape to use it in the .308, which is just the same round without a rimmed case. Their technician will tell you what they had in mind, and will be able to suggest an alternative if it doesn't fit.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 6, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3
ForneyRider

The FTX are designed for lever action with tube-fed magazine. They are a compromise between safety of the flex tip and a spitzer boat tail design for accuracy.

The .308 version of the FTX will work great in .30-30 Win, .300 Savage, .307 Win, etc. I use it in a Marlin 336W in .30-30. But I wouldn't use it in a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, I'd rather use a spitzer boat tail or Hornady Spire Point.

For 30-06, I'd go with an Interbond, either in 165gr or 180gr. Are there any tube-fed 30-06? That's a pretty long cartridge for a lever gun.