The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 6, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Trigger "creep" question

Is it possible to eliminate ALL creep from a top of the line trigger in a bench rifle?
Old April 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
onlybrowning

Trigger "creep" question

It depends on the trigger and how it's designed. In most cases, cleaning up and smoothing out the surfaces will help with this. I'm assuming you are talking about a single stage trigger, not eliminating the first stage of a two stage trigger. In the case of the latter, it is sometimes possible as well, but will require mechanical adjustment.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3
dahermit

The term "Creep" seems to have changed over the years. In the sixties, most gun rags referred to creep as any movement of the trigger that feel like it was moving on its own or the pull was inconsistent (heavy-lighter-heavy). Also, the pre-travel was called just that...pre-travel, before the sear was released. Nowadays, pre-travel seems have been supplanted with "creep". So, it may benefit the poster to explain if he is referring to pre-travel, or the inconsistent pressure felt on the trigger.
To answer the question relative to the best trigger of any gun I have, albeit a mid-priced German air rifle, it seems to have no perceptible pre-travel, let alone creep.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
reynolds357

You can eliminate all creep in a Jewel trigger. Jewel is the top of the line, so the answer would be "yes."
Old April 6, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Thanks guys for the comeback. The reason I asked the question is on another site two supposedly knowledgable administrators said that it was impossible to eliminate creep (pre travel) from any trigger. One even mentioned that he could feel creep in a Jewel. I have replaced the triggers in all my CZ rimfire bench guns with Rifle Basics triggers. The sear and trigger weight is adjustable down to 10ozs. safely. There is no creep at all in any of these triggers, at least that I can detect. Your answers seem to agree with my experience.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Metal god

Some guys have the need to be ultra technical sometimes and thats cool . I would think there would have to be some creep no matter how small before the sear breaks or it would be quite unsafe . I think I get what the guys on the other forum were saying but I'm with you , If I can't feel it it ain't there .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 7, 2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Picher

I caution folks to not remove too much pre-travel on triggers, especially on new rifles. Wear it in a bit before adjusting it, or it could suddenly turn dangerous.

Triggers with rough pre-travel should be smoothed by a competent gunsmith. I personally like a bit of smooth pre-travel in rifles used for offhand shooting, since it helps to be more conscious about smooth pressure and follow-through. I'm not a trained smallbore target shooter, but can hold my own in informal competitions and am recognized as being a very good plinking and game shot.

In handgun shooting, I prefer shooting revolvers double-action, provided the pull has been smoothed and lightened.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Metal God...
Thanks...I think some of the bloggers on the other forum just like to bust chops instead of giving good advice and helping with a question. It's almost like you have to agree with everything they say and not have a different opinion or approach.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:11 AM   #9
reynolds357

I dont mind a tiny bit of ceep on my hunting rifle triggers. I tap the triggers on my bench guns, so having creep in them is not practical.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Renolds357...
I agree...all my hunting rifles have some pre travel but my bench guns have zero and I bump test them regularly to make sure they are safe.

Picher...good point on breaking in a new trigger system before getting to antsy with the adjustments.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #11
hooligan1

The triggers on my hunting rifles are Timney's and they dont creep. It takes a few rounds to get used to this, but once your know your trigger then it's all good,,, As a matter of fact I just ordered a new firingpin spring from Midway for my Savage 110, this change should help me (very minutely) when I shoot off trigger sticks and those crosshairs move across the bullseye.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Sir Loads-A-Lot

I installed chrome silicone firing pin springs in my bench guns and the lock time to ignition greatly improved for better accuracy.

Was your Timney trigger a drop in and what is the adjustment range? I have never used them in any rifle but they made me a release trigger for a trap gun years ago.

I have Rifle Basics triggers in all my target guns.

Last edited by Sir Loads-A-Lot; April 7, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Ignition Override

Does 'creep' describe the fairly smooth, but long pull in my original Norinco SKS?

I can pull part way, remove my finger to blow my nose due to the Memphis pollen, and then finish pulling the trigger.

Can't quite see paying the cost for a Timney trigger job, but with no desire to Ever sell the SKS, maybe it will soon be time.
Old April 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Sweet Shooter

I believe the smooth pull/take-up is different to creep. I actually like smooth pre-travel... the finger is moving and your sight picture reflects this when the trigger actually breaks. Triggers that break from a dead-stop are too much of a surprise for me, however predictable, and often induce a little flinch even with the best of us. I believe that's why a good clean 2-stage trigger works for a lot of us.

Creep I've always thought of as the slope/rounded feeling that a poor trigger can have as it's actually in the process of breaking, after take-up/pre-travel.

But triggers are like people... no two the same.
-SS-
Old April 8, 2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Most competitive paper punchers, rifle and pistol, actually like that "surprise" when the trigger lets off. Pre travel causes movement with your fingers, hand and arm to tighten up. That is why the extremely light trigger pulls (some are 2-4ozs.) are very important to bench shooters. All my target pistols are set at 2 1/4 lbs. with absolutey no creep.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Creep is felt movement of the sear. Yes, it can be eliminated by a competent gunsmith.