The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2009, 09:31 AM   #1
FrontSight

Food Saver Vacuum Packer - keeps meat for years!

Anyone else like this product as much as me? We're all hunters here, and I don't know how I got along with wasting so much meat before this puppy.

It has saved SO much food from being thrown out in my home...I have some meat that is 3 years old & it still tastes almost as fresh as the day I bagged it. In the past I can't tell you how much meat was shamefully lost to freezer burn & tossed out.

Now no more shed tears or wasted meat

A good trick, I've learned is to get the meat very cold or even frozen before you vacuum pack it, so that the bag can shrink down around it as much as necessary. Squishy meat does not vacuum pack as well and you'll be left with air pockets that will cause freezer burn...

It's not cheap to buy the unit nor the rolls, so a cheaper alternative is to freeze everything in ziplock bags that are filled with water first, but that's so much trouble to do and store and then defrost that I'd say Foodsaver is a much better option...
Old October 25, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Rangefinder

It's not just good for food. I also seal everything in my survival pack with mine, and all my spare clothes in my hunting pack (extra pull-over and extra changes of socks) individually sealed. Do you have any idea how much space this saves? Plus, they're waterproof. I could take a swim with my pack on and have dry socks to change into the moment I get out. Food-savers are right up there alongside TP on the must-have list for my household.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 25, 2009, 09:43 AM   #3
elkman06

Using mine this morning. I agree that it was the best food processing piece of equip I have ever bought. I have about 20lbs of steak to seal up and 75lbs of breakfast sausage I am processing this morning.
Try these bags rather than the rolls. And yes, wal mart version rolls suck.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0030017516316a

These 8x24 premade bags appear to be the best deal out there right now. 50 clams for 100bags which can be cut down to 8x8 for 1lb packages.

If you don't have a sealer yet, you should. It can be used for just about any kind of food preservation,,(that big pot of chili) or for sealing up your reloads...etc.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old October 25, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

I use mine for all sorts of things, TP squishes down flat and stays dry for use in a day pack, matches, batteries, etc. all stay nice and protected from the rain. I use to live on saltwater and sealed tools, batteries, etc., where they stayed dry and protected from rust even on my boat.

Yep, the Wal-mart bags suck. () I've wasted enough money on those to just pony up for the more expensive brands. I do watch what I'm sealing, if it's value is less than the cost of bag material, I just put it in a zip-lock.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One day I will find the extra expendable coin to buy one. I know it is worth it but just finding the money has held me up.
Brent
Old October 25, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6
DRice.72

I loved the one I had. I have done a lot of Flathead catfishing and we used those for packing up lots of things. Compressing thing to make space od very important when all you get to take with you for a week has to go on your back on in your hands.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Christchild

I have a FoodSaver Sealer that, like other posters stated, is the best thing to happen to packing/sealing since Plastic.

I use the FoodSaver Brand Bag ROLLS, and cut them to the size needed. I'd always seen the Units at various stores, Wal-Mart included, for around $100, but my younger brother told me he had seen them at either BigLots or a similar store, for $40! I went immediately, and I still have it, over 2 years later.

Working on boats in the Gulf of Mexico, I caught quite a bit of fish, and being able to Vaccuum Pack saved alot of room and weight, since they weren't packed with water. Vaccuum Packing any meats that have quite a bit of water content, I'd take a strip of PaperTowel and stretch across the opening just inside of the Final Seal.

FoodSaver's are incredible.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
reloader28

The Foodsaver is the best thing God ever invented. The only bad thing about it now is stuff lasts so long we've been canning our meat for the last 2 weeks to make room in the freezer for this years critters.The nice thing about canning is it lasts even longer on the shelf with no electricity and its already cooked.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Swampghost

Just fill a 5 gal. bucket with water and dip regular baggies into it and seal. Maybe not quite as effective as a vacuum system but pretty close on anything heavier than water.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
minniedog2

I love my food saver and put a lot more that food in the packages
Old October 26, 2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Doyle

For anyone considering buying one, please do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars on the new upright style. The vacuum slot design on the upright saves about 1" of bag per use that the old style wasted. That 1" may not seem like a lot, but it means an extra 3 or 4 bags per roll.
Old October 26, 2009, 02:06 PM   #12
vetteracer92

One of the game cutters in town use vacuum seal for their business, it's also nice to be able to see what's inside the package.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Uncle Buck

Never thought of using it for the camping gear. The thought of dry socks after a day of walking through the wet grass is nice. I usually use zip-lock style backs, but seem to always find one or two backs that have broken open and the stuff in it has spilled all over the pack.

When using the vacuum sealer bags, if I put spices on my meat, will the meat still absorb the spices?
Old October 26, 2009, 09:14 PM   #14
reloader28

We did some geese in vac bags 1 night last winter for the grill. Left them in for about 1 1/2 hours and you could definatly taste a big dif. I'm still not a big goose fan, but it was OK. We just grind our's for jerky.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:42 AM   #15
simonkenton

Does the $120 Foodsaver work well, or do you have to pay the $170 for the new upright model?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:39 AM   #16
reloader28

My folks have the new upright model and I much prefer my normal one.You have more control over it. We butchered about a 100 chickens a month ago and vac sealed most of them so we were using 2 sealers.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Doyle

Quote:
Does the $120 Foodsaver work well, or do you have to pay the $170 for the new upright model?
I've got the old style. The difference to me is that with the old style, you have to use about 1" more bag material to reach the vacuum tray. That is 1" of wasted material. The bag rolls aren't cheap (but I am). When I'm doing jerky, I only want about a 3" bag, but I have to cut them over 4" just to get them sealed. That is a 25% loss. If I were doing big pot roasts (10+") then an extra inch isn't so big.

For what its worth, Walmart and Sams both sell the upright for about $140 and the old style for less than $120.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:08 AM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
When using the vacuum sealer bags, if I put spices on my meat, will the meat still absorb the spices?
I frequently pre-spice my meat. My favorite is chicken for grilling (to put on salads). I fillet two breasts so that they are half as thick and then put the 4 breast pieces and 2 to 4 boneless thighs in each bag. I pre-season them before putting them in the bag. Move them from the freezer to the fridge in the morning and when I get home they are thawed enough to go straight to the grill. By the time the chicken is done, I've got the salad all made up.

Healthy and easy.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Wild Bill Bucks

You can seal your rifles and pistols with it after cleaning, and they will stay perfectly preserved forever.
Re-loaded ammo, can also be stored forever, with no worry about moisture. Extra powder can also be sealed this way without chance of contamination.
If you fish, you can make an extra set of cloths , and seal them down to take up very little space in your boat, just in case you happen to fall out of the boat.(I won't go into how I know that)
Also makes for a great first aid kit, as well as all those little things you would like to have for an emergency kit.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Sam06

I love mine. Its great for all kinds of uses. I even learned a few right here.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:11 PM   #21
ilbob

We like ours too. When I BBQ, I cook a lot more than we will be eating anytime real soon and there is plenty for later meals. Like 3 or 4 weeks worth of meals.

Ours came with a bunch of vacuum seal containers that are very handy for sucking the air out storing leftovers in the fridge. Stuff will last a lot longer than you can imagine that way.

Frozen in the bags, I have eaten stuff more than a year old that was fine. The bags are reusable but its kind of a pain to clean them so we don't. They work good though for reheating. Just take the food out of the freezer and put in the microwave. Does not dry out at all.

The containers are handy for marinating too. Put chicken breasts in the containers, cover with Italian dressing and suck the air out. Leave in the fridge for a few hours and then BBQ.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:21 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

I use mine a lot.

Including to vacuum pack several hundred rounds of .223 ammo on clips.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 28, 2010, 05:18 PM   #23
HotShot.444

You are REALLY gonna like this:

Google-up Senate Bill 510 (S-510) and tell us how you'd prepare for this!!!
Old November 29, 2010, 11:40 AM   #24
davlandrum

They work for "boil in bag" dinners as well. I can vacuum a couple of servings of spaghetti, freeze it, then just throw in in a pot of boiling water at camp.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 29, 2010, 01:14 PM   #25
Rangefinder

YUP--I second that one. I do the same thing with chili and beef stew. Nothing like a home-cooked MRE when in the field and it's colder than a well-digger's butt in january.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.