The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1
A Person

Stoeger Coach Gun?

Stoeger Coach Gun question?
I have wanted a Stoeger Coach gun for a long time now, to use as a short, handy, take everywhere, do everything shotgun. But is the 20 inch barrel long enough for turkey hunting? I never hunt turkeys in open fields, just at close distances in the woods. Also, is the 20 inch barrel long enough for casual, non competitive skeet/clay pigeon shooting, and maybe some rabbit and grouse and dove hunting? Nothing too long range
Old September 3, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It can work, but it's far from ideal.

I have shot well with riot barreled 870s, and better with longer pipes.

The shortest set of barrels here on a double is 28" and that thing is only about 2" longer than my HD 870 with 18" barrel.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
A Person

I have also considered the Uplander. Maybe I could get some one to saw the barrel on it off just a bit (3 or 4 inches at the most) and that would work. Does that sound like a good idea? Oh and also, I have a Charles Daly 20 gauge pump with several different chokes. I like it alot, and I mainly use it for turkey hunting, which it's very competent at. I can keep using it. Oh yeah and I also have a Ithaca 37 featherlight that I use for skeet, i'll probably keep using it. So, just as a gun for Rabbit's and Grouse and to take along with me everywhere and to have fun shooting watermelons and such with, should I go with the Coach gun or the Uplander?

Last edited by A Person; September 3, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Sarge

I've been bitten badly by the coach gun bug myself. I've always liked short doubles, though I prefer them about 23". Seriously considering the 'Supreme' version of this gun myself. I figure it'd make a passable little rig for jump shooting doves & quail.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Shotgun693

If you cut much off the barrels you'll loose the choke.
I used a Stoeger Coach Gun for SASS and for hunting for about 10 years. It worked well for everything except dove hunting. My Stevens 311 with longer barrels were best for pass shooting. I will caution that after I'd put several thousands of shells through mine the chambers separated from the barrels. It was 'fixable' but I traded it off.
Old September 4, 2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

A person:

Unless you're throwing clay targets your self you won't get much practice on a skeet or trap range. Most ranges restrict barrel length to twenty-six inches because of muzzel-blast blow back into the shooters faces.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; September 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: wording
Old September 4, 2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Jo6pak

I hunt turkey, rabbit, grouse with my 870 and a 21" bbl. Works great. My buddy has a Coach Gun that excels in thick brush

It has more to do with choke than barrel length.

As for clays, I usaully take my Ruger Red Label. but wehn using the 870, I usually stick with the 21" tube. The only thing I use my 28" bbl for is Goose and Duck
Old September 5, 2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Mobuck

It's not the length of the barrel, it's the choke in the barrel that would make or break a turkey gun. Unfortunately, most of the coach guns are open choked which is not optimum for turkeys which are usually hunted with #6 and larger shot and tight chokes. As a small game gun, the open chokes are fine but limit range to 25-35 yards.
Regarding the useability of the Stoegers, I have 3 in 410,28, and 20 and they are adequate and actually fairly nice looking. Especially the 28 which is a straight stocked 26" IMP/MOD that I use when hunting game farm pheasants(just to show off). I love bagging just as many birds as the macho guys toting their whampensucker loaded 12 gauges and getting the snot kicked out of themselves for 25 yard shots.

Tags
12 gauge , double barrel , shotgun , stoeger , zombie killer