The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 23, 2016, 10:47 PM   #1
chrisintexas

In what ammo brand/grains your semi automatics work best?

What brand ammo/grains do your semi autos like best. Thanks
Old October 23, 2016, 11:34 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Other than some cheap, unknown brand of steel cased 9MM, and a Walther P22 that is a bit picky about rimfire ammo, my guns prety much run what ever I put in them.
My personal preference for SD ammo is Speer Gold Dot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2016, 11:37 PM   #3
tahunua001

all of them. if they don't like certain types of ammo, I get rid of the gun... life's too short to maintain logs of what ammo I'm allowed to use in what guns.
Old October 24, 2016, 12:35 AM   #4
Tinbucket

In hat ammo brands/grains your semi automatics work best

Our pistols seem to like any rounds.
Except my Sister Sig Sauer .22 won't shoot anything but CCI Stingers and a few others. The gun we've been told by Gun smiths and others was chambered around that round.
The .380 barrel apparently fires everything without problems.
I don't shoot the steel cased stuff.
One of the reasons they chrome the bores as well as the barrels is the stuff is rough on the guns.
I have fired some and no problems but I don't ordinarily buy it.
I load my own usually.
Only problems in .22s in newer guns is the old wax/greased bullets some times, build up, in the chamber and chamber mouth causing malfunction.
My 9mm's like all ammo but the HiPower like NATO stuff a bit better, but not web of my hand.
I am not sure what you are looking for but mention the gun you intend to use and get a lot more pertinent answers.
Old October 24, 2016, 04:48 AM   #5
CajunBass

About all I've ever fired in mine for factory ammo was Blazer Brass. 115 Grain FMJ in 9mm, and 230 FMJ in 45.

But mostly I shoot my reloads...pretty much the same.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 24, 2016, 05:43 AM   #6
UncleEd

I think of this question pertaining more to 1911s.

I believe most out-of-the-box 1911s work with just about any factory ammo out there. I'm thinking of Colt, springfield, Ruger as examples of these guns.

But I have heard that the upper echelon of guns such as Wilson or perhaps Nighthawk can be picky with ammo because of how tight and precise they are.

Talk exists of "break in" periods and I believe a gun should be thoroughly tested but reportedly it seems the higher priced ones need that so-called break in time more.
Old October 24, 2016, 05:54 AM   #7
Sarge

Generally speaking, I have found semi-autos to function their very best with the heaviest bullet weight commonly offered in each caliber- so long as it adheres to the OAL the cartridge was designed to function with.

230 grains for 45 ACP, 180 for 40 S&W and 124 for 9mm. This comes from about 25 years of procuring practice and duty ammo for a wide range of pistols.
Old October 24, 2016, 08:57 AM   #8
pblanc

I have the same ammo preferences as Sarge: 124 grain for 9mm Para, 180 grain for .40 S&W, and 230 grain for .45 ACP.

I do have a Walther P22 that requires high velocity .22LR to cycle reliably.

I have had issues with somewhat under-powered Eastern European 9mm Para ammo failing to cycle my Berettas.
Old October 24, 2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Sarge

I have found 22 semi-auto handguns to be a law unto themselves; there's no telling what two specimen of the same brand and model might prefer. 40 grain loads over 1150 fps seem to be the safest bet.

Federal Automatch, Federal bulk 36 grain HP and CCI Mini Mags have all shown good function in my guns. Winchester Super X if the others aren't available and I leave Remington on the shelf.
Old October 24, 2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Darkstar888

My Walther P99c will eat anything I feed it. I prefer 124g HST or Gold Dot for their exceptional performance. But the 147 are great too.
Old October 24, 2016, 11:46 AM   #11
mr bolo

any ball ammo works fine in mine

all my semi autos function fine with any type of ball / fmj ammo I feed it

brass cased, steel cased, aluminum cased

Old October 24, 2016, 12:33 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...22 semi-auto handguns to be a law unto themselves..." Yep. And some are far more particular than others. Has nothing whatever to do with quality or price of the pistol or the ammo though. A Smith 41, for example, runs $1,369, MSRP. Every one of 'em will shoot and cycle the same ammo differently. Or not at all.
"...semi-autos to function their very best with the heaviest bullet..." Not applicable for all pistols. Lot of 'em will require changing the return spring for heavy for calibre bullets as well as a different spring for light bullets.
In any case, the brand, like the price, means nothing. If you're not reloading you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your firearm shoots best. In the case of a pistol, the ammo has to be accurate and cycle the action. What works in mine may or may not work in your's.
Old October 24, 2016, 01:11 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

All my Glock, HK, SIG, and Springfield Armory (TRP) pistols have performed flawlessly with everything I have run through them with an exception of some Tula and Armscor primers. They needed to be smacked a couple more times. With the HK.
Old October 24, 2016, 01:12 PM   #14
hubris

Other than my Cougar's dislike of all things Federal, 124 and 135 Gold Dot and Hornady for the 9's, 230 Golden Sabre's and Gold Dots for the 45. Also, I've bought a bit of the Sig JHP due to the price and everybody likes that, too.
Old October 24, 2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Texas45

My shield(s) 40&45 will eat anything I feed um.
No WWB its the only ammo Ive ever had malfunctions using so I wont buy it EVAH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2016, 02:13 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Pretty much anything. I've been using a lot of Blazer Brass lately due to availability and cost and it's been fine.

I do tend to avoid steel cased ammo, not because it won't work but because I find it doesn't expand as well as brass and especially in 45 ACP I get a lot of gas blowback into the pistol. When running a few hundred rounds of Tul Ammo I had issues where a lot was getting blown into the firing pin channel and actually caused issues with function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2016, 04:49 PM   #17
tallball

I am intolerant. If there is any normal off-the-shelf ammunition the gun won't function with, I get rid of the gun.

The only exception is Winchester white box 32acp. I don't think any of my half-dozen or so 32acp automatics will function reliably with that stuff. I had a few boxes and ended up shooting most of it out of my 32 magnum revolvers to get rid of it. The brass reloaded okay, IIRC. They seem to have made a very poor choice of bullet shape.
Old October 24, 2016, 05:21 PM   #18
RickB

If a gun has any sort of "plus" capacity magazine, I tend to go with lighter bullets.
Often, the spring has to be weaker in order to fit the additional round(s) into the tube, and lifting more rounds with a weaker spring isn't my idea of a good time.
Old October 24, 2016, 05:27 PM   #19
chuckscap

I/ve only shot bulk UMC 230g hardball or 230g bonded golden sabres in my 45 ACP, works fine with those ...
Old October 27, 2016, 01:36 PM   #20
scoobysnacker

Mine:

.45 acp
I only own one, a Tisas Zig1911A1, your standard USGI 1911. I've shot WWB, Freedom new manufactured (I got in on the gearhog deal!), and Blazer Brass. No problems with any, no problems with any mags (Mecgar 8 rd came with it, my brother's Chip McCormick, and a couple of Sarco "real cheap" mags). 230 gr FMJ.

9x19
I own a bunch of guns, the only issue I've come across was with WWB and UMC; were crappy, dirty, and had some failures.

There are a couple that I don't want to run hot loads through, since they are surplus and older; Blazer Brass seems to work well in these. Easy shooting load. 115 or 124 gr, FMJ
For my more modern doublestacks, everything runs, but they seem to like S&B and PPU 124 gr in particular; like they were designed with that round in mind. 115 or 124 gr FMJ for target and practice.

9x18
I have a few, these all shoot anything available with no percieved difference. Only concern I would have- the CZ 82 has polygonal rifling, I'd avoid shooting cast lead reloads (I don't have any, but would not do it). Have 94 gr from Brown Bear, Tula, Geco and Fiocchi brass. All of these guns also shot the Hornady and Silver Bear JHP without problems.

22lr
I have a High Standard Sport King, a S&W 22A, and a Ruger MkII.

I only shoot standard velocity ammo out of the High Standard.
The S&W seems to eat everything, as does the Ruger.
Occasional FTF with Remington Bucket of Bullets (the 1700 rd bucket), and same issue with Winchester value packs. ANYTHING that comes in bricks of 500, with 50 rd boxes, feeds great in all 3 (have shot Blazer, Aguila, Winchester, etc).
Old October 27, 2016, 01:45 PM   #21
scoobysnacker

Quote:
pblanc

I have had issues with somewhat under-powered Eastern European 9mm Para ammo failing to cycle my Berettas.
Which ammo is this? Been my experience that S&B (Czech) and PPU (Serbia) are on the hotter end of the spectrum.

Is it the Hungarian RWS or Geco?
Old October 27, 2016, 05:03 PM   #22
pblanc

Actually, the ammo that I recall having issues with was the Serbian-made Prvi Partizan, although I had shot quite a lot of it before buying 200 under-powered cartridges. These failed to cycle the slide of two Berettas (a 92FS and a Cougar 8000) that had been completely ammo tolerant before that experience.

I do not recall any issues with Sellier & Bellot. In fact, that seems to me to have been above average in quality in my experience.
Old October 28, 2016, 12:29 PM   #23
scoobysnacker

Quote:
pblanc Actually, the ammo that I recall having issues with was the Serbian-made Prvi Partizan, although I had shot quite a lot of it before buying 200 under-powered cartridges. These failed to cycle the slide of two Berettas (a 92FS and a Cougar 8000) that had been completely ammo tolerant before that experience.

I do not recall any issues with Sellier & Bellot. In fact, that seems to me to have been above average in quality in my experience.
Thanks for the reply.

You must have gotten a bad batch, as the PPU (Prvi Partizan) 9mm ammo I've shot has always packed a little punch.

OK, here's a long post, hopefully it can help someone.

My "oomph" tester, to see if ammo is soft or hot, is a Chinese T-54 in 9mm. This was my first pistol, so I've held onto it over the years.
This gun, with the military grip panels and the way the grip angle is, it seems to be more sensitive to loads. Not that it doesn't function, but that I feel the recoil impulse more. It has a 4.5 inch barrel (approx), so I can also judge the "fireball" aspect, or any sparks indicating whether all the powder burns cleanly before the bullet leaves the barrel...

Over the years, using this pistol as a meter:

Blazer, Freedom reman; has been gentle.
UMC... my limited experiences with that have been too variable to try them again. Several boxes over the years, just did not like it at all. Couldn't group

WWB- this originally was my standard ammo, before the world changed. Didn't know any better, so I just shot it up and assumed it was "good". My experience is that it is inconsistent too, though not as bad as UMC. Soft to moderate, open groups, pretty dirty. (Blazer Aluminum, of all things, led me to conclude that WWB was inconsistent; as the Blazer ammo produced a more uniform recoil).

American Eagle= consistent at the mid-level, clean. It recoiled as firmly as the WWB, but didn't fluctuate like that did.

PMC- first tried this during one of the initial 9mm shortages, maybe the first one under Obama. Found it comparable to American Eagle, with maybe a little more recoil, but quite consistent. Clean flash, but left the internals dirtier than American Eagle did.

Sellier and Bellot- I actually bought a few boxes at the gunshow when I got my T-54, think it was before 2000, so during Clinton's run. I shot it up, but changed to WWB, because of availability and "made in America"; I've switched back and try to stick with it now. Cleaner (by a lot) than WWB, firm recoil, clean fireball with no sparks, tight groups.
I'd say the 124 has a little more recoil than the 115 (S&B and Herters), not a lot.
I always save a box to keep beside my CZ 75, since they're both Czech

Fiocchi- I found this very comparable to Sellier and Bellot, clean, nice flash, firm recoil, no sparks. I went to this around the same time I went to S&B, and I'd buy more, if it didn't cost just a little more than S&B whenever I look. I save 1 box to keep beside my Beretta 92SF, because Italian

PPU (prvi partizan)- started shooting this during the first shortage. It felt like a good thump recoil, along the lines of PMC, maybe cleaner. Seems to have a clean fireball without sparks for me. Now that I have a Zastava CZ99, gonna need to keep a box alongside that, because Serbian

Aguila- came across a good deal about a year ago, maybe 8.99 a box; I bought a case before that all sold out. 124 gr with crimped cases. Has a good firm recoil, pretty dirty, throws sparks occasionally. I might keep a box alongside my Star pistols, as Star is Spanish, and Aguila is Mexican... it's the closest I can find to native ammo on the market.

Yavex- tried this out awhile back, thought it was ok. I recently got a decent stash at a solid price, before it all vanished. 124 gr, sealed primers and cases, Turkish ammo. Like the Aguila, it has a good firm recoil, throws a couple of sparks, but not as dirty when I clean the gun. Good groups.

MEN- I got some of this when I got the S&B surplus white box, I think some of the boxes had both MEN and S&B in it. This is NATO spec with the cross markings. Good, firm, clean. Shoots identical to the Sellier and Bellot I've gotten. Groups are ok, maybe the best I've been able to get out of my FEG P9 (Hi-Power clone).

I think that's all, barring some ammo bought at the range...

Regarding my FEG HP, the S&B and MEN white box ammo groups well. With WWB, I seriously thought that gun might have a crown issue, as it threw up big groupings despite everything I did. This is at standard distances, maybe from 7 to 15 yds.

For accuracy over a bigger distance- I'm always shooting while standing, 2 handed hold in some version of Weaver stance (I'm just most comfortable and balanced that way), lefthanded. At 7 ft to infinity...
and for the record, I'm a decent shot, but I do not compete or anything like that. I'm by no means a dead-on shooter, but I do think I shoot ok for my own needs and purposes.

Ok then;
Indoor range- 25 yards, CZ 75, shooting at an empty S&B box clipped to the target (think about the size of a pack of cigarettes):
S&B 124 gr FMJ from the white box- 4 of 5 on paper, one flyer (and I could tell that the front blade drifted when I shot).

Outdoor range, 50 yd range, I think the berm is around 55 or so.
Star Modelo B Super, shooting at white paper plates (actually styrofoam), not the full dinner plates but I'd guess the next size smaller; someone had a few laying on the berm.
S&B regular stuff, 115 gr fmj, it took me a couple-3 shots to zero in, then I was able to hit the plates pretty consistently.
Old October 28, 2016, 03:36 PM   #24
pblanc

My experience sort of mirrors that of scoobysnacker.

Blazer Brass has been consistently reliable for me as has Federal American Eagle. I usually shoot the 124 grain in 9mm if I have a choice. I haven't noticed Blazer to be softer thatn American Eagle but I haven't really analyzed it critically.

PMC bronze and Sellier and Bellot also seem to be consistently good. I have had good results with Fiocchi but I have read on the net in the last year or two a number of complaints regarding Fiocchi. One shooter who chronographed it claims it is loaded weaker than in prior years. Fiocchi also makes the "Pefecta" 9mm ammo sold by Walmart, which is distributed by Tulammo, and I have heard some complain about that.

I have had acceptable results with Remington UMC, Magtech, and Winchester white box but all seem to be somewhat less consistent than the prior brands. I have had very good results with the 124 gr NATO spec ammo sold by Winchester and Freedom Munitions, however. Aquila has also been a decent performer.

I have shot some Geco and quite a bit of PPU. My impression was that it was OK, not superb. Much of the 9mm PPU ammo I have shot is the stuff sold by Academy Sports and branded Monarch brass. The 200 rounds of bad PPU I got came in Privi Partizan boxes, however, and I am pretty sure it was 115 grain.

Another brand that I have had absolutely no complaints about is Speer Lawman.

If the price is right, my top choices in 9mm ammo are 124 grain NATO by Winchester or Freedom, 124 grain Speer Lawman, 124 grain PMC bronze, 124 grain Federal American Eagle, or 124 grain Blazer Brass by CCI.
Old October 30, 2016, 07:06 AM   #25
larryh1108

My 9mms seem to be the most accurate with 124gr bullets. I don't shoot steel or aluminum cases so I can't comment on those.

My .22s function best with ammo that is 1200fps+ with a round nose (RN) bullet. I don't understand why anyone shooting a .22LR pistol would use the HP ammo. I can see it (kinda) using it in a rifle for varmint control but target pistol shooting only asks for function issues.