The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2016, 02:46 PM   #26
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Well that post pretty much throws everything you say into question. You have a lot to learn.

Good luck on your journey.

No not in need of a lot of learning just not a 9mm fan boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 21, 2016, 09:47 PM   #27
DHart

Forty is my favorite caliber, followed by .45auto. 9mm takes the back seat at my place (but is there). Sheeple flocking to 9 is fine by me. I love forty now even more than ever. Awesome caliber; good potency, high capacity, great to reload. Long live forty!

Enjoy the deals.

Next year, if the witch is back, we may all be registering our ammo purchases and paying exhoribant taxes when buying it. Just a matter of time, folks. You KNOW that is coming.
Old October 22, 2016, 07:46 PM   #28
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Sheeple flocking to 9 is fine by me.
I love how I have become "sheeple" because I like 9mm.
Old October 22, 2016, 09:16 PM   #29
DHart

Having or buying 9mm doesn't necessarily make you a sheeple. I've had nines for many years and just bought two more (P320 Full Size 9 and P320 Compact Size 9) very recently.

Forty remains my favorite defense caliber and my carry gun caliber, however, in spite of whatever the FBI, or anybody else, does. And I just bought three more forties, as well (P320 Full 40, P320 Carry 40, and M&P40C).

There are those, of course, motivated primarily by the actions of others, who trade in their 45's and 40's for nines. They are the sheeple! Beware the sheeple!
Old October 23, 2016, 08:16 PM   #30
Joe_Pike

I actually started with 9mm due to cost considerations back when .40 S&W was all the rage. I do have to admit, though, that the plethora of good, cheap used forties has tempted me to dip my toe into the water. So far I have resisted temptation.
Old October 23, 2016, 11:17 PM   #31
erikrichard

"I actually started with 9mm due to cost considerations back when .40 S&W was all the rage. I do have to admit, though, that the plethora of good, cheap used forties has tempted me to dip my toe into the water. So far I have resisted temptation."

First of all, why doesn't this forum have a way to easily quote a poster in a reply?
Secondly, why not try a .40 now that prices of guns and ammo are cheap? While ballisticallly .40 and .45 are about equal, .40 ammo is far cheaper in a smaller, higher capacity round. 9mm is a good round, but not in the same class, no matter what you read on the web claiming they are all the same.
Old October 24, 2016, 09:09 AM   #32
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Secondly, why not try a .40 now that prices of guns and ammo are cheap?
Money, plain and simple. I'll make less this year than what I was making 15 years ago. It sure does suck to lose a good job when you're older then try to get back on your feet.
Old October 30, 2016, 08:24 PM   #33
stephen426

The .40 is a great round but it is harder to control in the subcompact guns. I do have a few guns in .40 though including my STI Edge and two Sig P229s. I wish I could find ammo at that price. I have a few thousand rounds of .40 so unless it is a great deal, I'm probably okay.
Old October 31, 2016, 10:23 PM   #34
ZeroTX

If you guys are all apocalypse contingency planning, keep in mind 9mm is NATO, which means UN troops will arrive with 9mm by the truckloads for you to obtain for your own use through whatever means necessary. Just saying... if you're a prepper of that sort.
Old November 1, 2016, 04:37 AM   #35
rightside

I think there are plenty of people who loved the 9mm before the FBI deemed it their new answer . I am one of them. Taking advantage of the glut of 40's abandoned because someone else said they have become irrelevant just makes good sense to me. The 40 is not the best of everything either, but it is far from irrelevant because a government agency deems it so.
Old November 1, 2016, 11:15 AM   #36
P5 Guy

That is the same pricing I saw last weekend at the gun show on CCI mini mags. $15.00 per hundred for rimfire?
Old November 1, 2016, 10:55 PM   #37
Bongo Boy

In my mind the best thing about 40SW is that if you handload, it's just about as free as you can get without going back to the 60s.
Old November 1, 2016, 11:20 PM   #38
erikrichard

"In my mind the best thing about 40SW is that if you handload, it's just about as free as you can get without going back to the 60s."

How is that? the cheapest .40 plated bullets I can find are $.11, primers are $.03, and powder is $25/lb. Assuming free brass you are looking at .16/ea, hardly close to free. I honestly can't believe the cost of handloading compared to when I was into it 8 years ago, I used to reload 9mm for less than half of that.

Last edited by erikrichard; November 1, 2016 at 11:27 PM.