The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2016, 02:19 PM   #51
Erno86

You can add 3lbs to the buttstock of your rifle, with "Brownells- AR15/M16 buttstock weight --- Drops into the A-2 buttstock and is retained by the trap door. The preformed lead weight ingot increases the rear weight, that balances out muzzle-heavy match AR15's for consistent shot-to-shot accuracy."

--- George Orwell
Old October 5, 2016, 08:32 PM   #52
MistWolf

If any part of the carrier is making contact with rear of the upper, something is wrong.

Chainsaw, make sure your rifle is using a rifle spring and rifle buffer with the rifle RE. A carbine or A5 buffer will be too short and will let the carrier contact the rest of the upper and will cause you no end of woes.

If you are still having sharper than normal recoil after verifying the buffer and spring match the RE, the spring has the right rate and the buffer the right weight, it means your rifle is over gassed and needs an adjustable gas block
Old October 5, 2016, 08:55 PM   #53
Chainsaw.

New Aero rifle spring is in but its gonna be a minute till I can drag her back to the range.

About the buffer weight, how do I know what is "Right"? I know AR mechanisms inside and out but have never had to tune one like this so it pretty french.

Recommendations on adjustable gas blocks? Preferably high quality.
Old October 6, 2016, 03:13 AM   #54
MistWolf

If I recall, a rifle buffer should be about 5.2 ounces. I suggest verifying that, though.

I've got an SLR adjustable gas block on my shorty. The gas port on the 10.5" barrel I used measures .083" and the SLR gives me fine control over the gas flow. It's been reliable, but I've only got three or four hundred rounds through it
Old October 6, 2016, 10:12 AM   #55
bfoosh006

+1 on the SLR adjustable gas block.

Also as for tuning... dependent on the ammo... full power 5.56 or under powered PMC .223 / Wolf....what do you typically fire ?

If you watch your ejection pattern, an over gassed / needs a heavier buffer weight will eject case darn near at the 01:00 postion.... mine all eject at about 04:30... find out where your rifle ejects at.

And heavier Rifle buffers cost bucks... you could make your own by changing out some of the steel weights for tungsten weights... ( easy to do ) ..

But first tell us where you are ejecting at.

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...eight-tungsten
Old October 6, 2016, 10:51 AM   #56
Bartholomew Roberts

I'd try the simple, cheap fixes first. Examine the rifle for obvious problem signs (rubber end of buffer chewed up, marks on lower receiver extension ring indicating impact). Then swap uppers, try a different recoil spring to see if you can get the problem localized.

New buffers and adjustable gas wouldn't even be indicated as a solution until you had first determined whether the problem was a bad buffer spring or an overgassed rifle (unless you just want to "tune" the rifle).

If you decide to go that route there are adjustable gas keys, adjustable BCGs (adjust gas through port) as well as adjustable gas blocks. I haven't used the gas keys or BCGs; but they can be cheaper and easier to implement if you want adjustable gas. Then you have the different buffer weights, hydraulic buffers, and all kinds of various space age buffer improvments.
Old October 6, 2016, 11:47 AM   #57
Chainsaw.

Thanks for the advise guys, I will try those simple tings first Bart, Ive got a few carbines I can so some swapping on. The new Aero spring is in.

As far as the ejection pattern Ill check it out too. Not sure on it. My carbine how ever is sweet, about 4 o-clock, I have put a five gallon bucket up when shooting from a rest and had 80% of the cases make it into the bucket. The rest were just around it.
Old October 8, 2016, 05:56 PM   #58
Penn25

Waaaay back I carried an M14 as a rifleman. When I was issued an M16 during the change. After using the M14 shooting an M16 was like a BB gun in comparison. It's all relative I reckon lol.

Aloha