The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1
John1 S

power question

Has anyone used IMR trail Boss power and how did you like it???
Old January 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Gdawgs

It's great for light loads. It's the most versatile powder made. You can use it with virtually every cartridge/bullet combination, although it most likely won't cycle semi-autos. I've been meaning to try that, but haven't got around to it yet.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf
Old January 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
chiefr

I have used trail boss. IMHO, I do not like it. Not being critical of those who use it however. I can see it has a niche for those who subscribe to "fill the case with powder" concept. I do find this powder makes accurate reloads.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
buck460XVR

TrailBoss works very well within the parameters it was designed for and is capable of producing a safe, soft-shooting load in virtually any caliber. It duplicates Black Powder velocities without the mess of black powder. It does not like to be compressed, but my best luck with it was @ 90-100% of case capacity. That said, I still have some of the first and only 9 OZ can I ever bought, left on the shelf.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Ifishsum

I've played with it in .45 Colt, nothing wrong with it at all but it didn't make me want to switch all my loads to it either. It has it's place - lighter loads with cast bullets - and it certainly fills up the case better than Bullseye or Red Dot.

It's cheap to try some, but it's so fluffy that only 9 ounces fit into a normal sized can.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
rclark

Here is some reading. I did quite a bit of testing with it in .45 Colt and other calibers. Here is a couple posts of results for .45 Colt.

Trail Boss .45 Colt 255g SWC

Trail Boss .45 Colt 250g RNFP

I like the powder, but don't use it much any more, simply because I have went to a Green Dot load that I like for general use.

Trail Boss is great for light loads and great for beginners as it fills the case.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.