The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2010, 01:38 PM   #1
VasiliyZaitsev

Primers, how important are they? Match, Magnum or Regular?

Just a beginner here, lots to learn. I have completed a few dozen rounds for my 308, happy with performance so far. Just wondering if primers are something to be considered for reloading, some guys just use regular lr federal and happy as clams others say use magnum primers or match primers. Just how critical are they and how much improvement can you expect from upgrading your primers. Or is it just an excuse for not hitting the target
Old November 12, 2010, 02:00 PM   #2
hogcowboy

I stick to the recipes published. I was told once that if you are get a lot of unburned powder you can use a magnum primer if one wasn't called for. I done that on some recipes with success. But I basically stick to the recipes.

American Legion Rider
Old November 12, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
wncchester

Repeat after me:

Match is for match rifles.

Magnum is for magnum rifles.

Standard is for everything else.

Old November 12, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Tim R

wncchester, I don' t agree with your post 100%. I have found using match primers can at times make groups smaller. Also different manf's of primers can also affect groups sizes. It's worth not only working up with different powder charges, it's worth working up with different primers.

I'm using mag match primers for a 30-30 I use for lever gun matches. Mainly because I'm using ball powder which requires the use of a mag primer.
Old November 12, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

For rifles, I use match primers because, for the amount that I shoot, the price difference is entirely negligible. It amounts to $13 per 1000, or 1.3 cents per shot. For my rifles, that amounts to probably $7 a year. Even if I shot 1000 rounds a month, $13 had better not be a deal breaker or I'm probably already WAY overspending.

In handgun, the difference in primers is meaningless for me. A gun that shoots 3 inch groups at 25 yards is not going to be terribly effected by one primer over another.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:25 PM   #6
deepcore

Curious as to what makes match primers rated as "match."
Old November 13, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Match primers are supposed to be more consistent. They are supposedly built by the most experienced workers in the factory.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Sevens

We need a primer primer!

These are some ideas that I stick to. They aren't law, but they have served me well for a couple decades:

Bench Rest primers are more expensive because they say they use a more stringent quality control process when they build them. They are supposed to be closer to exactly the same from shot to shot with little variation. I would imagine that some outfit has done testing on them, but in any case, I avoid them. It's not that I believe they are bad primers, I avoid them because I believe that I can do just fine without the expense of them.

If I were shooting 300 or 500 or 600 or more yards, I might drastically change my tune.

Magnum primers aren't specifically for magnum loads. Magnum, when used in a cartridge or caliber name or headstamp is basically marketing. There is no set parameters for what makes a cartridge "magnum", it's only a name.

A magnum primer is called for when you are using a particular powder that is well known as being difficult to fully and evenly ignite. Magnum primers burn hotter with a longer flame.

Truth is, you could build EVERY LOAD YOU MAKE with magnum primers to no ill effects. You'd simply need to work the load up from start with magnum primers and stick to them.

In a different world that didn't already have 100 years of handloading proceeding right now, we could probably get by with magnum primers and none of the regular ones. But the buying market loves choices and the manufacturers will continuing to make anything if people are apt to buy them.

As for which you should use, you can safely pick ANY of them from any brand. But what you should remember is that changing primers anywhere along in the process can set you back and in some cases, be quite dangerous.

You can use brand X to start, and work up your loads until you hit either the accuracy or velocity you seek (or both!) but once you get up near max, it's a BAD idea to change brands or types of primers. If you started with Winchester and you build a load near, at or over max, do NOT then stick a Remington primer in there. And for sure, do NOT stick a magnum primer in there. If you feel the need to change primers, reduce the load and re-work it. Substituting a new primer in an already hot load can be enough to push it over the edge.

If you are new to reloading and picking out a primer, my suggestion is to choose a brand that you can get your hands on for a price you like. For me, that was CCI, non-magnum. I started with those and I'm still using them all these years later. I don't pretend to believe they are better than Winchester, Wolf, Remington, Federal or anything else, I just know that my loads like them and I can get them, so that's what I use.

And for me, I just avoid any powders and loads that specifically ask for magnum primers. Because I already stock primers in all four physical sizes, I'm annoyed at the very idea that I'd need to add magnum primers to that shopping list. Never say never, but I've avoided them for all these years, so that's still my plan.
Old November 13, 2010, 11:35 AM   #9
rgarman

Sometime in the last 20yrs, a shooting magazine (probably Shooting Times) had hi speed photos of the flame from different primers. If I remember correctly, there was a big difference between manufactures and mag. vs standard.
Old November 13, 2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Pongo

A few pictures here. http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
Old November 13, 2010, 05:50 PM   #11
4runnerman

Plus one for sevens. I load 223 and will never use any thing other than a bench rest primer. And yes certain powders do call for mag primers. The published load is just a start point only.
Old November 13, 2010, 09:10 PM   #12
wncchester

"wncchester, I don' t agree with your post 100%."

Neither do I Tim, not 100%. But it is technically correct in principle and it's all a reloading noob needs to understand.

Mr. VasiliyZaitsev tells us he's new. Would you suggest a noob spend the money for match primers before he really learns to load precisely? Or get concerned about standard or mag primers in heavy loads of ball powder in his .30-30 target rifle or his 30-06 for winter hunting in Canada? Etc. Sometimes an overload of largely meaningless and esotoric info is less help than clear simplicity. IMHO

I think he has enough to learn at this point without worrying with all that, so my post stands exactly as written!

Last edited by wncchester; November 13, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old November 13, 2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Sevens

Quote:
I think he has enough to learn at this point without worrying with all that, so my post stands exactly as written!
Except for this part:
Quote:
Last edited by wncchester; Today at 09:21 PM.
Old November 13, 2010, 11:19 PM   #14
t45

I use match primers in all my rifle loads. For a few extra dollars per 1000 I figure it is worth it.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:53 AM   #15
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Repeat after me:

Match is for match rifles.

Magnum is for magnum rifles.

Standard is for everything else.
But what am I supposed to use if I am firing a Magnum caliber in a Standard rifle Match? (Sorry, had to.)

I use the same rule of thumb that wncchester stated. But, being a rule of thumb, it is over ruled by experience and/or load recipes.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:09 AM   #16
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Sometimes magnum primers make a difference, sometimes they do not. Sometimes you get better consistency in speed and better accuracy, sometime they make consistency garbage. Sometimes they raise pressures. Sometimes they work just like the book says a normal primer should. It is impossible to generalize.

Based on the cartridge, the powder, the amount you charge with and the bullet weight, the behavior of the whole system will vary and the primer will contribute to this.

My advice is to always start low (no matter which primer you choose) and stick with BR or standard primers. I have an old supply of magnum WLP primers I got during the shortage and they work very well, now that I have developed loads for them, but it is a very time and bullet intensive process.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:54 AM   #17
wncchester

Sevems: "Except for this part: Quote: Last edited by wncchester; Today at 09:21 PM."

I was refering to post #3 when I edited post #12 for grammer.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Sevens

wncchester, I'm just breakin' balls. No more, no less.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:18 AM   #19
mehavey

Magnum primers normally go with graphite-coated/ball powders or long powder columns.

Generally I run CCI's BR series for default loading (unless it's a ball powder or my 300WM and up)

If I find large velocity variances on any extruded powder w/ any rifle cartridge (eg., SD>20), I'll try a magnum primer to see if it settles down. Sometimes it does (dramatically); sometimes no effect at all.

It's magic.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Here's a good primer on primers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Sevens

I like that rundown. One part that was particularly worth note is that there is no pre-stressing of primers, making them "closer to ignition or instability" by seating them, or seating them too far.
Old November 16, 2010, 05:23 PM   #22
VasiliyZaitsev

wow didn't expect that...

Didn't expect that much on primers, OK...I am using Federal LR, may be next load I will try federal match.
Old November 16, 2010, 05:49 PM   #23
William T. Watts

Anything slower in burn rate than either one of the 4350 powders gets a mag primer, additionally I use a mag primer with any double base powder. I do have match primers but I cannot swear they shrink group size, FWIW I will not purchase any more. William
Old November 16, 2010, 06:31 PM   #24
6shot

dang i didn't know there was so much difference in primers, you learn something new every day.

Tags
handloading , lr primers , magnum primers , match primers , reloading