The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2007, 10:29 PM   #26
SLOMountaineer

LOL! I totally relate. I don't shoot near as much as I reload. At last count, I had 24,000 rounds of ammo in my cabinet. I even reloaded some .380 the other day and I don't even own a gun that can shoot it!
Old June 29, 2007, 05:58 AM   #27
ShootingNut

SLOMountain, Heaven Forbid

If you house ever burns down, BUT if it ever does maybe it will be on the Fourth of July!
Old June 29, 2007, 06:47 AM   #28
Gunrnr

OK, this might hurt for a minute, but you now need to stand up and say, "My name is _________ and I'm a Brassaholic". I need to find help. I need to find vast open fields where people with more money than brains do their shooting. I need more friends. I need MORE friends who shoot quality, American-made, boxer-primed, brasssssssssCassssses.... and don't know how to spell "RCBS" and think who think "Dillon" was a 1920s-era gangster.

I feel your pain, Brudda, I've had the affliction for years. I have been compelled to purchase guns in calibers I had never heard of, because I found large quantities of near-perfect brass in or near my favorite shooting areas. I've spent an hour shooting at my Gun Club and then two and a half hours brass hunting.

Yes, my name is Gunrunner and I'm a brassaholic. Problem is my twelve-step program is just enough to get me over to your shooting position to see what you left behind...
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php

Last edited by Gunrnr; June 29, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old June 29, 2007, 07:24 AM   #29
ShootingNut

Gunrnr

Quote:
Yes, my name is Gunrunner and I'm a brassaholic. Problem is my twelve-step program is just enough to get me over to your shooting position to see what you left behind...
Don't get your hopes up, I DON'T LEAVE MUCH. And when I can't find a few of my little babies, I freak out and they send my right be into Rehab!
Old June 29, 2007, 07:27 AM   #30
StrikeEagle

If you think you got it bad now... you should get into casting.

I love shooting... but there are times when I think I like reloading just as much (if not more) and there are times I think I like casting even more than reloading!

Like the kids say... "It's all good!"
Old June 29, 2007, 11:36 AM   #31
gandog56

Quote:
You are definately showing the signs of early addiction. Soon your symptons will advance to buying sets of dies you have no gun for and will eventually lead to scrounging used wheelweights as well as brass.
Nah, I just go to www.ammobrasstrader.com and trade them for what I need.
Old June 29, 2007, 06:42 PM   #32
BigJimP

We're all a little twisted probably - I shoot at an indoor range and I also pick up my "share" of the stuff laying around ( I can't bear to just leave it there ...).

I'm still picking up brass - even though I have a 5 gallon tub full of polished and cleaned brass in every caliber I load .....and another 5 gallon tub of brass that is sorted, but still not cleaned, almost full, in every caliber I load. That doesn't count the 60 gallon tubs of shotgun shells .......2 each in 12 and 20 gague or one 20 gallon tub of 28ga and another with .410 hulls( of course you can probably put 5,000 hulls of each in those 20 gal tubs.) But I keep telling my wife, I'm not out in bars drinking and chasing around - yes, I might be a little addicted, but I'm not hurting anybody....but women think you should only have one gun in .45 ACP too ( let alone one from at least 3 mfg's ......I don't know where they get these dumb ideas). So what's 1,000 lbs of brass laying around .......it's not a big deal .....you're fine....and welcome to our sickness.
Old June 29, 2007, 07:39 PM   #33
Gunrnr

Ohhh Nooooooo!

Good Lord, BigJim -- you're hooked on PLASTIC, TOO?!?! That's really bad. That's like...TWO drugs instead of one. Like booze AND broads, instead of just, er, ahhh, ...OK, those two DO go together.

And you caster-dudes -- that's fine and dandy, UNLESS you cast your own birdshot. That's just a little on the kinky side, if'n ya know what I mean...

(OK, buckshot and slugs -- but that's enough!)

...don't tell anyone I make my own sinkers, OK?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php
Old June 30, 2007, 05:41 PM   #34
SLOMountaineer

Quote:
SLOMountain, Heaven Forbid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you house ever burns down, BUT if it ever does maybe it will be on the Fourth of July!
Will my 23,000 primers have any effect on the conflagration?

What about my 20 lbs of powder?
Old June 30, 2007, 09:20 PM   #35
22bore

Shooting and reloading

Welcome to the club!
Old June 30, 2007, 10:46 PM   #36
oldcars

I am so glad I'm not alone!!!!!!!! I thought I was sick for wanting to buy a .40 cal just because I find lots of that brass, but I feel so much better now. I am 26 and just started reloading a few months ago but I enjoy it alot and it apeals to the packrat/collector side of my brain. Free stuff, just lying out in the sand waiting to be scooped up, sepperated, and stored in little bags. I even have my girlfriend chasing the emties that her mini 14 tosses 40 feet in a semi random patern. I went to the place out in the sage brush whare I usually shoot the other day and picked up brass for an hour and a half then took a few shots with a .22 and went home. And I thought I was there to shoot!!!
Old June 30, 2007, 11:59 PM   #37
firechicken

The range I go to most is an outdoor public range. In the summer I like to go before work when it's cool, and nobody else is there. I can usually start shooting by 6 AM and don't have to leave until 7:30. More than a few mornings I've only gotten in a few minutes of shooting time. Too much brass, so little time. I guess I just feel obligated to pick up other peoples "trash".

I did the "reload for a gun I don't have yet" thing too. It started by finding a bunch of 45 ACP brass. I thought "well, I've always wanted a 45", so I bought dies and some 200gr SWC (already had the Bullseye). I think I had 200 rounds loaded by the time I got my 45. I shot about 50 rounds of 45 ACP today, and I lost one of those guys. I'll miss him. I only have about 1K!

I honestly don't know if I reload to shoot, or shoot to reload.
Old July 1, 2007, 07:44 AM   #38
Peter M. Eick

There are practical limits to it though. Some brass is not worth picking up and then where do you store it. I noted that yesterday I need to start reloading again. I have about 15000 pieces of various brass that needs to be filled. I will start tonight with the 1000 odd 30 carbines and then hit maybe the 5000 odd 357 sigs next.

I did yes that I need to do another write up on the Pro2000. I have loaded over 150,000 rnds on it now and I did not even do a write up at 150k. Maybe I will just delay till 200,000 rnds.
Old July 2, 2007, 09:23 AM   #39
alsmith

Priority Mail Boxes Great for Spent Brass Storage

Priority Mail Boxes are great for spent brass storage. They are square, rugged and stack just great on shelves.

Al
Old July 2, 2007, 01:46 PM   #40
SLOMountaineer

Quote:
ammo factory? WHERE? Feel free to share that ammo when you need to.....
You joined yesterday and already have 52 posts? I'd say you have a problem of a different sort.
Old July 3, 2007, 03:11 PM   #41
870pilot

picking up brass... you've got to be kidding

gentlemen... i must live in a area that is inhabited by 100% hardcore reloaders because when i stop by the two ranges in my neighborhood they are picked CLEAN

even the five gallon bucket marked for brass recycling is empty... free brass in the sand is rare here in southern vermont... i have to buy ALL my .45 and .223 brass, the only guns i load for...

consider all you successful brass harvesters fortunate
Old July 3, 2007, 04:21 PM   #42
ShootingNut

Pilot

In Cheesehead country, brass is left all over the place. Apparently must be a lot of folks that don't reload, just stock up at WallyMart or Farm & Fleet, and let em' fly.
Old July 3, 2007, 04:38 PM   #43
Dead-Nuts-Zero

When I finish shooting, I tell my buddy I thought I saw some good brass in the trash bin. While he is diving, I go pick up whatever I can find. He usually finds a few but I do better. Hope he dosen't read this.

Another problem I have is the few feet near the backstop where the lead bullets drop. I pick them up and look at them and sometimes it hard to tell if they have been fired. Well the jackets are so hard, maybe they would go bang one more time??? But I think I know better on this one.
Old July 3, 2007, 04:39 PM   #44
Sigma 40 Blaster

Glad to see I'm not the only one who will pull targets out of the trash cans just to see if there is anything shiny at the bottom...luckily I'm at an outdoor range and my fellow members are considerate enough to put anything besides ammo boxes and targets in a burn barrell outside.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:17 PM   #45
WSM MAGNUM

Last week I hanging down in the trash barrels at my range, rooting thru the garbage getting the brass I wanted. The Range Officer rides up on his ATV and looks to see if I had my range badge on me to make sure I was`nt some bum sifting thru the trash. As I was shootin and waiting a couple of minutes between shots I was watching this dude tossing brand new out of the box .30/06 Remington brass right in the trash barrel after each shot.
Guess I`ve got the disease too. I`m turning into a pack rat.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old July 6, 2007, 07:56 AM   #46
870pilot

having to buy brass

just a thought... if you brass-rich folks wanna help a brass-less reloader of .223 and .45 and have more of brass beauties than you can ever reload, and you wanna make a few dollars for your brass scrounging addiction, please PM me, i am in the market!

thanks

ps... IF i could find some shooting gold on the ground here in vermont, i'd be scooping up stuff just like you guys... brass is a drug!
Old July 6, 2007, 01:25 PM   #47
Hook686

There's a catch ...

... yup, it sure sounds like insanity to me ... but there is a catch ... catch-22. If you recall that book, it kinda goes, "If you know you are crazy, then you really are not."

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 6, 2007, 01:48 PM   #48
MAUSER88

I do it too. I must have a minimum of 50,000 pieces of assorted brass I have picked over the last 15 years.