The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Trapp

Moving on up...

Gonna start loading all my ammo now. Currently I load 30'06, .45acp, 44mag, and 358win. This is all done on a 20+ year old RCBS single stage (original rock chucker?). It currently takes about 3 days to produce 1000 rds (due to time constraints) I plan on adding to the reloading: 380acp, 9mm, 40s&w, 357mag, 38spc, .223, 7.62x39, and any other future calibers I will procure.

Now the big question!?!? What press? What is the difference between the turret and progressives? I plan on loading about 1,000 rds at a time for over half of these calibers.

I am also gonna keep ol' faithful for my 358, and 30'06.

Any advice on what to look for? key features? specific models?
Old April 18, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Archie

History...

I loaded most all my ammo on a LEE turret press for years. (I wore the press out.) The nice part about the Lee turret is you can set up dies and not have to readjust them.

After wearing out the Lee, I blew my tax refund on a Dillon XL 650 in 1996 or so.

There is no comparison.

For rifle calibers, or experimental purposes, like developing loads and such, the single stage or turret type is dandy. However, once one had finalized a load, the Dillon progressive has no equal for turning out quantities of uniform ammunition.

If you are considering loading several hundred rounds of a particular caliber at one setting, the progressive is the only way to go. The Dillon 650 will load pretty much any caliber, pistol or rifle. The only problem is buying components - you'll find quickly bullets come in boxes of 500 at a minimum. Yeah, manufacturers still package them in boxes of 100, but why? Same with primers. Powder is not suitable unless it comes in four pound or better jugs.

Other guys have experience with Hornady progressives. Some folks here use the Lee progressive. Hopefully they will chime in.

However, for overall versatility and bulk rate of loading, I think the Dillon is the King Kong Daddy of the bunch.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 18, 2006, 04:25 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

progressives

Beware progressives. Not that they are bad, but it is more likely for something to go wrong than with a single stage setup. I have Lyman and RCBS single stage presses, and a Dillon 450B. I used the Dillon for many years, and had several problems, usually my fault I admit. But there was one thing that I decided I did not like. Resizing cases at the same time as everything else. Especially rifle cases. The extra force required removed the "feel" I was used to when seating bullets. So, if a bullet tipped on the way into the die, I wouldn't feel it until things got mashed.

So, I changed my reloading regimen, I resize all my brass first. Then I can load them easier, with fewer problems. I realize this is not needed, but it works best for me.

As you can tell by the number, my Dillon is rather old, but I have had it since new, and see no reason to "upgrade".

I can't speak to the Lee press, never used one, but I have used Lee dies, and some of their hand tools. I don't care much for their dies, but that is just a personal thing, they work ok. I do use the hand decapping punch and base alot. Their press is likely ok, but I have heard from some people that they have "worn one out". this makes me wonder. I don't ever hear of someone wearing out a Lyman, or an RCBS, or for that matter, a Dillon.

Just beware, it is easier to make a mistake on a progressive, partly because this speed up, and partly because there is less handling (inspection) of things (cases, primer seating, powder charge, etc).
Best of Luck
Old April 18, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4
hoghunting

I shot pistols in competition and went through 500 rounds per week. I used a Dillion press and never had a problem that I didn't cause. Very good equipment.
Old April 19, 2006, 08:03 AM   #5
HSMITH

I use a couple 550B's for production. I can load pistol ammo at a sustained rate of 500 per hour, rifle is a little slower but not much.

If I could do it over I think I would have one 550 and one 650, the 650 is a lot faster with the case feeder and auto index. If I had the money I would go right to a 1050, you an load 1100 rounds per hour without too much effort. The 1050 is SOOOO sweet you would not believe it until you use one.

650 and 1050 conversion kits are a lot more expensive than 550 conversions. I load enough different ammo on mine that a 1050 and all the conversions would pay for a nice used car. A 650 would be a lot cheaper to outfit than the 1050, but still a lot more expensive than the 550.

If you can afford it get the 1050, if not the 650, if that is still a little steep a 550 will be a great press for you.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Trapp

So, Dillon looks to be in the lead.......

No one with experiance with the RCBS pro 2000, or Hornady's progressive?

If so what are the downfalls to them? Initially I was interested in the Pro 2000, now I am leaning towards the Dillon 650.....