The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2015, 04:55 PM   #1
99whip

Stuck Mainspring Screw

The mainspring screw seems really stuck on a recent pickup that I'd like to tear down and give a good cleaning, an 1849 Pocket Revolver. I do have good hollow-ground bits that fit, but feels like it is taking much more effort than necessary to break it free and don't want to snap the head off. Maybe a good soaking in 50/50 ATF/Acetone will do it? Any other words of wisdom?
Old October 14, 2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

That penetrant mix outperforms all other "penetrants" hands down in my experience. Just keep in mind that it doesn't work in 5 minutes (neither does anything else), you gotta give it time to work, sometimes a couple of days is worth the wait, putting another drop or two on whenever you think about it. A heat gun, not a torch, helps to break the bond that has formed. My theory is that the acetone is so thin that it creeps in to any crack it can find and leaves a little oil behind. I have used it to remove choke tubes that have been rusted in literally for years, when it comes out there is oil all the way down the threads. Good luck. GW
Old October 14, 2015, 06:52 PM   #3
44 Dave

Get the hammer out of the way and swing the spring while turning the screw.
Holding the frame in a vice is necessary and getting the load off of the screw will help.
Old October 15, 2015, 11:08 AM   #4
99whip

Got it, thanks fellas. Soaked over nite, put it in the vise grip, gave it a few light taps, swung the spring, came right out. Piece of cake..