The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
countryfied252

Single Action 22 Revolver

I am wanting to get a single action 22 revolver. I know Ruger makes a good revolver but I cant afford a new one. I have tried to find a used one but I haven't had much luck. I also have heard good things about the heritage rough rider. Are there any other reliable brands of single action revolvers that you would recomend?
Old September 23, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
rep1954

I would search the gun auctions and the classified ads on the gun forums for a nice used Ruger Single Six before investing my money in a Heritage.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

You will see many opposing views after I post this, but I have to say I have been very happy with my Heritage Rough rider. Mine was around $130 out the door with both 22 LR and 22 Magnum cylinders, ballistic cloth holster, and in a wooden display case with a Civil War scene etched in the lid.
I am pleased with the accuracy, and it has been reliable. One unique feature is a hammer block manual safety on the left side opposite the loading gate. It tales a little getting used to for a revolver to have a safety leaver. But it might be a valuable addition for training a child, or newbie to guns.
The big complaint you will hear will come from the "It's made of pot metal" crowd. Yes, the frame is made of a zinc, aluminum, magnesium alloy called ZAMAC. It's not forged, or milled steel, or aluminum. But it also isn't the zinc material that used to be called pot metal. ZAMAC is actually used in the automotive, and aircraft industries in everything from engine parts to brake system parts. Other firearms that use ZAMAC parts include Hi-Point, Walther (P22), and many of the rimfire 1911 Colt copies.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 23, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
BigJimP

If you can't afford a new one / haven't found a used one...

I'd seriously suggest you broaden your search to Double action revolvers...and then just shoot it in single action ...( like a S&W mod 18, or 617...) or a Ruger ....
Old September 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I'll add a big +1 to what cheapshooter has to say. I own a number of handguns - Colts, S & Ws, Rugers, etc. I've shot SA for years and still prefer it over anything else. I wanted an inexpensive 22 SA a short time ago and ended up buying a Heritage RR with a 4 3/4" barrel - I love it. In fact, it's now my favorite SA 22 that I shoot an it has a permanent residence in my range bag.

Ignore all of the negative things that get posted on them - check them your yourself. One of the things that a lot of folks knock on them is the safety - shich sits to the left side of the hammer in the frame and flips up and down. Not what you usually find on a SA but hey, it's not a big deal and I have no problems with it at all. Mine is accurate and functions well - and I consider it an excellent value for the price. You can find them on sale once in a while. You can get one with just the 22 LR cylinder or the combo of both the 22 LR and 22 Mag cylinder. You'll also hear that Taurus recently bought them out - and there is plenty of negative vibes out there on Taurus (I've never owned one so I have no opinion on them). Heritage hasn't changed a thing though and for a beginning SA, I don't think you'd be disappointed. I have a Ruger Super Bearcat - I like the Heritage RR better, especially the size.

I've run across some used/vintage Ruger Single Six revolvers but they are usually int he $300 to $350 range in the area that I am in - used Bearcats the same.

I went with a 4 3/4" barrel Heritage as I often carry it and I like that barrel length. A lot of fellows like the longer 6 1/2" barrel models which I think are available with adjustable sights as well as the standard SA style sights (front blade/grooved frame). At least check them out.

Dont' get discouraged - you'll find something that is in your price range that will work well for you. Check your local gunshots as well as pawn shops. You'll run across something. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up with!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 23, 2012, 08:31 PM   #6
rodfac

Plus one on the Ruger Single Six...especially one of the old three-screw variety. My wife's, bought new in '72, will easily shoot 1-1/2" gps at 25 yds with most any ammunition. It's a keeper tho with some honest and not so honest wear about it. We seldom use the .22 Magnum cylinder and in fact lost it for nearly ten years without knowing it was missing. I've never run across one of those old Rugers that wasn't a good one. The pic below shows a typical five shot group on a piece of 2" masking tape used as an aiming point...shot at twenty five yards from a sitting position. Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
22-rimfire

If the choice is truly between no SA 22 and a Heritage Rough Rider, I'd personally buy the Heritage with the knowledge that eventually I will probably upgrade when funds are better.

Uberti also has a SA 22 revolver that runs around $300 new. Don't know much about them. They look and feel nice however.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:46 PM   #8
GaryH

Military Gun Supply in Ft Worth had some used Single Six revolvers. I bought one not long ago. Look them up and see what they have. They ship.

They won't be on the website. You'll need to call them.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Edward429451

I've shot single six's and own an old model Super Bearcat and a MK II. They have all been so trouble free that its easy to say go Ruger. They may cost a little more but it's worth it, even a used one. If I were to get another 22 handgun, it'd be that new SP101 22LR, 8 shot 4.2" Bbl model with the fiber optic & adj sights. I haven't handled one but I bet it's typical solid Ruger revolver.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
C5rider

I was uncertain about the choice between the two. Then I did this.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...vs+rough+rider

Not sure if it helps but, it might at least give you a little reading fodder while you're trying to decide.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:50 AM   #11
rclark

I have both the Rough Rider and the Single Six. My Rough Rider shoots to POA and is very accurate. For a cheap revolver I got a lot of use out of it (and still shoot it). It also has the nice 'three clicks' and half cock to load like a traditional six-shooter.... The Single Six is a much better built revolver hands down and is now my go to .22 in the field.... But from a 'critical' eye... the target can't tell whether hit with the Ruger or the Heritage..... Guess what I am saying is you can get a lot of good mileage and fun out of the RR if that is what you can afford. I know I did/do. Glad the subject came up! Time to put the RR back in the range bag for some fun shoot'n!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Grant D

+1 On the Heritage Rough Rider, no problems with mine.
Old September 24, 2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Phil-USN

For what it's worth I love my rough rider, goes everywhere my truck and me go.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:24 PM   #14
TennJed

I am seriously considering getting a EAA bounty hunter. 8 shots of 22lr or 222 mag. $263 new. Does anyone have any input on the material quality of these

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...LRWMR+6.75+B+8
Old September 24, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
iShoot17

I was looking for a while and became stuck on the Single Six after trying/handling multiple single action revolvers. I picked up my Ruger Single Six Hunter 7.5 last Monday and I absolutely love it. It cost a lot to pick it up, but at the same time, I would rather buy once and never worry rather than buy one and then have to invest again.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Obambulate

The NAA minis are $300 or less. Not all of them are tiny, you know. Some have 3", 4" or 6" barrels and would make pretty decent plinkers. Check out the Sheriff, Earl and Mini Master
Old September 26, 2012, 08:26 AM   #17
MrAcheson

My rough rider is a piece of crap. POA and POI are nowhere near each other. Fixed sights with no way to fix it because it shoots high. The sharp edges of the cylinder ratchet are chewing the frame up. And selling it might as well be giving it away because of how cheap they are.

Save for the Ruger.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:56 AM   #18
22-rimfire

Quote:
And selling it might as well be giving it away because of how cheap they are.
That's what landfills are for.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:10 AM   #19
aarondhgraham

If you are going to buy used,,,

You might consider a Colt Frontier Scout.

This one of mine was my Mother's pistol,,,
Pop gave it to her around 1965.

It has survived three boys growing up shooting it,,,
I can't even imagine how many bricks of rimfire have gone through it.

Just last weekend a friend of mine was obliterating a 1" bullseye at 15 yards.

Just an option to consider.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 26, 2012, 09:50 PM   #20
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
You might consider a Colt Frontier Scout.

This one of mine was my Mother's pistol,,,
Pop gave it to her around 1965.

It has survived three boys growing up shooting it,,,
I can't even imagine how many bricks of rimfire have gone through it.

Just last weekend a friend of mine was obliterating a 1" bullseye at 15 yards.

Just an option to consider.

Aarond

There is a blued one for sale locally for $499 that I have had my eye on
Old October 9, 2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Daggitt

There are valid reasons the Ruger costs more. It is better made and a long standing company. If you want a gun you can leave to your grandson and he can still get parts , buy the Ruger. If you want to save money , buy the Heritage. You can not have your cake and eat it too. I have a 22 revover here made in South America in the 1980's. The trigger wore out and no parts are available. I'd expect that is where that Heritage will be in 25 years. There is nothing wrong with the Heritage. However don't expect it to be a Ruger. It is not and never will be.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Stuck

+1 for the Ruger Single Six. I managed to pick up a 3 screw model at a pawn shop. It's easily my favorite gun I own, and also most accurate.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:43 PM   #23
highpower3006

The best advice that I can give is to be patient. If you keep on looking, you will find what you want. I readily admit that I know nothing about the Heritage brand of revolvers. If that is all you can afford then by all means buy one and if for some reason it doesn't work out, you won't have a bunch invested in it.

However, if you look around long enough, sooner or later a good deal on a Single Six will probably show up.

Two years ago a fellow I know came to me wanting to sell a couple Ruger single action revolvers out of an estate where he was the executor of the will. I really didn't want them at the time, so I passed on the deal. Six months later he came to me again and offered me the same revolvers, only this time much cheaper as the widow was anxious to get all the firearms out of her house. The price was so good I just had to buy them.

One was a New Model Blackhawk in .357 and the other was a Single Six. The Blackhawk was in good condition but the .22 had been stored in a humid environment and had some rust. Picked them up for $225 + transfer fees for the pair.

I know, without pictures it didn't happen, so here they are:

The Blackhawk

The Single Six
Old October 10, 2012, 02:54 AM   #24
CajunBass

I've owned a bunch of 22 Revolvers over the years. Rugers, Colts, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, Harrington & Richardson, and probably a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Ruger Single-Six is an outstanding gun. IF you get one, you won't be disapointed.

BUT if you ain't got the money, you ain't got the money. Personally I'd rather have a Heritage that I can shoot NOW, and then work toward getting a Ruger or a Colt later, than to have nothing at all now, and just think, "Gee, I'd sure be having fun if I just had that Ruger I wish I had."

You're just buying a 22 pistol. It's not a life altering decision. Let's say you buy it and don't like it? What's the worst thing that could happen? You're out of a few bucks? And you can get most if not all of it back by selling/trading it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #25
Zhillsauditor

I've had a lot of 22lr revolvers, and there is a lot of value in some of the cheaper weapons. I recently purchased a Rossi 511 for $180 out the door. It has a little bit of pitting, but a polished it out. The trigger was pretty bad, so I replaced the springs and did some minor polishing. Now I have a gun that I have $190 in, that shoots as well as my $450 S&W 63 (and good luck finding one of those for under $500).

All that being said, deals are out there. I am not a ruger fan, but stumbled on a single ten at a shop for $299--and I talked them down so they ate the tax and the background check fee ($5). The gun was in great shape, but had the famous "I broke my finger" ruger heavy springs. A $10 spring pack fixed that issue and now I have a mighty fine looking shooter for about $180 less than they go for new.

EDIT: while I like colt scouts, and have one, they are really not a good bang for the buck IMO. When you could find them regularly for under $300, they might have been a good deal, but prices on them have risen in the past five years. I would not pay more than $300 for one unless it was a full steel peacemaker.