The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

core lock or power point

I am going to buy some bulk .308 bullets for 308 and 30-06. Is there a general consession on accuracy and terminal performance? It one better than the other? I have used a lot of Sierra bullets and they look much better out of the box, but cost nearly twice as much. I will have to test and see if their is a significant difference on paper. I would love to hear from people who have tired either of both.
TIA
Old April 11, 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Rifles differ so much the only way to find out is to try and see.

That said, I have shot a pile of Remington CoreLokt in a variety of calibers and rifles and have always gotten satisfactory results. They have been a good deal for the money.
Old April 11, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3
hoghunting

As Leftover said, all rifles are different. That being said, I have not had any luck with either bullet. You get what you pay for and the Sierra is a better bullet.
Old April 11, 2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Yuriens

Corelokts and corelokt ultras typically give me 1-2 moa groups out of several of my rifles, where as power points are more often 2-3 moa. Handloading custom bullets will typically do much better. Never handloaded corelockts.

Mike
Old April 12, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

The choice mostly depends on what you are doing. If you are looking for the smallest possible groups off a bench, there are probably better bullets than CoreLokts, but they'll cost you. If you are deerhunting or practicing offhand, you'll have to be a lot better shot than I am to see a difference. If you are shooting milsurp with the original sights, premium bullets would be a waste of money.
Old April 13, 2006, 10:35 PM   #6
trooper3385

Yuriens, I was just curious why you said not to use core lokt for reloading. My dad just gave me a Savage model 99 in a .308 and about 4 boxes of remington core lokt ammo. For a lever action with a 4 power scope and the factory ammo, it groups really well at 100 yds. I just got the .308 dies to start reloading for it. Since it was shooting really well with the core lokts, I was going to stick them when I started reloading for it. Plus I found them for about $12 for 150 bullets. I changed my mind at the last minute and bought some Hornady interbonds instead. I've heard some good things about this bullet and thought I would give it a try first and see what the results are. Anyway, I was just wondering why you said not to use them for reloading since I've never reloaded core lokts before.
Old April 13, 2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Yuriens

Sorry trooper, I just meant I have never handloaded corelokts myself. I don't have anything against handloading them. If your rifle groups well with factory corelokts it should do better with handloads after some tinkering. Try the corelokts if you like.

For my money I haven't found a rifle yet that I can't get great groups out of good ole hornady interlocks, and they kill deer just fine. I routinely handload hornady BTSP interlocks in several calibers for several rifles and get 0.5 to 1 MOA without too much tinkering.

Also they are cheap compared to everybody's bonded polymer tipped wonder bullets. Usually around $13-$16/ 100 count depending on caliber.

I have only tried the interbonds in 2 rifles. I found them to be finicky and not group as well as the interlocks. It may be that I have not tried them enough yet.

Mike
Old April 16, 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Swamp_Fox

I used 180 gr PP's to break in some Norma brass for a 300WSM. I was getting 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups using a light load of TU-7000. About 62 gr. if memory serves.
I haven't tried the cor-locs.
Old April 16, 2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Clayfish

I've loaded some very respectable ammo using 165 gr corelokt in my a bolt .308. THe best I've gotten so far is just under 1 moa with r15. There are much better bullets though. The corelokt is a great hunting bullet but not the best for bench loads.