The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Striker1

Fun day with the old Renegade

Took my old TC Renegade out today to sight in the newly installed peep sight. It's been a couple of year since I fired this rifle so I decided to stay at 50 yds. Had to bottom the rear sight elevation out and it still grouped about 4" high.

70 gr Pyrodex behind a .530 rb was pretty fun...100 gr behind the TC maxi's not so much!!!
Old May 30, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

Just curious ?

Quote:
Took my old TC Renegade out today to sight in the newly installed peep sight.
Does your Renegade have the three-hole tang? Also, what kind of peep sight are you using and did you hold a good group? ....

When I want to shoot for fun, I shoot my SideLocks. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 30, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Striker1

Quote:
Doe you Renegade have the three-hole tang? Also, what kind of peep sight are you using and did you hold a good group? ....

Three-hole tang - it does now since I had to have the tang drilled for the peep sight installation...which is a TC.

Groups - Nothing great. I played with 70 gr, 80 gr and 90 gr. Best was about 2.5 inches with 70 gr. Need to work on it some more.
Old May 31, 2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

My suggestion is increase your powder charge when shooting patched R-ball also try a thicker patch either .015-.018. Doing both will help flatten out the ball trajectory's arch some which drops point of impact seen down range on paper.
Did you happen to fire one or two balls down range to check-out your rifles accuracy at the 100 yard mark under its now (4" high) circumstance?
OP you may find your rifle actually near bulls-eye at that further distance in its current behavior. Perhaps with a little left-right movement of your rear peep may indeed prove beneficial at that distance instead of 50 yard targeting. Next time you get the chance to head over to your local practice Range. Shoot the 100 yard distance first without changing a thing just to see how it does at that distance with patched ball.
I myself have a Renegade and found it to be as accurate as any of the others I have available to me in 54 cal. Well with one exception in after thought. I have a 54 cal White Mountain Carbine that couldn't hit a closed barn door at 50 paces. Talk about a useless rifle. But that's a whole different story for another time. Good luck with the Renegade Striker1.

S/S
Old May 31, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Striker1

Quote:
My suggestion is increase your powder charge when shooting patched R-ball also try a thicker patch either .015-.018. Doing both will help flatten out the ball trajectory's arch some which drops point of impact seen down range on paper.
Did you happen to fire one or two balls down range to check-out your rifles accuracy at the 100 yard mark under its now (4" high) circumstance?
OP you may find your rifle actually near bulls-eye at that further distance in its current behavior. Perhaps with a little left-right movement of your rear peep may indeed prove beneficial at that distance instead of 50 yard targeting. Next time you get the chance to head over to your local practice Range. Shoot the 100 yard distance first without changing a thing just to see how it does at that distance with patched ball.
I myself have a Renegade and found it to be as accurate as any of the others I have available to me in 54 cal. Well with one exception in after thought. I have a 54 cal White Mountain Carbine that couldn't hit a closed barn door at 50 paces. Talk about a useless rifle. But that's a whole different story for another time. Good luck with the Renegade Striker1.

S/S
S/S,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about the elevation at this point. First is to get the rifle grouping. Here is what I used:

Hornady .530 RB /.015 patch
Speer .530 RB with both .015 and .018 patches (best results were with .018)

Both loads tried with Pyro RS using 70, 80 and 90 grains.

I started off holding center of the bull on a NRA B8 target which has a 5" bull (I think), and rounds impacted high. I then switched to a 6 o'clock hold and impacted in the bull. Not my preferred aiming method but I could use it if I had to when hunting.

I have shot the rifle at 100 a few years ago with no trouble but that was using the original rear sight which, by the way, if anyone here knows how to remove it, I would like to know.