The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 16, 2002, 01:10 PM   #1
FPrice

Post No. 1000 - Ammo Headstamp Question

Looked at the number of posts I had made recently and saw that i was coming up on number 1,000. I guess that means that I really AM a TFL regular now!

Anyways, to my question. I recently got some M-1 Carbine ammo with the headstamp, "PSD 86". I am sure the 86 refers to a 1986 manufacture date, but who is PSD?

The ammo looks nice, bright and shiny, not sure it had a military crimp on the priner pocket, will have to check again. Does anyone know who made this and have any comments on how it shoots?

Thanks.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old August 16, 2002, 03:25 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Interesting you should ask, Frosty - - -

I have maybe 700 rounds of same headstamp ammo next to my desk, even as I write. Guy from whom I bought it at last Dallas Market Hall Gun Show told me it was Korean Military ammo manufactured by PMC. This came 1080 rounds in what I would call a .50 cal ammo can--Twelve stripper clips per bandoleer.

I don't read Korean, but can sort of recognize the type characters, so I believe that's what it is.

On one side of the can, it shows (in English ):

1080 CAL .30 CARTRIDGES
CARBINE BALL KM1
10 RD CLIPS, BANDOLEERS
LOT PSD87A110-109

Other side shows an approximation of the above, in Korean characters, with the same Arabic numerals.

Top shows
'86 [four Korean characters] -029

Matt and I shot about 120 rounds from two GI carbines a couple of weekends back. Matt, with his younger eyes and steadier nerves, turned in one sub-three-inch group with my Winchester, which has a better trigger than his. I am well pleased with the ammo and the carbines. I will probably try to buy some more of the ammo.

Congrats on your One Thousandth Post, amigo!

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 16, 2002, 07:51 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

While I don't have anything that specifically confirms this, I'm betting that it's from Poonsang Arsenal.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 21, 2002, 07:19 PM   #4
FPrice

Johnny and Mike...

Thanks for the info. I apologize for not getting back to you guys earlier, but things have been busy around here.

My ammo does have those markings you describe, Johnny. It looks like we have ammo from the same lot. I had thought it might be the same stuff CMP was selling, but I can;t find out for sure. IF I am lucky, Imight get some of it out to the range this weekend and see how it works.

Old August 22, 2002, 07:29 AM   #5
johnwill

I have a case of the stuff that CMP was selling, and mine is Lake City 72 headstamp, I don't think what you have is CMP ammo...
Old August 22, 2002, 08:24 PM   #6
FPrice

johnwill...

It would seem that you are correct. I kind of wondered because of the packaging (bandoleers in an ammo can) but I guess that is a standard method of packaging.

As long as it has decent accuracy I suppose it doesn't matter who made it.