The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2000, 09:22 AM   #1
high_caliber

I purchased some surplus powder, labeled as SR 7970, recently. The vendor claimed it had characteristics similar to Bullseye. Has anyone tried this powder? Can you provide more information about it?
Thanks
Old October 29, 2000, 01:35 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

high_caliber--

Was this powder in some government or manufacturer's container, or in a milk jug with s hand written label?

The following is a rehash of my reply to another, earlier, posting---

Sorry, I can't find anything about SR7970 powder in any of five loading manuals. Might try someone with extensive knowledge of surplus military powders. I say this only because someone else asked about 7970 as a surplus powder, saying dealer claims it has characteristics similar to Bullseye.

I have an idea how I would proceed if GIVEN a quantity of SR7970 powder, but cannot, in good conscience, suggest it to someone else without having tried it myself.
I just can't picture entrusting my eyesight and physical beauty to an unidentified substance sold me by a total stranger at a gun show. And, even if you find information you trust, have you SEEN the original container from which this stuff came?

Please--either dispose of this stuff safely, or proceed with extreme caution.

Best,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---