The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Reloader010

Hawk 982

I was so totally impressed with the Pardner Protector that I bought for my father that I turned around and bought a Hawk 982. Hadn't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I will if the weather holds this evening.

Somewhere I read that someone suggested putting threadlock on the screws that hold the Ghost Ring Sights on. What strength do I use? Light, medium, or heavy strength threadlock?

Also, it apparently does not come with sling hook-ups. It has the base in the stock. What type of screw goes in there? All the ones I'm seeing go into wooden stocks, and this is synthetic.

Thanks for your help!
Old September 22, 2010, 01:53 PM   #2
jmortimer

Good for you - I want one too. I'd use the "Blue" (medium) thread locker.
Old September 22, 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If these guns are as tuff as previous posts suggest, go RED loc-tite and if you need to remove, just heat parts in oven to 250* have a wet rag in the freezer, pull hot parts from oven and take frozen rag to gun parts and sight screws...

Brent
Old September 22, 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
oneounceload

Make sure you give it a GOOD cleaning before using
Old September 22, 2010, 02:23 PM   #5
jmortimer

One other thing, MAX100 changes out the screws for hex-headed screws.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Reloader010

Frustration

I took it out for first test fire this evening, and the shells are catching on something coming out of the magazine. It causes the action to jam; however, I can free the shell will my fingernail, and it'll pop out when I do. I've compared it against the Pardner Protector and my 870, and I can't see anything that's any different. It doesn't do it everytime, but enough to have me concerned. Also, the shells don't go into the magazine as freely as they do in the Protector and the 870. Any ideas?

I changed the springs between the Protector and the 982; however, the problem persisted.

I have an email into IAC Customer Service.

On a brighter note, I put 58 of 60 pellets (5 Magnum 00 buck) on the paper at the twenty-five yards along with five slugs.

Nice shotgun; I just need to get this taken care of.
Old September 23, 2010, 04:04 PM   #7
SoilworK777

How often does it do this?
Old September 24, 2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Reloader010

Off to their gunsmith

Initially the rounds did not hang up. Near the end of the 35 rounds, it was hanging up on almost all. This was a combination of Winchester AA, Winchester Slugs, and Remington Magnum buckshot. I tried empty hulls at home and it did the same thing.

I spoke to their gun repair shop yesterday and am going to be sending it to them today as per their instructions.

I can't wait for it to return repaired so I put more shells through it. It was patterning great but I was a bit low on the slugs. That was more me getting used to the ghost ring sights, I think.

I hate this waiting.
Old September 24, 2010, 08:26 AM   #9
jmortimer

Please report back on the customer service/repair as I see few problems with these guns it would be nice to know what happens when there is a problem.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Kmar40

At least you saved $40 off the price of a real gun.

Love those Chinese products.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:13 AM   #11
jmortimer

It would cost $300.00 to $400.00 more to get a Remington or Mossberg with Ghost Ring Sights and similar quality. If you are ignorant then you can make idiotic comments. A single barrel for a Remington or Mossberg with GRS will cost as much as the Hawk. Want to buy a gun with less quality and lesser fit and finish get a new production Remington Express. Want to buy a gun with more problems, jamming, and failures get a new production Remington Express. The Remington/H&R Pardner Pump is exactly the same as the Hawk 982 except the receiver and we all know how good the Pardner Pumps are. Here are nine reviews from law enforcement officers who own Hawk Industries/Remington/H&R Pardner Pumps from Police Link http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector Obviously a great gun but what do LEOs know.
Here is MAX100's review of the Hawk 982 and the Pardner from Calguns
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=82794
Here is most esxtensive review form Gunco.net Forum which is linked and detailed to say the least http://www.gunco.net/forums/f108/rem...-review-49402/
Bottom line the ignorant will make idiotic comments but those of use who are actual owners know what the facts are and the facts hurt the ignorant.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Reloader010

Off for repair

I sent the 982 off today to their gunsmith in Oregon via FedEx. I had intended to ship it off last Friday before I left town; however, the UPS Store clerk told me that I had to go to their hub to ship it. Next to the post office where the clerk told me that I needed an FFL to ship a firearm in the mail. Today I went to the Fedex hub a few miles away. After a few minutes of paperwork, they loaded the 982 for the trip.

Took the Pardner Protector to my parents last weekend. They love it! Between my father, my adult sister, and myself, we pumped almost 75 rounds through it. The Protector performed like a champ. I had brought my 870 along just in case there were any issues, but that was not necessary. When I got back home, I loaded up the 870 and got to missing the Protector. It was mine for almost a month!

Anyhow, now I'm waiting for my 982 to get back all fixed up and ready to go.
Old October 5, 2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Reloader010

On Its Way Back To Me

It is on the way back to me!

Yesterday afternoon I called the gunsmith in Oregon who is doing the warranty work. He advised that they put it in the UPS system yesterday morning. He read off the list of things they checked, which was standard, while fixing the magazine feed problem.

Hopefully I'll have it back in time to go out this weekend and do some serious test firing.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:51 AM   #14
jmortimer

I know I would not want to have all thwe trouble you went through but when you get it back having a gunsmith tune-up your Hawk 982/870 Clone should be a very good thing. In a way, I wish I had to do the same with my Hawk/Remington/Marlin/H&R Pardner Protector but like everyone I have had no problems with my $200.00 870 Clone. It sounds like you have had good customer service so far especially if the gunsmith is a good one.
Old October 8, 2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Reloader010

Out for Delivery

The UPS website advises that my package is "Out For Delivery." I'm leaving straight after work since I usually get home a few minutes before UPS comes through our neighborhood. Just in case, I left a note on the door to go to my neighbor for his signature.

I'm off to the range tomorrow to try slugs and 00 buckshot. Our weather is supposed to be in the 80s and clear (not many nice days left before bad weather sets in).

Going to be a long day!
Old October 9, 2010, 12:31 PM   #16
Reloader010

Out to the range today

In one word:

SWEET!!!!!!

It functioned like a champ. Approximately 75 rounds, and not one issue!!!!

Now to get a sling for it and to replace those screws on the GRS.