The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 3, 2005, 02:57 PM   #1
calvinr

revolver suggestions

Good Afternoon,
I'm new to the forum and would like some suggestions. I'm getting ready to teach my wife how to shoot and am looking for a good revolver to teach her on and to serve as a bedside gun. She is 5'2" and weighs 105. Not only that but I would also like to get a good concealed carry revolver for myself. I've got $750 total for both. The bedside gun will have a lot of rounds put through it. The concealed gun about 200 rounds a year. I want the concealed gun to be able to be carried in all types of clothing including shorts. I would prefer new in both.
Old July 3, 2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Jkwas

If you're looking for new,

And you want two revolvers for that kind of money, Look at the Taurus line.
But don't rule out good second hand revolvers, such as Ruger or Smith and wesson. My advice would be to start at a reputable gunshop that services and stands behind what they sell. Then you can't go wrong.
In terms of caliber, stick with the same for both guns. 357/38spl.
My wife has no problem shooting this caliber. Just so you get the practice, and you know they are both reliable, put 500 rounds thru each gun to be sure, and keep em clean.
Old July 3, 2005, 03:15 PM   #3
CarbineCaleb

For the combo wife/nightstand revolver, I'd suggest a 4" barrel, medium framed double action revolver, chambered in either .38Special (with +P abilities) or .357Magnum which can shoot everything the .38Special can.

That size is not too big/heavy, and yet allows a healthy sight radius and soaks up a fair amount of the recoil. You can start with .38Special light target loads, and work up to .38Special +P with heavier bullets.

Personally, I like the S&W revolvers. They won't fit in your price limit, unless you buy used, though. You might be able to find a newer 686P used for $375. Here is one on gunbroker, said to be in 99% condition, with a 4" barrel, 7 shot cylinder:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=34060144

An older model S&W 66, still a fine revolver, a 6-shot, can be found for $375 or under more easily used in fine condition.

Ruger or Taurus revolvers can be had new for around this price, and both make models of this general size/type.
Old July 3, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
ron8903

better check on a couple used rugers or older S&W"s
Old July 3, 2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Bullrock

I agree with JKwas, you're not going to find two new for $750...In the used market you can find good buys, that may not look too good, but if they haven't had the hell shot out of them, it's fun to fix them up. Here are two that I recently purchased, and worked on.
This is a Ruger Service Six, 38Spl; 4"Brl that I purchased for $179.00 about a month ago. The grips are from Eagle, $69.00
This is a SW 66, .357/.38Spl that I bought last week for $295.00 I'm in the process of re-doing the finish, and changing the grips..The new grips will cost $89.00 for what I want...

Good Luck...

Last edited by Bullrock; July 3, 2005 at 03:36 PM. Reason: error
Old July 3, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Sir William

I suggest www.jgsales.com They have some deals on 38 Special revolvers.
Old July 3, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7
sm

calvinr, Welcome to TFL!

I am going to suggest you let the wifey pick her own gun. I would find a place that rents, and/ or call everyone you know with a wheelgun. Let HER shoot and decide for herself.

I am a BIG proponent of the OLDer S&W K frames like the model 10, 64...dedicated .38spls that allow one to learn correct basics using target loads, and for defense use heavier loads. No gun locks, better metallurgy, craftmanship. Just find the stocks that fit her hands is all.

If she liked one of these, IMO/ IME these are great , learning to shoot a Revo transitions to other platforms if later she/ both of you chose to.

Let her pick with assistance of another Lady with experience, lady instructor would be ideal. Ladies make great students, with another lady to assist in selection, and instructions to shoot...sometimes a lady needs a lady to explain and share concerns with.

Not to mention YOU won't get yelled at - and it can' t be your fault...don't matter what the "what" is - you are covered on this one.
Old July 3, 2005, 11:15 PM   #8
XavierBreath

I, too, am going to advocate the used S&W K frame, Model 10 or Model 64, for a bedside gun. You should be able to find the M10 for under $200, the M64 for under $250. The fixed sights mean less fussing and mnore durability, the .38spl caliber will likely be what is placed in the gun anyway. In a good, well placed hollow point it will do the job.

For carry, a used hammerless or shrouded hammer S&W J frame is the trick. Again, we are talking .38spl. Try to get a stainless gun for carry, as it will need less attention. Expect to pay around $250.

Use the money you save on professional training and ammo. If you can't hit your target, the guns are useless.

Here's Jim March's Revolver Checkout if you are skiddish about buying used.
Old July 4, 2005, 01:31 AM   #9
AustinMike

My wife likes the S&W 642 with the large rubber Crimson Trace grips. It's a good carry gun or beside gun.
Old July 4, 2005, 04:40 AM   #10
Lloyd Smale

another vote for a used K frame you can pick up a nice 15 smith for about $200 if you look around they are accurate and if you stick to a 4 inch gun can be consealed. You wont find a more fun gun for the money then a K frame .38 Be careful buying a gun much smaller for your wife as when you get into the snubbys there hard to shoot for an experienced shooter and a new shooter would get discouraged fast.
Old July 4, 2005, 12:03 PM   #11
gak

Carbine and Xavier have good ideas. Bedside: 4", .38 sp S&W, half-lug'd, gently used K frame S&W. Can't go wrong.
Concealed/Carry (and this is going to cause controversy since it's a different caliber..but you said "concealed" incl shorts and she is small in stature to begin with, ruling out some .38s even): S&W 431 or 432 (one hammered one not) .32 H&R Mag. These are the less expensive "black" finish alloy vs the mucho more expensive (albeit lighter, but don't need it that light) titanium version. Hammerless one is about as concealable a centerfire arm as they come (and carries a full 6 shots unlike similar J-framed .38s). Good pow in a small package, very manageable recoil (even in short barrel'd and non-ported which these are). For her purposes, interchangeablility of same caliber not that important. Concealed carry is (hopefully) going to go year-round un-shot, except for the 200 rds you mention--and a good thing that'd have the less amount of shooting 'cause .32M's run higher $. You can do both these (bedside and CC) options for the budget you state. Read some relatively recent threads on the .32M to hear some very good things about these sweet CC revolvers, including some LEOs I believe as personal/off-duty back-up or primary CCW.

Last edited by gak; July 4, 2005 at 12:05 PM. Reason: clarify
Old July 4, 2005, 04:23 PM   #12
gak

new Rossi 971

Rossi (now owned by Taurus/Braztech) has reintroduced their "just right" sized 971 .357 6-shot 4" with full underlug, in what seemed to me to be sort of a J-1/2 frame but technically probably a K? Only available now in blue (the 972 is stainless but is 6")--likely Taurus' way of "forcing" you into the more expensive Taurus brand for stainless 4 inchers. Nevertheless, if it's the same quality as the Rossi of yore (which was fine to me--amazingly nice gun when it was "just" Rossi, but supposedly in the move to Taurus Rossi's QC is supposed to be even better?)-though the blue'd version is not going to win any beauty contests--judging by the sample I saw--a great value in a new 4" 357/38. Obviously geared to .357s, can shoot hot .38s all day long.
Old July 4, 2005, 07:12 PM   #13
TX_RGR

Hooray, it's Captain Obvious!!!

I would suggest that whatever you buy for the wife, get her to handle and even shoot it first if possible. The reasons are legion. As a rule of thumb, the most powerful thing she can handle easily. CCW? Wow, it's wide open. How much of a masochist are you? There's guys that talk of carrying 3 lbs. of gun on them every day all day long. Others, like me, don't want to be bothered by anything over 20 oz. or so. If you want the truth, women have an advantage over men. They can stash theirs in a purse and have it nearby. My .02 would be to give the weight equal consideration to size and caliber. Many will tell you no less than .38 special. I personally prefer no less than .357 magnum, though I am guilty of packing a .380 now and then. Most important thing really is proficiency. If you practice enough and are comfortable enough to put 5 or 6 rounds on target in a timely manner under stress, you should be fine. . Find and handle a few that appeal to you. Once you narrow it down, theres plenty of info here on just about every manufacturer. GL

TX
Old July 5, 2005, 12:30 AM   #14
bjmanersr

S&w

Pick you up a good used S&W 10 or 14 or 15 or any like gun in 4 in..They will shoot thousands and still keep on ticking.Then buy you a good 36 in 2 in.also by S&W or one of the variations.Get both in 38 Special and you can share amo with the wife.
Old July 5, 2005, 12:44 AM   #15
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...Protection.htm

Best.
Old July 5, 2005, 07:11 AM   #16
Peter M. Eick

I was teaching a friend how to shoot revolvers and she (maybe 5 2 and 120) really really liked my big 38/44 Outdoorsman. It is so big and heavy that 38 specials are like pops out of it. She can hit the target every time and is very very pleased with herself shooting it. She does not like my little Diamondback 4" or my 5" heavy duties because of the recoil differences.

Therefore, I would recommend a used 38/44 outdoorsman or maybe a 6.5' pre-28/pre-27 as a night table gun and a little detective special for carry. Both can be had used for under 750 in decent shape. Also if you get an outdoorsman/pre-28/pre-27 (ie a big S&W N frame 38/357) you will have a hard time wearing it out with 38 specials.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:31 AM   #17
Boarhunter

I picked up a new blued steel frame DAO Taurus 9mm snubby revolver (m905) last week for under $250, and it shoots fine. It would make a great concealed carry gun, particularly with +p loads, and is a great shooter with standard loads. Get two, and you still have plenty of cash left for ammo, which in this military caliber is about as reasonably priced as it gets.

Boarhunter
Old July 6, 2005, 07:53 AM   #18
calvinr

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions! You all are a big help. I'll let you know what I end up getting.
Old July 6, 2005, 08:25 AM   #19
Mastrogiacomo

If you don't mind one more input, I'm the same size as your wife but have some weight on me - not that much though. I use a 4" 686 which can be had cheaply used. I love mine. It's a great teaching tool as the weight really absorbs the recoil and I liked it so much, I bought a snubby version of the same gun. If she's not carrying: the model 10 4" which is also available used in abundence. The Lady Smith 65, the S&W 64 4," the GP100 3 or 4." All will suit her fine. Remember, I'm a small person and if I can handle a 686, so can she (use .38s).

For you, I love my model 60 2" and will be getting the 649 bodyguard which allows me to have a snag free gun without giving up the single/double action choice. For something lighter, look for a Detective Special. I have one of those and absolutely love it.

Laura