The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2001, 02:14 PM   #1
lunde

I received my Mossberg 590A1 barrel back from Vang Comp Systems (barrel ports, back-boring of the barrel, and lengthening of the forcing cone) last Friday, and took it to the range on Sunday. I didn't have a chance to fire this shotgun before sending the barrel to Vang Comp Systems, and it has been about 10 years since firing a shotgun.

Anyway, I brought 50 rounds of Federal "00" 2 3/4" buckshot to a local range to try it out. The range happened to have a restriction whereby I could only use their 40-yard Tin can range with buckshot loads, so I wasn't able to pattern it. Whatever I shot at was hit, and often times flew into the air. (It has the factory Ghostring sights.) I will be going to an indoor range tomorrow, and because they will let me use paper targets, I will be able to pattern it from as close as 7 yards.

Needless to say, my shoulder is a bit sore this morning. But it's a good "sore" feeling.
Old February 5, 2001, 03:17 PM   #2
JohnO

Please let us know how it does on paper. I just told my wife last night to get me one of these for our aniversary. I don't care much for flowers.
Old February 5, 2001, 03:22 PM   #3
lunde

My estimate for how it patterns at 40 yards is about 12 inches, based on my hits at the range. I'll post more details once I try it on paper tomorrow. I'm glad that I had the VCS work done to the barrel. My 13-year-old son also tried it out, firing about 10 rounds of the same loads.
Old February 5, 2001, 03:29 PM   #4
jnixp

I just orderd one of the Vang 590A1's that Vang is offering online for $595.00.I have a 870 and 11-87 that Vang built.I was pleasantly surprised to see that both my Remingtons shoot the Sellier & Belloit ) buck shot almost as well as the Federal tactical buck.That S&B can be found for as cheap as $75.00/250rds.Hans told me that Hornady is developing an awesome low-recoil slug that he thinks kicks less that the other brands.He says it should be available in March or April.
Old February 5, 2001, 03:34 PM   #5
lunde

I received Cabelas' catalog the other day, and noticed their special on the S&B 00 buckshot. 200 rounds for $65 or so, with an ammo can thrown in. I bought 200 rounds last week to try it out, and it'll arrive tomorrow.
Old February 6, 2001, 01:25 AM   #6
DML

Let us know how the S&B buckshot works. When it first came on the market, the performance was dismal. An 11-87 was sent back to us because it wouldn't cycle with Federal Tactical (H-132).I found the magazine tube so gunked up with powder residue that I could hardly open the action with the slide. After cleaning the crud off it worked slick. I found out that that last ammo shot before the problem started was S&B slugs.