The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 8, 2012, 04:59 AM   #1
kst8fan

Savage vs CZ

Looking for a lightweight bolt action 223 and have narrowed it down to a couple rifles. The first one being a Savage 11/111 lightweight hunter 223. I have owned many Savages and they have all been great shooters so I'm leaning more toward this one. However, I hear great things about the CZ 527 American 223. I like the idea of the single set trigger on the CZ so I'm kinda torn here. Price wise the Savage will be more expensive but I don't mind if it is truly a better rifle. Any help would be appreciated. Looking to buy in a couple weeks. Would be used at the range and some hunting. Thanks

Last edited by kst8fan; November 8, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
geetarman

I don't know about the Savage. I have the CZ452 Trainer. Great shooter.

Just had the action bedded and a trigger job done. I am well pleased with the gun. Will have it out at the range again in the morning to shoot groups at 100 yards.

Hope there won't be a lot of wind

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 8, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Rimfire5

I have a CZ 527 Vamint barrel with the Kevlar stock and a 1:9 twist barrel and includes a set trigger.
It is very accurate with bullet weights from 40 grains to 69 grains.
By very accurate I mean averaging 0.379 for 260 groups of its best 25 hand loads and .336 for its best 10 hand loads. Mine has over 3000 rounds through it and still is shooting as accurately as it did when I opened the box.

Two of my range buddies each have a Savage 10 FCP-K with Accu-stock and Accu-trigger and also with the heavy barrel. They were slightly cheaper than the CZ Varmint (about $100).

They two are very accurate averaging 0.388 for their top 25 hand loads and 0.328 for their top 10 hand loads. Their rifles are still pretty new so they haven't stretched the envelope with the wide range of bullet weights as much as I have, but they shoot just as well as the CZ in my opinion.

All three rifles were accurate out of the box and none of us have modified anything. They just shot lights out from the first group and seem to have gotten better with age.

Based upon our experience, I recommentd that you buy either the CZ or the Law Enforcement model of the Savage, which ever you prefer, and I think you'll be happy with either of them.

By the way, all three of us also have a Savage 10 FP and 10 FCP-K in .308 and they also shoot really well also, so what you have heard about Savage accuracy seems to be true.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Willie D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the non-varmint 527s in .223 have a slow twist which might not be great if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

The Lux 527 models have iron sights if that's your thing.

I really like CZs but if I was choosing between the 527 American (the one most like the Savage Lightweight Hunter) and the Savage I'd go for the Savage just because of the ability to shoot more bullet weights.

If I wanted irons or a heavier barrel I might go for the CZ Lux or Varmint.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
taylorce1

Buy the CZ, it should be sub MOA if you have good ammunition and are pulling the trigger well. One thing that you'll probably find is that the CZ is IMO put together better than any Savage. Don't get me wrong I use, and appreciate Savage rifles, but there is just more attention in the fit and finish of a CZ that you don't get out of a Savage.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Willie D

Looking at CZ's website it appears that I was correct: the Varmint models have a 1:9 twist while the other 527s are 1:12 so they probably won't stabilize bullets heavier than 55gr very well.

Ordinarily I'd agree that CZ has a better finish but I think the Lightweight Hunter is one of Savage's premium models and going by pictures looks pretty nice.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:44 AM   #7
cw308

CZ site

Looking for web site for CZ go to rimfirecentral.com cz/brono ask your question there, thats a great CZ sight,not only 22's. Seems most of them only buy CZ's.Hope I helped Chris
Old November 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Dr. A

I have both, and I would go with a CZ any day. I have a new Savage 308, and an older 223, but the 527 CZ has me thinking I need one of those with every cartridge. They shoot a 55 gr. bullet (and 60gr), just fine with the 1 to 12 twist. At least mine does. The 204 is something you have to see to believe! Its my new fav. Don't shoot it at a 40 yard coyote if you want to keep anything...