The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1
ashoob

Loctite Titen for Screws

So everyone recommends Loctite blue for tightening screws on their firearms, but does Loctite Titen for Screws work too? I can't find any mention of it in any of the forums, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience for it.

The product can be found at:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...ws-103713.aspx

It says the screws can be removed by hand, should I try it? I don't want to accidentally super glue my screws to my gun.
Old February 3, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2
SmokinTom

Stick with the Loctite blue and you don`t have to worry about it at all.
Old February 3, 2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Stick with the Loctite blue and you don`t have to worry about it at all.
I'll second that. The blue works fine. Just do not use the red on gun screws.
Old February 3, 2008, 07:02 AM   #4
45Dave

Blue or purple

I use quite a bit of loctite threadlocker in my profession, blue is called service removable for screws 1/8th of an inch and larger. For screws smaller than 1/8th of an inch they make a purple loctite. All you need is a small coating on half the diameter of your screw, most people use too much (yep folks we even had a loctite rep come into the shop and gives us a demo and class on some of there products so that is straight from there rep). Your fears of supergluing the screws in is a good one, they do make different locking grades that do not come out unless you apply heat and break the product down.
I do not know about the product you mentioned, stick with the loctite brand and you will not go wrong.
Oh..trivia..Loctite is a plastic like stuff that becomes hard with the lack of oxygen. All you need is a small coating to fill the gaps in the threads vs thread gaps that that is why it is a substitute for lock washers.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5
brickeyee

"Oh..trivia..Loctite is a plastic like stuff that becomes hard with the lack of oxygen. All you need is a small coating to fill the gaps in the threads vs thread gaps that that is why it is a substitute for lock washers."

Anaerobic adhesive.

DO NOT squeeze the air out of the bottle and then cap it.
Old February 3, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
45Dave

You got it

You got it Brick, like anaerobic bacteria that thrive in low to no oxygen conditions. That red bottle they use, specially developed bottle to let oxygen enter which is why it feels sticky or sweats after a time. A few guys found out the hard way when they tried transfered some into a small bottle to fit in there tool box floor box. They ended up with lumps of plastic in a while.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
mcole

a light "swipe" along one side of the screw with clear nail polish works very well; and easy to "break loose" and remove the screw or nut. mcole
Old February 4, 2008, 12:20 PM   #8
DMK

Quote:
That red bottle they use, specially developed bottle to let oxygen enter which is why it feels sticky or sweats after a time.
Huh. And here I thought my bottle was leaking or getting squashed.
Old February 5, 2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Martyn4802

The correct Loctite product to use for holding gun screws is Loctite Blue.

Martyn
Old February 5, 2008, 09:34 AM   #10
brickeyee

"A few guys found out the hard way when they tried transfered some into a small bottle to fit in there tool box floor box. They ended up with lumps of plastic in a while."

We had a number of assembly workers squeeze the 'excess' air out of the bottles, thinking the stuff was a solvent release type adhesive.

Enough oxygen remained to prevent a 100% solid mass, but a lot of wasted material before an IE figured out the problem.