The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1
bwheasler

Remington Accutip

Anybody tried the new Remington Accutip Sabot slug. I've been using the cooper solids for years and have been very pleased, other than the price. Which is fine for hunting, but I think it reduces practice just by sheer cost and would effect hunting accuracy. The core-lokt slug is top notch but this new slug looks amazing.
Old February 5, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
T.A.Sharps

I would be supprised if many have worked up the balls to buy this new sabot round just to test it.

I've tried the Win XP3 that has a similar tip, and a similar price, they performed horribly and I wasted $40 for that.

I'm bit on Sabot shotguns, but I am also poor, not a good combo. I would not spend the money on this until I heard more than a few things positive about it.

If you have the money, do it. If not stick with what is working right now until you can get some. To me the round looks more like a COOL factor bullet,
Like they count on you to think...

"Oh look at that tip! It must shoot like a Sniper!"

If you want something that is more proven, try Hastings, I have heard lots of good things, however have not got any yet because I would have to mail order it.

If you haven't sighted in yet, Hornady SST, and Win Partition Gold 385gr seem to give good results a lot. Hornady is about $10 cheaper.
Old February 5, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
T.A.Sharps

A couple links...

This is a sabot slug accuracy dedicated shooter group.
http://www.slugshooter.com/

This is Hastings.
http://www.hastingsammunition.com/
Old February 5, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be trying a couple boxes before next deer season. If it's accurate I'll use it where I don't have long shot opportunities. For long shots the ballistics of the Core-Lokt Ultra are too good to change over.