The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 26, 2005, 02:30 AM   #1
jimpeel

How easy is this to do?

I have a guy on a board who states he can convert an AR-15 to full-auto in two minutes using a "common tool".

How easy is it to convert an AR-15 to full auto?

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 26, 2005, 02:36 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

Illegal to boot

No matter how cool it might sound, if you haven't got the liscense to have a fully automatic machine gun, it can cost you years in prison and a stout fine to make it shoot in that capacity. I would strongly urge you to be very careful of what you try to do to your gun.
Old November 26, 2005, 02:58 AM   #3
jimpeel

I don't own one, don't want one, and I know the laws. This is a discussion at another board.

Here is the thread http://groups.msn.com/WhatsNews/news...49223275576132

I say that it is not easy and the Libs there think it is simple and usual behavior.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 26, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The anti-gun crowd and press also think that because a .50 BMG projectile is still lethal at 2000 yards, it means you can aim and hit someone intentionally at that range with one. They not only exhibit total ignorance of shooting and its equipment, they intentionally twist terminology to frontload and try to predetermine the outcome of the debate, as when they hijacked the term "assault rifle" to apply to guns that were no such thing. They want to sensationalize and panic people on the subject of firearms. Their's is an emotional argument and not a rational one and I have found there is no point in attempting to correct their thinking. They don't want to be confused with facts, and will continue regurgitating old lies and fabricated statistics long after they have been corrected.

Nick
Old November 26, 2005, 02:37 PM   #5
hIPSHOT33

It's not hard to make a semi auto full auto any fool can do it .The question is why in the heck would he do it . you can't hit a darn thing after the first round .And if the way he is talking about is what i'm thinking ,you can't stop the gun until the mag. is empty.
Old November 26, 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
craigntx

an uzi'd be better f/a
more controllable
Old November 26, 2005, 05:07 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

Glad to hear that Jim

I am glad to hear you weren't actually interested in doing it Jim. It is a simple parts swap or you can do some machining on the part. Either way, you are wasting your time trying to explain it to an idiot. I don't even try to explain anything to them anymore. Suffice it to say that most folks have no idea of what makes one perform in the full auto mode. The average joe isn't a criminal to begin with and only a criminal would turn one to full auto without the proper liscense.

I don't worry about the average Joe, I do worry about the criminals though and I would just tell the guy to do it and then let you know about it when he is finished. Ask him to video himself and post it for you. Then turn him in and collect the reward money for his ignorance.