The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1
deadeyedick

Primers for 44 Mag Loads

Hi Everyone!

First let me say thanks for all your great advice, it is much appreciated. I recently received a bunch of primers. There are Remington 2 1/2, Federal 150 LP and CCI 350. I reload 44 mag and have seen the call for different primers in different load data. My question is does it matter which primer to use? Should you use a certain primer with a certain powder or does it only matter that they are for a large pistol or magnum?
I have heard good and bad about all of the above. Please set the story straight.

Thanks!!!!!
Old October 22, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Edward429451

The straight of the story is...Which one works best in your gun? And if you've worked up a load with a certain (anything) primer, and then switch to a different one, reduce the load and work it back up.

I started with CCI's and gravitated through WW and finally to Federal primers, fwiw.
Old October 24, 2004, 05:48 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

UseEmAllBoy

I have found Federal primers easier for 'tuned' revolvers to ignite.

My most accurate loads currently use CCI.

I KNOW that primers make a difference, both in pressure and accuracy, so I experiment.

I use magnum primers for certain loads that normally do not call for them, but I make sure I am well below maximum charge weight.

When using maximum-load 'ball' powders (W296 / AA9 / H110 / etc) I use magnum primers.