The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 16, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1
ohioleadslinger

Applebees in Ohio posting no guns! Need your activism ASAP

I'll be posting this on Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Defensive carry, The Firing Line and XD Talk.

Please feel free to copy and cross-post this to your favorite gun forums:

On September 30th 2011 SB17 took effect in Ohio, allowing concealed carry in places that serve alcohol providing the carrier doesn't consume or isn't under the influence when entering.

Applebees franchise restaurants under either "Thomas and King or Apple American" (unsure as Applebees has disabled franchise search) have decided to post their establishments in Ohio. Their other franchise restaurants in other states that allow carry have not posted.

In correspondence with them (Thomas and King) they are saying,

"Our company did take the time to review our policy and we have decided to maintain our existing policy with respect to firearms in all states in which we operate. We find that maintaining consistent policies makes it easier for us to focus on great food and service."

This response is clearly disingenuous!

Apple American or Thomas and King do not post in other states they have franchises and corporate doesn't in Michigan, Georgia, Florida, West Virgina, Indiana, Virginia, Kentucky, Texas, Tennessee and Delaware. I'm sure there are other states with restaurant carry but these are the current list we have compiled.

Having reciprocity is a huge boon to concealed carry, so following that, using the power of concealed carrier unity as a great tool, please show your displeasure with Applebees, no matter what state you live in, by contacting them and expressing that you do not care for the discrimination between state franchises and you will withhold your patronage until it is resolved. Please put pressure on corporate to tell their franchises to follow corporate policy which is to follow state law. That would be allowing licensed carry providing one doesn't drink as in the case of Ohio law.

Why would you want to go to a state and have to worry that you can't carry in a restaurant that you visit in your home state? Force Applebees corporate to get Apple American or Thomas and King to take down the signs in Ohio.

We did a similar protest with Krogers with great effect just a few short months ago. Please make this a win for law-abiding concealed carry across the United States.

Guest relations toll-free
1-888-59APPLE
(1-888-592-7753)
Email client contact form here
http://www.applebees.com/about-us/contact-us
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member

Last edited by ohioleadslinger; October 17, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old October 17, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
ohioleadslinger

Update:

It appears Applebees has taken down the Franchise search function on their site. The heat must be getting to them. Also it appears that applebees franchisee's Thomas and King may be posting . In any event I would include both in any complaints and let Applebees sort out the offenders. The idea still stands that corporate will pressure them whomever the offenders are.

Thanks all!
Old October 17, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Chaz88

I have already boycotted Applebees because of bad food. I would be happy to add another reason to my list.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 17, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Stressfire

Quote:
I have already boycotted Applebees because of bad food.
You too, huh? I only ever went for the potato twisters & Blue Moon on tap.

However, I was pretty sure something like this would happen following the passage of the restaurant carry bill. Restauranteurs will simply hang signs in order to continue the status quo of gunless alcohol serving establishments.

No gun signage carrying the weight of law in Ohio makes SB17 an entirely hollow victory IMO.
Old October 17, 2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Patriot86

The Applebee's by me is a little hit or miss on service but the food is usually pretty good, that being said even though this does not effect me directly here in Illinois as a sign of solidarity (take that unions!) I am done with Applebees until they change this policy. Gun owners all over the nation should follow suit.
Old October 17, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Stressfire

Quote:
Gun owners all over the nation should follow suit.
Question is, are there enough to make a difference?

No, not having a gun 24/7 is not the worst thing in the world, and I have other stuff for areas where I must go, that I cannot carry.

However, due to no gun signs, I go to Aldis instead of Save-a-Lot, buy my beer at gas stations instead of liquor stores that still display signs, and go out to eat at restaurants that don't display signs.

I usually don't carry when I go out to eat as I end up having a beer or 2 anyways, its more the principle involved.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Carry_24/7

Stressfire; that's my attitude. If sometimes for nothing more than convenience, I tend to more frequently visit places where I can carry legally rather than leave a gun in the truck.

I do believe we're a minority, but yet still we have purchasing power. A little bit here, a little bit there.....
Old October 17, 2011, 06:49 PM   #8
RamItOne

So in Ohio they don't need a specific sign to not allow carry in an establishment. In Texas they'd have to post the statute or bill (30.06) otherwise the no guns allowed signs were just decoration.

Why go to Applebee's when there's so many other places I can get crappy American variety foods?
Old October 17, 2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Coyote WT

I can take or leave Applebees as far as the food is concerned. In WA the only part of the store you can't take a fire arm is the bar but that's the same in ANY over 21 establishment in WA. Bottom line is if I can't take my gun into one business then either their competitor gets my $ or I leave my pistol (ammo always comes with me) in the car.
Springfield XD .45
Old October 17, 2011, 07:44 PM   #10
ohioleadslinger

Its more about this franchise saying they blanket post all their places. They do not. They have places in KY and IN and they do not post there. It is more about the lying to CC holders in Ohio. Whether or not you like to eat there or not its about respecting the law. Corporate says they follow state law. This franchise is flouting that. All we want them to do is respect state law.

A call or email stating that one would no patronize all restaurants everywhere till they fall in line would be appreciated..
Old October 17, 2011, 07:47 PM   #11
ohioleadslinger

Quote:
Why go to Applebee's when there's so many other places I can get crappy American variety foods?
It is more about sending a message to any place that posts. If we get this one to change their minds the next is less likely to discriminate knowing the whole will stand together.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
ohioleadslinger

Please email or call. Withholding business without a complaint will not likely be perceived by corporate.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
rookie5.56

a large number of apple bee's in ohio have posted this sign for two years now I can think of 2 in columbus and 1 in lancaster. so this is nothing new to them they have the right to refuse service. as well as logans and texas longhorn and max & ermas have been posting it for about 2 years.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #14
rookie5.56

any establishment can post the sign here in ohio. as a chl carier ( ohio doesnt have a true ccw ) it is our responsibility to lock it in the vehicle or find another restaurant. I definately agress with stressfire. alot more options out there. Just have to be more alert and apt to your surroundings.
Old October 18, 2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It is more about sending a message to any place that posts. If we get this one to change their minds the next is less likely to discriminate knowing the whole will stand together.
If the whole stands together. The percentage of gun owners who will actually do something about this is very small. I've been around long enough to tell you that maybe 5-10% of gun owners actually take even the most miniscule action at any point in their lives about 2nd Amendment issues.

From the standpoint of management, active gun owners make up a very small percentage of their clientele, possibly no more than those who would protest a requirement that customers wear shoes. The call center will receive a few calls, most of which will be filled with vitriol and negativity, and management will see no need to change their policy.

A better approach would be to approach someone in the local office directly, and to make our case calmly and with civility. A bunch of folks shouting, "from my cold dead hands you food sucks anyway!" and hanging up isn't going to convince them.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:08 PM   #16
ohioleadslinger

People have the right to protest their policy.

If that protest makes for a financial hardship on the business then perhaps they should make a financial decision to end that policy.

To me this situation is analogous to going to a restaurant for years that serves alcohol. Suddenly they have a sign that says no children. They say it is because they feel that children and alcohol don't mix. When the children are not going to come into contact with the alcohol. On top that they are in contradiction to corporate policy.

If someone had children with them and had to leave, wouldn't you think they would complain about the stupid policy?
Old October 18, 2011, 05:45 PM   #17
rookie5.56

To protest, requesting our free will is to downgrade there free will to regulate who there customers are. As we have choices they do too. There are restaurants now adays that dont allow children after certain hours or don't allow children at all. They have the right to. Eat your meal somewhere else and it just free's up a seat for another customer. A gun is just a tool. Even when not carrying a firearm you have other options. Ohio shot itself in the foot when it came to there so called ccw. Did you sign the petition to not pass it and rewrite the bill? I did, I didn't want it to pass till it was rewritten. We have a chl not a ccw. If you don't believe me look at your license it says concealed handgun license. You can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon, when carrying a knife if it is not visible. It is all up to the law enforcements discretion. Protesting a policy of a restaraunt is useless, when the laws give them the right to post the sign. The problems start at the bill, not the establishment!
Old October 18, 2011, 06:14 PM   #18
oneounceload

Personally, I find the food at Applebee's to suck anyway

If that franchisee wants to do that at his business, that is HIS right - just as it is YOUR right NOT to go there

Once you raise your epicurean standards to not include corporate same old-same old, you'll find your worries about CHL to be a non-issue as well
Old October 19, 2011, 01:38 PM   #19
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Dear Applebees,
What an unsatisfying and non-responsive reply to my concerns about lawful, concealed carry, permit holders being prevented from the ability to defend themselves should they patronize your restaurants.

Do I have your legal department to thank? If Applebee's intends to rest on the fact that private business has the right to enact such a policy, it will do it at the peril of it's margins.

Gun owners who hold carry permits are the most law abiding group of individuals in the country. To ask them to choose between patronizing Applebee's and having the ability to protect their families will yield an entirely predictable decision.

They will find somewhere else to have lunch or dinner, presumably at your nearest competitor who has more fully considered the ramifications of such a policy that ignores the current political/social climate vis a vis private bearing of arms per the state constitution.

Christopher Hoffman
--- On Wed, 10/19/11, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Thank you for contacting Applebee's! Here is a reply to your case number 1300XXX
To: [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 7:00 AM

October 19, 2011

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your e-mail. Applebee’s strictly adheres to the local laws and ordinances passed in the communities we serve. Our expectation is that governing bodies will ensure these ordinances are fair and equal throughout a particular community or market so that we can serve each guest at the same consistently high level.

If your concern is about a certain Applebee’s location, we would appreciate any details you can provide about which location it is and any specific incidents that have occurred there. You can reply to this e-mail with any details and we will be happy to make sure the matter is thoroughly investigated.

Sincerely,

Applebee's Guest Relations
Case # 1300XXX
Old October 19, 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
rookie5.56

There you go there not breaking any laws, there adhering to it. You can't do anything without changing the law first. So the problem isn't with the establishment. You can't blame them for there choice, its there choice. It's with laws and bills written by the state. Personally I don't visit establisments that sell alcohol when I'm carrying for one reason. Too many power drinkers and happy hour hoppers. And we all know applebee's has a good happy hour.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:50 PM   #21
Carry_24/7

True, Applebees food is horrid, but their drinks and deserts are tops.

This is pretty much a non-issue for me.
Old October 19, 2011, 04:36 PM   #22
maestro pistolero

Perhaps you can change your user name to Carry_23/7 for days when you have dessert and drinks at Applebee's.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:23 PM   #23
ohioleadslinger

maestro pistolero,

That is corprate policy. We just want them to make the franchisee's follow their policy.

Excellent follow up email. Similar to the one I sent them, except I added that they need to get the franchises to follow their policy.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:40 PM   #24
Patriot86

Am I the only one who likes the Ribs there?

PS: Sadly the drinks are pretty damn good, back when I lived in Florida and was wild and young they had 2 for 1 margaritas on Thursday nights and 2 for 1 Long Island Ice Tea on Tuesday...

How common is the no CCW thing in Ohio? I have been to an area about 45-1hr outside of Cleveland 3 times just this year and about 20+ times in total. I can't remember seeing a single no CCW sign.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:47 PM   #25
maestro pistolero

Their ribs are outstanding. The rest of the menu . . . meh.