The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 5, 1999, 08:16 PM   #26
JJB

Rich,
With the exception of the novel color combinations TFL seems to be working fine for me. I've had no script error messages since early Monday. Good work.

Dennis, Schizophrenia and multiple personality, too. That is too bad. Take your meds and go and sit quietly in the corner. We'll make arrangements to come and pick up your guns -- wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Old January 5, 1999, 11:47 PM   #27
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jim-
Are you seeing strange color combos?
Rich
Old January 6, 1999, 12:42 AM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rich,

The bottom third of the banner is blinking between black and picture. Make it go away. The duct tape kitchen knife isn't coming off until it's fixed.

Gary
Old January 6, 1999, 01:05 AM   #29
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gary-
OK, calm down...we'll get thru this together. Remember what we learned in group....deep breaths....breathe....gooooood. Exhale.

Now. I can't see what you see. What are your computer settings....right click on a blank area of your desktop; Click Properties; Click Settings....what's the color setings typed in the box?

Also, what browser are you using?
Rich

Old January 6, 1999, 01:44 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rich,

I'm computer illiterate so please bear with me.

On my control panel, settings, I've got 256 colors with 96 dpi for font. On color, the spline is set to red.

Regarding browser, are you referring to AOL?

Gary
Old January 6, 1999, 09:21 AM   #31
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gary-
256 colors should be fine...though the colors will be a bit brighter than with "millions" or "true" color.

We need to get you some help in deleting the cookies for TFL so that your computer will load it fresh.

Can anyone help with this?
Rich
Old January 6, 1999, 10:54 AM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

Logged back on this AM and no more blinking. I can get into the DOS mode and delete the cookies as an extra precaution. Thanks Rich.

Gary
Old January 6, 1999, 10:15 PM   #33
Jeff Thomas

<blink><font color="purple">Dennis?</font> <font color="red">Rich?</font><font color="green">Gary?</font><font color="blue"> I like it here in Oz, but how do we get back to Kansas?</font></blink>

This isn't a sense of humor, it's a sickness ... the HTML flu.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-06-99).]
Old January 6, 1999, 10:39 PM   #34
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Oy!

Old January 7, 1999, 01:07 PM   #35
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Jeff Thomas, you RAT!
Here I am struggling to make with the smiley faces, fighting (poorly, I might add) with bold and italics and you go warp speed into COLOR!
I'm destroyed. Let me take my dumb-dumb award and I'll go home. (sobbing heard here)
Oh, shoot! (Rich, that's to make this GUN-related...)
Old January 7, 1999, 04:35 PM   #36
Jeff Thomas

Dennis - actually (and he'll probably be sorry to hear this!), I learned this from Rich. I noticed he, and a few others, had some neat effects in their postings. While you cannot actually edit another member's posts, you can begin to by selecting 'edit' for their post. That's how I realized what Rich was doing, and recognized I could apparently write HTML anywhere in my posts.

Glad you liked it. Since I'm so damned ignorant about weapons, it may be the first chance I've had to look like I've got a qualifying IQ to post here! Adios

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-07-99).]
Old January 7, 1999, 10:53 PM   #37
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Actually guys, HTML is frowned upon as it can easily screw up the threads within the UBB software. Spark...if you read this, can you explain?
You all have been having such a good time here that I just couldn't be a spoil sport.

Under the FAQ section you'll find the UBB version of HTML code which allows you to perform limited, but adequate, functions. If you want to use the HTML for now, carry on. If you get in trouble, we'll fix it and charge you 3 TFL Dollars.
Rich
Old January 8, 1999, 04:17 PM   #38
Jeff Thomas

Rich - I've gotten it out of my system now. I'll explore the UBB code, and, with the exception of URL's, I'll lay off the HTML goodies (good thing you told me - I had other ideas ).

So, mum's the word. Besides, I think I've only got 2 TFL dollars, so I'm on thin ice. Adios
Old January 10, 1999, 01:03 PM   #39
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah guys, UBB code can do everything that HTML can in here, so its best to use it instead of HTML.
I wiped out a whole thread on another forum with a mere typo, and had Spark peeing bricks.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Old January 16, 1999, 11:30 PM   #40
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Here's the skinny on UBB and HTML:

UBB code was designed by the author of this software to avoid thread destroying mistakes. When this software first came out, there was a rash of cases where people who knew enough HTML to hurt themselves took down long running threads, repeatedly. The author gave us the option to "turn off HTML" in the forums, and UBB code is intended to give partial HTML abilities, without all the hard code.

UBB code is much more forgiving of HTML, if you screw it up, it won't mess up the rest of the thread, it just won't work at all.

Hope this helps!

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old January 17, 1999, 10:02 AM   #41
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks for the history and technicals, Spark.
"I knew that"....not!
Rich
Old January 18, 1999, 07:15 AM   #42
Ed Brunner

Spark; You are a good man.
Old January 18, 1999, 11:22 PM   #43
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Nah, I'm just a man like any other....

Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

In any event, when in doubt, don't use HTML. Heck, for that matter, just don't use it period, unless you are absotively, posilutely sure that you will get it right the first time.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old January 21, 1999, 11:17 AM   #44
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Jeez, Spark. I'm not even sure I can spell something right the first time. (or second... etc.)

You sure do a heck of a job with TFL. From what I've seen of other BBs and Chat lines, you must feel somewhat alone in the 21st century.

I (and at least SOME others) wrongfully forget your expertise and efforts because YOUR work is so transparent we concentrate on gun-related subjects. I (we) should recognize it is your technical expertise and Rich's guidance that make TFL the best on the net.

For that, all of us really owe BOTH of you a sincere and more frequent "Thank you".