The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Rogue202

Is mental illness a justification for gun grabbing?

In my opinion, mental illness is just another way of saying "we want your guns." Disarming someone and telling them to rely on the police for safety is not exactly my idea of "protection." Its actually endangerment. While the media tends to have a preoccupation with the idea that anyome who murders another human being must be crazy, but in reality anyone is capable of murder for any reason. In fact, very rarely are murderers ever found to be legitimately incompetent to stand trial. You see, people with mental illness are actually at a higher risk of being victimized in a violent crime than the general population, especially due to how vulnerable they are, which disarming them would make the situation even worse for them.

And also, their rights restriction isn't only limited to guns either. Most government jobs won't accept people with mental illness, not even the military. Even voting is restricted for people with mental illness for no real reason, other than they "might be tricked into voting fraud." Only 14 states allow people who are mentally ill to vote. And of course, the list of rights that are infringed goes well beyond, proving psychiatry as the political tool that it is.

And call this conspiracy theorist all you want, but I find it difficult to believe that a man killed 12 people and wounded 70 others in just a few minutes. While I don't know the full details of the story, but judging by what i do know from the media, James Holmes had 4 guns, but all they talked about was the AR. So, if he did that much damage with just an AR in that little of an amount of time, then that makes the story even less believable for me. Do you expect me to believe that some extremely frustrated and deranged man who was having a psychotic episode could kill that many people in that amount of time? Take note that an AR is only a SEMI automatic, its not fully automatic. If you shoot it like it is, it would jam 9 times out of 10. And to the untrained individual, that would either be the end of that gun or he would next couple of minutes clearing it before getting tackled.

You also hear quite a bit about "magazine restrictions." Because 10 round magazines will stop a mass shooting, right? Well, no, and whoever believes that is a fool who knows absolutely notjing about guns. It takes considerably less times to simply reload say, a pistol, than to clear a jammed AR. In fact, it should probably take a few seconds or less. The only people this will actually affect are those who are defending themselves. If you wake up in the middle of the night during a home invason and you don't have enough time to take more than one ten round magazine with you, you probably wont last long in a gunfight. Especially in a concealed carry scenario. Its kinda like Joe Biden trying to be slick by saying we should disarm ourselves by wastinhg our only two rounds in the air, instead of stopping the intruders.

What part of "the inalienable right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Old May 25, 2016, 02:58 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

rant.

closed.